• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former Coach Zach Smith

Good luck with that. He stated where he heard it from and it's not like the dad is some random guy.

Yes, Brett should have been more careful but he clearly has a vendetta against Urbs and Urbs against him.

I would agree. I am still wondering though, if Urban's wife knew the stuff that was going on with the assistants abuse etc. but didn't tell Urban (I think she said he didn't know), and she, I believe is on the Nursing School staff at Ohio State, why isn't she in trouble for not forwarding that information that she knew was a violation of Title IX? Maybe I am wrong but I thought there was an article about her and being employed by the school.

I would agree. I am still wondering though, if Urban's wife knew the stuff that was going on with the assistants abuse etc. but didn't tell Urban (I think she said he didn't know), and she, I believe is on the Nursing School staff at Ohio State, why isn't she in trouble for not forwarding that information that she knew was a violation of Title IX? Maybe I am wrong but I thought there was an article about her and being employed by the school.
I remember having this discussion but no idea why she didn't get in more trouble. Or if she did, I don't recall hearing about it.

I feel bad for the kids. It sounds like both parents have issues and the kids are caught in the middle.
Smith's attorney, Brad Koffel, released a statement to WSYX-TV in Columbus on his arrest.

"Same old, same old. Absolutely malicious move by his ex-wife to have Zach arrested at their kids' school when he was there to pick them up," the statement said. "She's in contempt of court for not giving him the kids last night which she was supposed to. Just very sad for the children. 100% avoidable by both of them."

Courtney Smith's attorney, Julia Leveridge, provided a statement to the Blade on Thursday's incident.

"This was not Mr. Smith’s court-ordered parenting time, and the school is not the exchange location," the stament read. "School personnel attempted to protect Courtney by placing her in a room away from Mr. Smith. After entering the elementary school, Mr. Smith was involved in an altercation with school personnel whom initially contacted the police."

Last edited:

If it wasn't UM's wife there would have been a lot of trouble imo. I suspect UM knew a lot more what was going on with Smith for a lot longer then was ever admitted. There are standards for regular folks and then standards for people like UM imo.

I feel bad for the kids. It sounds like both parents have issues and the kids are caught in the middle.
I gave the ex-wife the benefit of the doubt in the beginning because he seemed to so clearly be a dirtbag, but there is too much inexplicable stuff that's come out since then.
  1. Her own mother says that she's exaggerating;
  2. Urban and Shelly Meyer treated the first reported instance of domestic violence (while still at Florida) as though it was more of an exaggeration than a reality;
  3. She clearly benefits as far as custody, child-support, and alimony by portraying him in the worst light possible (though that backfires if he can't get another similar job because he won't have the income to sustain the same child-support and alimony);
  4. She seems to be putting him in situations--like the one described in the article--where he's clearly going to lose his sp!t, which will also benefit her the same as #3.
If he was supposed to have custody the night before, but she didn't bring the kids to him, this could all backfire back onto her. He certainly didn't help his situation by blowing up, but I'd hate to think how I'd respond if something similar happened to me, and school officials wouldn't let me have access to my own children.

On the other hand, if there's a reasonable explanation and/or it's false about him supposedly having custody the previous night, he's going to lose almost all visitation rights in the future. I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, and I also genuinely think that he's acted like a dirtbag. You'd hope that they could work out enough of a compromise so as to avoid further scarring their children.

Last edited:
I gave the ex-wife the benefit of the doubt in the beginning because he seemed to so clearly be a dirtbag, but there is too much inexplicable stuff that's come out since then.
  1. Her own mother says that she's exaggerating;
  2. Urban and Shelly Meyer treated the first reported instance of domestic violence (while still at Florida) as though it was more of an exaggeration than a reality;
  3. She clearly benefits as far as custody, child-support, and alimony by portraying him in the worse light possible (though that backfires if he can't get another similar job because he won't have the income to sustain the same child-support and alimony);
  4. She seems to be putting him in situations--like the one described in the article--where he's clearly going to lose his crap, which will also benefit her the same as #3.
If he was supposed to have custody the night before, but she didn't bring the kids to him, this could all backfire back onto her. He certainly didn't help his situation by blowing up, but I'd hate to think how I'd respond if something similar happened to me, and school officials wouldn't let me have access to my own children.

On the other hand, if there's a reasonable explanation and/or it's false about him supposedly having custody the previous night, he's going to lose almost all visitation rights in the future. I genuinely feel sorry for the guy, and I also genuinely think that he's acted like a dirtbag. You'd hope that they could work out enough of a compromise so as to avoid further scarring their children.
1-4 could all be explained by him being a functioning alcoholic. I knew many guys in the Corps that seemed like the nicest guys in the world at work. So to everyone from the outside they looked like great guys. Even people (Like mother inlaws) did not believe that they were capable of abuse. Put a little alcohol in them and they became the meanest abusers on the planet. Only people that saw them drunk saw that side. I had a former friend I had to testify on at a court martial.

1-4 could all be explained by him being a functioning alcoholic. I knew many guys in the Corps that seemed like the nicest guys in the world at work. So to everyone from the outside they looked like great guys. Even people (Like mother inlaws) did not believe that they were capable of abuse. Put a little alcohol in them and they became the meanest abusers on the planet. Only people that saw them drunk saw that side. I had a former friend I had to testify on at a court martial.
Really? So many people around his ex wife including his parents and siblings say she is crazy and exaggerating things and you want to say is is a functioning alcoholic because you knew many guys in the Corps.

Really? So many people around his ex wife including his parents and siblings say she is crazy and exaggerating things and you want to say is is a functioning alcoholic because you knew many guys in the Corps.
I simply state it as a possibility.

Has Zach Smith done anything whatsoever that leads you to believe he's a stable guy?
I agree, but that cuts both ways: What is wrong with her that she has been with this guy for this long? Unhealthy people tend to attract and be attractive to other unhealthy people. He's very clearly got issues, but how many healthy, well-adjusted people have you met who 1) is married to a guy like him, 2) has a mother who says that she's unstable and exaggerating? Maybe her mom is loaded with issues, too, but then that means that the daughter somehow grew up healthy, even with a dysfunctional mother, then--despite growing up to be healthy--she marries into and stays in a dysfunctional marriage. It's possible but not common or likely.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back