• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Radio Saturdays

While it is very romantical to listen on the radIo, it could also be extremely frustrating. "Sorley sends it down the right sideline. He has a man. It's Tim Smith, he's got it at the Missouri six yard line, ohhh what a throw! NO,........they're saying it's Missouri's ball! It was intercepted! The safety must have got in there and taken it away." Never could understand why the announcer wouldn't wait to know what he was saying before reporting it. It wasn't like I would have known everything was happening three seconds sooner than he was saying it. He has to realize it is life and death on the receiving end of his words, right?

You want exciting radio? Remember when they wouldn't show Indy live? "Here they come into turn three, it's Andretti with Unser and Foyt right behind zeeeaaaarrr, zeeeeaaaarrr.......zeeeeaaaarrr. Over to you in turn four Chris! Yeah, it is still Andretti with Unser and then Foyt zeeeeaaarrr, zeeeeaaarr........zeeeeaaarrr"

When our kids grow up and watch games in VR and it will be like actually being in the stadium if not on the field, they will look back at staring at a sixty inch tv in a fixed spot in the room like we remember the radio.
I also remember a lyle call. It went something like this......Their QB is rolling out, we got him on the run, this is gonna be a BBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGG loss.....but he scraps forward to get some of it back. Ok looks like 2nd and 7.

Really enjoyed that post ... would only add that when the radio broadcast was over, we would find our neighborhood friends for some touch football when playing in the street or tackle football in an empty lot & of course role play some of our favorite players of the season like Tagge, Humm, Frosty Anderson or the Tecumseh Tornado ...

And at halftime!

Growing up in Ogallala in the 60's, Dad and I would listen to all the games on the radio. Joe Orduna, Light Horse Harry Wilson, Frankie Solich, those are some great memories. Dad was the band director so we would go to Band Day, and my first game was in 62'. I still talk to him about those days and with him at 94, I am lucky to be able to have those conservations. He would bounce between Lyle Bremser and Dick Perry on the radio. The radio portion is still better than the audio on the tv.

For us, it was going to grandparents house each Saturday to listen or occasionally watch the games. One weekend in November would be at the other grandparents house, raking leaves with the radio outside at almost full volume. Nothing like jumping in a big pile of leaves after a win.

1989-1992 was in Germany, hoping the game would be on AFRTS/AFN. Taped a few games on cassettes to listen to later on. Of course I had to be stationed with FSU and Washington fans then. Stopped making wagers for beer after that.

While it is very romantical to listen on the radIo, it could also be extremely frustrating. "Sorley sends it down the right sideline. He has a man. It's Tim Smith, he's got it at the Missouri six yard line, ohhh what a throw! NO,........they're saying it's Missouri's ball! It was intercepted! The safety must have got in there and taken it away." Never could understand why the announcer wouldn't wait to know what he was saying before reporting it. It wasn't like I would have known everything was happening three seconds sooner than he was saying it. He has to realize it is life and death on the receiving end of his words, right?

You want exciting radio? Remember when they wouldn't show Indy live? "Here they come into turn three, it's Andretti with Unser and Foyt right behind zeeeaaaarrr, zeeeeaaaarrr.......zeeeeaaaarrr. Over to you in turn four Chris! Yeah, it is still Andretti with Unser and then Foyt zeeeeaaarrr, zeeeeaaarr........zeeeeaaarrr"

When our kids grow up and watch games in VR and it will be like actually being in the stadium if not on the field, they will look back at staring at a sixty inch tv in a fixed spot in the room like we remember the radio.
I remember listening on the internet in the early to mid 2000s. The announcer then never seemed to get the yard marker right until like the third try, They were not off by just a little either. I remember like. "He is at the 35,40 45, 50, no he is down at the 42 for a 7 yard gain. " I remember thinking you just said he went past the 50 now we are at the 42 8 yards short of the 50? Come on dude.

