• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Radio Saturdays

In Tennessee? Where's home?

Nash, there are quite a few of us in the middle TN area. I know I always see a few red N's on window stickers or bumpers on my way in from Murfreesboro up I-24 (pretty easy to spot nowadays since I-24 is basically a parking lot when you get to Smyrna/Lavergne area).

A variety of experiences growing up. Never ever listened to tv broadcast, always turned down the sound and listened to the radio which was more or less in sync with the tv signal. My dad would get so frustrated sometimes, he would stomp out of the room and go work in the garage (where he would turn on the radio and keep listening!). I used to kick a football at the back of the house and in exciting moments my leg seemed to respond to the challenge of kicking it over the house and into the street in front (about 70 yards or so from the spot in the back yard). When I went to college (Midland) would always have a headset radio listening to the NU games while watching Midland play. Moving away from Omaha after graduation, lived in Dallas and in the Houston area, always had access to the radio broadcast, although while in the Houston area, had to drive 50 miles to get the signal. Then moved to Tennessee and thankfully the internet came along at that time so I've been pretty lucky with maintaining contact. My wife does not like football at all so I'm relegated to a separate room to listen/watch these days. Just drag my laptop and my snacks into the "viewing room" and listen online while watching on tv. Not a good sync between radio and tv but I don't really mind it. These days, my dad has passed but my 95 year old mother will still give me a call after the game to break it down and to my knowledge, has never criticized a player (maybe a coach or two) since they always give it their best shot in her eyes. I sometimes kid her about her failing eyesight but she still loves the Huskers!

You can't pause your video to sync with the audio?

I kind of wish the Huskervision audio player would allow you to go forward or backward to help with syncing to my TV.

Last edited:
Occasionally I'll see, hear or smell something that brings back memories from the past. I'm not always blessed with perfect memories of things that happened in the last few years, sometimes not the last few days either, but I can recall with clarity that is sometimes disturbing things that are completely amazing to me from years ago.

Recently my youngest was home from school and happened to be up early Sunday morning watching an old Nebraska game on YouTube, only half paying attention while he did some homework. The game was an early season 1977 contest against Alabama. He was facing me and I couldn't see the screen on his laptop, but I could hear the audio of Keith Jackson and man did it bring back memories.

My family moved to Colorado from Nebraska in 1972. Cable TV didn't exist, so it was usually one local and one national game a weekend. That was all, so most Saturdays I listened to the Nebraska game on the radio. Coloradan's for Nebraska had some affiliation to the broadcasts that I don't think I ever really understood, but I'm quite positive I owe them a great debt for keeping me tied to Nebraska football for the decade between my arrival in enemy territory and the advent of cable TV and greatly enhanced access to Husker football. Every week I'd look through the TV guide looking for 'Nebraska' on Saturday's, usually to be disappointed except for one non conference game a year and two or three Big 8 games if I was lucky, so it was mostly radio broadcasts. I'd spend Saturday mornings making sure I'd taken care of all I needed to to be allowed to spend the three hours by the radio instead of working on something for my folks. Breakfast, chores, Nebraska football. I'd get chills running up and down my spine when I'd hear 'Nebraska Football is on the air!'

The play by play descriptions were only enhanced by my over active imagination to paint a picture I couldn't see. Lyle or his successors setting the stage, calling out the lineups, describing the formations, I lived for it all. Descriptions of their uniforms and those of the opponents, the crowd, the sky and weather, the sounds caught by the mikes that helped complete the picture were always part of my Saturdays.

Phrases like this from '76 still bounce around my memory to this day:

'Huskers in their home scarlet jerseys and cream pants in front of another sellout crowd at Memorial Stadium. NU with the football at their own 20, driving North to South, right to left, against the wind. I formation from the left hashmark, Ferragamo under center, Craig in the slot to the left, Malito split out to wide side'

The names I'll never forget. Ferragamo, Curtis Craig, Dave Butterfield, Chuck Malito, Andra Franklin, Tom Sorley, Richard Berns, Jeff Quinn, Junior Miller, Steve Damkroger, Tim Hager, IM Hipp, Jarvis Redwine and so many more. The games I recall like they were yesterday. The '76 loss to Iowa State and an early morning radio broadcast of the Hawaii road game. The '77 obliteration Oklahoma put on Nebraska that cost me a quarter bet to a school buddy. The '78 heartbreak against Missouri after finally getting the monkey off our backs the week before. I sat many a Saturday in the upstairs family room in front of my dad's old Telefunken, tuned into Husker football, rooting for the Big Red to win the day.

I can see it all like it happened yesterday. From the time I was 7 or 8 until my early 30's, I attended, watched on TV or listened to almost every Nebraska football game played. I'd say better than 75% of the games were radio broadcasts until the mid '80's and while I'm glad I can see them all now, I'll admit I miss the simpler times of 'Husker Football is on the air!'.

I was pissed when we had a few High School football games my junior and senior years on Saturday and not Friday night. I took the radio with me when I started working in construction and listened to the games as best I could, sometimes not so well when we were out in a field in the mountains or on the plains.

