• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fire Bill Moos

Add men's ice hockey and women's FIELD HOCKEY, there problem solved. Not that this has anything to do with collegiate hockey but our little rink at the Y in Fremont was paying 27K in utilities a month, I know in the scheme of things that doesn't seem like much, but taking into account all that goes into a D1 sport, I don't see how Nebraska can have hockey, at least while UNO has it, the sponsorship dollars can only go so far. Plus you would have to play a PNB and the cost to turnover from hockey to basketball and back is not cheap, plus I couldn't imagine the scheduling. Could it be done, sure but I don't see it happen.

From the recruiting standpoint, this area is not a hotbed of hockey, yes Arizona State has a program but they also have a pro team and who wouldn't want to play hockey then walk outside into 80 degrees in December/January.

Again, this thread was in jest, I love hockey and would love to see it in Lincoln, heck I might even give up two of my football tickets to get hockey tickets, but it is not prudent nor smart nor a good investment to have hockey at this time.

And NO, women's hockey is not real hockey. ;)

Theses article don't talk so much about the handshake deal between UNO-UNL, but plenty of folks are sort of reading between the lines.

More of concern is that UNO also wanted to move their hockey team up to the Summit League in D-1. UNO dropped both wrestling and football. They cited financial concerns and truthfully, it's probably a bigger strain to be an independent in football at lower levels. They're not Notre Dame or BYU. Plus, they'd need to spend an extra $2M annually on football to compete in the lower levels of D-1, and the entire athletic budget is something like $1.3M.

Maverick football wasn't much to write home about - especially compared to UNO hockey - but wrestling got the raw deal. It's a big sport in the area (see: UNL, Iowa, ISU, etc) and there is plenty of talent. Further, they pulled the rug out on the wrestling team without any notice, after they had just won the D-2 National Championship. That's pretty screwed up any way you slice it.

In UNO keeps mismanaging their athletics, UNL should probably just add a hockey team. The Mavs will be bankrupt in a couple seasons at this rate.
Thanks man. Yeah, I was apart of both the football and wrestling at UNO and Trev’s move still rubs me the wrong way, especially for the Omaha metro kids that aren’t D1 talent. Agree UNO football wasn’t winning natty’s like wrestling (3 yrs in a row btw), but they were very competitive in a tough D2 conference and had several players go to the NFL.

Theses article don't talk so much about the handshake deal between UNO-UNL, but plenty of folks are sort of reading between the lines.

More of concern is that UNO also wanted to move their hockey team up to the Summit League in D-1. UNO dropped both wrestling and football. They cited financial concerns and truthfully, it's probably a bigger strain to be an independent in football at lower levels. They're not Notre Dame or BYU. Plus, they'd need to spend an extra $2M annually on football to compete in the lower levels of D-1, and the entire athletic budget is something like $1.3M.

Maverick football wasn't much to write home about - especially compared to UNO hockey - but wrestling got the raw deal. It's a big sport in the area (see: UNL, Iowa, ISU, etc) and there is plenty of talent. Further, they pulled the rug out on the wrestling team without any notice, after they had just won the D-2 National Championship. That's pretty screwed up any way you slice it.

In UNO keeps mismanaging their athletics, UNL should probably just add a hockey team. The Mavs will be bankrupt in a couple seasons at this rate.
BTW, I agree this probably had UN-L’s agreement. UNO is basically a sub-school of UNL. My degree from UNO says from the University of “Lincoln AND Omaha” for engineering cause it’s based out of Lincoln. We’d have to be naive to think Lincoln doesn’t have some sort of impact the other Nebraska universities.

From the linked article: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_b56b03e5-c1dc-5a31-a5cc-a4a0e4108f0f.html

» Moos said he doesn't plan on adding a hockey team, for multiple reasons. The main one, he said, is Title IX obligations.

If there was ever a reason to can an AD I think the above, in red, is more than enough reason.

Whose with me? Can someone start one of them, online petition thingys.

You can't be serious. He's made A+ hires for the two flagship sports. The football program is on an upward trajectory not seen in a decade, at least, and Hoiberg will have the basketball team in the NCAA tournament in less than three years. I'm taken aback by anyone who is not giddy over the job he's done.

You can't be serious. He's made A+ hires for the two flagship sports. The football program is on an upward trajectory not seen in a decade, at least, and Hoiberg will have the basketball team in the NCAA tournament in less than three years. I'm taken aback by anyone who is not giddy over the job he's done.

It was bored off-season sarcasm to get a discussion going :)

Please visit post #8 and post #21, that should answer your question. I would have thought the use of 'petition thingys' would have been a give away. Wow.

It is unfortunately true that we complain about some crazy things from time to time.

Yep, some can't seem to appreciate prosperity ... nor do they make much differentiation between prosperity and poverty.

I'm just hoping that we are truly coming out of my lifetime's "Dark Ages."

I would much prefer to watch Rugby 7s, the Rugby World Cup, and the Soccer World Cup before I watched Rugby on ice.....Those events are far better sporting events than a college tournament of any sport.

not a worthless topic at all. NU can be know as just a football school. At the while the other schools join in on the fun.

Go Sioux
Go Gophers
Go UMD

If you have never been to the frozen 4 you are missing the best sporting event of all sports

I would much prefer to watch Rugby 7s, the Rugby World Cup, and the Soccer World Cup before I watched Rugby on ice.....Those events are far better sporting events than a college tournament of any sport.
even nothing else, rugby match would be s good place to go if you needed a nap

Soccer over Hockey? Any hockey? I used to like you but not sure about you now.

like the rifle team?

OSU and Penn state added hockey team because the wanted to compete in the BIG.

Terry Pegula gave Penn State 100 million for them to add a hockey team. You keep talking of losses yet every school the alumni offset those losses with huge donations. If Moos can’t figure that out maybe he should find a job he does know
For me its about money .... if someone walked up and said here's $100M to field a Nebraska men's and women's hockey team .... I'd buy into that!

I got to go now ... waiting for Jennifer Aniston to call and request our first date!

For me its about money .... if someone walked up and said here's $100M to field a Nebraska men's and women's hockey team .... I'd buy into that!

I got to go now ... waiting for Jennifer Aniston to call and request our first date!

I don't think Penn State has Womens Hockey that is DI, I think it is club so that 100 mil given to PSU was only for men's hockey.

Sorry got to go Cindy Crawford and I are going for dinner, hope Jennifer gets a hold of you soon maybe we could double.

Sorry, they are DI my bad.

Last edited:

I may be wrong but I don't think title IX requires identical sports, just equal scholarships. If men's hockey is 10 scholarships then NU would just need to add 10 women's athletic scholarships in any sport. That can be new or existing sports but does not require it to be hockey.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back