Growing up in Ogallala in the 60's, Dad and I would listen to all the games on the radio. Joe Orduna, Light Horse Harry Wilson, Frankie Solich, those are some great memories. Dad was the band director so we would go to Band Day, and my first game was in 62'. I still talk to him about those days and with him at 94, I am lucky to be able to have those conservations. He would bounce between Lyle Bremser and Dick Perry on the radio. The radio portion is still better than the audio on the tv.
My dad and I did listen through the 70s in our basement on a heath kit stereo that he built. My poor mom in the 70s. Every Oklahoma game. (we had the tv on with the sound turned down and the radio on.) At the end of the game my Mom would say, Osbourne is never going to beat Oklahoma. Which occasionally drew an "Oh shut up." Reaction from my dad or I. Followed about 15 minutes later by 30 minutes of apologizing by dad and I. These were some of the really close games like 17-14 where sooner Magic came into play. I remember one game in particular where Andra Franklin fumbled on like the 1 yard line going in having not fumbled the rest of the season. We were mad at the game not her. Luckily she always forgave us after a big hug. Mom's are great.

My dad and I did listen through the 70s in our basement on a heath kit stereo that he built. My poor mom in the 70s. Every Oklahoma game. (we had the tv on with the sound turned down and the radio on.) At the end of the game my Mom would say, Osbourne is never going to beat Oklahoma. Which occasionally drew an "Oh shut up." Reaction from my dad or I. Followed about 15 minutes later by 30 minutes of apologizing by dad and I. These were some of the really close games like 17-14 where sooner Magic came into play. I remember one game in particular where Andra Franklin fumbled on like the 1 yard line going in having not fumbled the rest of the season. We were mad at the game not her. Luckily she always forgave us after a big hug. Mom's are great.
Mom's are great. She always had a favorite player and the last one before she passed in 2016 was Kenny Bell. I got her a Bell Jersey and a signed small poster of Kenny. She really enjoyed the games even though she never really understood the game.

Super post. I miss those radio calls too.

In the days before cable TV and cell phones I remember sitting and listening to Tom Jonson on KFAB after the game to catch all the national scores and then speculating along with with my dad and brother on where NU would be in the next AP poll.

Those were good days.

Or the call in show after the games, fans complaining that if we could only beat ISU by 40, we wouldn't likely beat OU for the conf champ.

#spoiledHuskerfanproblems

At the end of the game my Mom would say, Osbourne is never going to beat Oklahoma. Which occasionally drew an "Oh shut up." Reaction from my dad or I. Followed about 15 minutes later by 30 minutes of apologizing by dad and I. These were some of the really close games like 17-14 where sooner Magic came into play. I remember one game in particular where Andra Franklin fumbled on like the 1 yard line going in having not fumbled the rest of the season. We were mad at the game not her. Luckily she always forgave us after a big hug. Mom's are great.
Mom would be nervous during big games and would hide in the bathroom at tense moments.

A variety of experiences growing up. Never ever listened to tv broadcast, always turned down the sound and listened to the radio which was more or less in sync with the tv signal. My dad would get so frustrated sometimes, he would stomp out of the room and go work in the garage (where he would turn on the radio and keep listening!). I used to kick a football at the back of the house and in exciting moments my leg seemed to respond to the challenge of kicking it over the house and into the street in front (about 70 yards or so from the spot in the back yard). When I went to college (Midland) would always have a headset radio listening to the NU games while watching Midland play. Moving away from Omaha after graduation, lived in Dallas and in the Houston area, always had access to the radio broadcast, although while in the Houston area, had to drive 50 miles to get the signal. Then moved to Tennessee and thankfully the internet came along at that time so I've been pretty lucky with maintaining contact. My wife does not like football at all so I'm relegated to a separate room to listen/watch these days. Just drag my laptop and my snacks into the "viewing room" and listen online while watching on tv. Not a good sync between radio and tv but I don't really mind it. These days, my dad has passed but my 95 year old mother will still give me a call after the game to break it down and to my knowledge, has never criticized a player (maybe a coach or two) since they always give it their best shot in her eyes. I sometimes kid her about her failing eyesight but she still loves the Huskers!

Last edited:

I loved listening to Lyell and Kent, but Jim, (“check that”) Rose was almost un-listenable.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back