Times change and things move on, but I'll never forget those Saturday afternoons. I tried to explain it to my youngest while he studied and the '77 NU-Alabama game played in the background, but it just wasn't the same for him and isn't for his generation. They've always had video. They've always seen it, not heard it and imagined it. He'll never know what it was like to hear Lyle call a play, a score or a Husker victory. I remember it like it was last Saturday.

In my best Lyle Bremser voice: "Man, woman and child, did that put 'em in the isles. Crab Husker just tore 'em loose from their shoes!!!!!!!"

Great stuff, Crab, well written. You captured many of our beginnings as Husker fans. For me, it was special times with my dad, either working on cars or, in pheasant season, driving dirt roads looking for good hunting spots.

It can never be quite the same as back then, but I've continued my radio listening, of sorts, connected to Husker football. Huskers IMG Network covers all games, it streams live in a couple different places, but Tune-In Radio has the most reliable stream. Pregame starts about 3 hours before game time, and I'm on it from the beginning, then switch over to TV for the game itself. It's not quite as friendly to my schedule before early games, but I still get a substantial portion of the coverage doing chores, getting a batch of cabbage burgers going, etc.. Tractor commercials, seed corn commercials, interviews of many, many university folks, its a roundhouse menu, and for a Nebraska lover like me who lives out of state, it is outstanding. The current crew - and these guys work pretty hard at it, is here:

Greg Sharpe, Matt Davison, Ben McLaughlin, Nate Rohr, Matt Coatney, Brenden Stai, Steve Taylor, Josh Hilkemann, Brett Witty, Brandon Gries, Austin Oerman and Ryan Swanigan will bring another exciting season of football to Husker fans across the nation led by Director of Broadcast Operations Mike Elliott.
http://www.huskers.com/attachments1/files/100/608137.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

Last edited:

People tell me they remember how deserted everything was when a game was on but I don't remember it that way. I remember the air completely saturated with the radio broadcast. You could go anywhere and hear the game. Stores had it playing on their speakers. Everyone was raking leaves and had their radio in the window at full volume.You could ride your bike down the street and not miss a play. If by chance you did miss any part of the game, there was always someone around who could tell you the score.

To this day, when the weather cools and the trees shed their leaves, I smell those leaves burning and I hear Lyle Bremser calling plays. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

You can't pause your video to sync with the audio?

I kind of wish the Huskervision audio player would allow you to go forward or backward to help with syncing to my TV.
Never seems to sync up right and then it gets out of whack when the router gets squirrelly. Time to get a new router but haven't got around to it yet.

Nash, there are quite a few of us in the middle TN area. I know I always see a few red N's on window stickers or bumpers on my way in from Murfreesboro up I-24 (pretty easy to spot nowadays since I-24 is basically a parking lot when you get to Smyrna/Lavergne area).
I see the Nebraskans wandering around middle Tennessee as well. I’m not far off I 24 in Nolensville. We should think about getting a watch the site put together.

I wish that too! A Husker Max member who was an electrical engineer explained how to add a gizmo to my TV but I was in over my head and never made the modification. I’m gonna fiddle with your idea of stop/starting the video...

love this thread thanks to everyone. grew up in central iowa and was basically relegated to radio broadcast of iowa football with jim zippermouth zabel. listened to day broadcast and then listened to repeat at 1030 or 1100 again saturday night. would watch nebraska whenever thay happened to be on tv. a true brightspot in the hardest part of my life. even to this day if you show me a video replay of an old nebraska game i'm amazed at how much i can remember of the plays and players. cant remember seems like much else but those uneventful plays are still stuck in my mind.

listened to Gopher football every Saturday 60s 70s 80s. Fall day at a lake or in the park. Trees lit up in every color. Just hanging out good friends and game in the background. Talking about it’s not to far off before we lace up the skates Whst park we we claim this year.

listened to Gopher football every Saturday 60s 70s 80s. Fall day at a lake or in the park. Trees lit up in every color. Just hanging out good friends and game in the background. Talking about it’s not to far off before we lace up the skates Whst park we we claim this year.

Pops, how did you become a Husker fan?

Pops, how did you become a Husker fan?

Pheasant hunting border of Iowa Neb. Duck hunting as well. We would knock on the land owner door and ask if we could hunt. To the person it was sure as soon as game is over. What! What game? Nebraska you dumb ass. so couple years went by and saw the 82 Neb Miami game when TO went for 2 instead of a sure tie

I was hooked

I forgot the game that changed football for college fans forever. Thanksgiving day, 1971 Oklahoma. I can still find the exact place where I sat on the floor to watch the game. We had always had the big meal at straight up noon. Since no one in the family had a house that could accommodate everyone sitting in front of the lone TV, the meal was moved to the evening. I heard many years later that 65% of the USA adjusted their meal time around the Game of the Century. Too much money for TV execs to pass up. Sure it took a couple of decades to get all the TV networks in place rather than just the 3 we had back in 1971. But after that game, it quickly became more than just 1 game a week. And that was when college football became more of a money-grubbing business and less of a college sporting event. Still, it is nice to have every game on TV. Even if it is just to record the game while at the stadium.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back