• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

SOCCER 2018-2019

So what's everyone's take on the Leeds/Aston Villa situation? For me, I didn't have a problem with Leeds playing on, but I can see where people have a problem with the Leeds player acting like he was going to put the ball out, only to send in a through ball on goal. I absolutely hate the idea that teams have to send the ball out because someone is grabbing at their ankle after a hard tackle. Everyone on the field could clearly see the Aston Villa player wasn't hurt, but was trying to slow play down. If a team wants to halt play, win the ball back. Obviously, head injuries are different. With all that said, I didn't have a problem with the Leeds manager telling his team to allow a goal for AV.

The diving and simulation has worked it's way down to the high school and youth level. It is my least favorite part of the men's game. These strong, agile athletes can do amazing things with their feet and a ball; yet, someone brushes them and it's down like they've been shot. It leads to a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario as well.

By comparison, most women's teams (main exception being Brazil) do not take the dive and play on.

Note that late substitutions to chew up the clock is another peeve. At a recent high school game, the leading coach substituted a single player on each of three consecutive dead balls within a very short time period. Maybe put in a rule that you have to play 5 minutes of game time between substitutions. In theory, the referee should be tracking stoppage time here anyway and it just slows the game down.

So what's everyone's take on the Leeds/Aston Villa situation? For me, I didn't have a problem with Leeds playing on, but I can see where people have a problem with the Leeds player acting like he was going to put the ball out, only to send in a through ball on goal. I absolutely hate the idea that teams have to send the ball out because someone is grabbing at their ankle after a hard tackle. Everyone on the field could clearly see the Aston Villa player wasn't hurt, but was trying to slow play down. If a team wants to halt play, win the ball back. Obviously, head injuries are different. With all that said, I didn't have a problem with the Leeds manager telling his team to allow a goal for AV.

I have no problem with it. Unless the ref blows it dead its fair play.

Leeds manager I do have a problem with

Good to see Leeds rising again. One of the great teams in England and Europe for decades until financial misdeeds nearly did them in. Will be good to see them back in the EPL next season if they prevail in the playoffs

With all the simulation that occurs anymore, I'm all for continuing play unless the ref stops it. Wasn't it Bamford who scored the goal for Leeds? Is he still on loan from Chelsea? That said, I'm also all for the Aston defender destroying Bamford before he cuts in and taking the card since it appeared everyone but 2 guys stopped playing. It would have been different if all of Leeds players continued on. That's on Aston. But once most of the Leeds guys pulled up.....that should be the signal to play it out. It's a fine line, I guess. That said, it's still on Aston to play it out.

Last edited:
With all the simulation that occurs anymore, I'm all for continuing play unless the ref stops it. Wasn't it Bamford who scored the goal for Leeds? Is he still on loan from Chelsea? That said, I'm also all for the Aston defender destroying Bamford before he cuts in and taking the card since it appeared everyone but 2 guys stopped playing. It would have been different if all of Leeds players continued on. That's on Aston. But once most of the Leeds guys pulled up.....that should be the signal to play it out. It's a fine line, I guess. That said, it's still on Aston to play it out.

We agree

I have no problem with it. Unless the ref blows it dead its fair play.

Leeds manager I do have a problem with

Good to see Leeds rising again. One of the great teams in England and Europe for decades until financial misdeeds nearly did them in. Will be good to see them back in the EPL next season if they prevail in the playoffs

What's your take on how the Leeds manager approached the situation?

What's your take on how the Leeds manager approached the situation?

Like I said I disagree with what he wanted to do. I get and am all about sportsmanship but in this case it did not apply

Oh and an aside Mansfield Town is on the cusp of being promoted to League 1. At worst they will be in the playoffs. My mom would be happy

Like I said I disagree with what he wanted to do. I get and am all about sportsmanship but in this case it did not apply

Oh and an aside Mansfield Town is on the cusp of being promoted to League 1. At worst they will be in the playoffs. My mom would be happy

Good for Mansfield Town. I'm sure promotion would be a great achievement.

Good for Mansfield Town. I'm sure promotion would be a great achievement.

Yup a long road back after being relegated from league to non league status a decade or so ago. Took five years to get back into League Two and they have not looked back. Teams like my mom's hometown team are what English football is truly about

I have a feeling, in 5 years, we are going to look back on this Ajax team and shake our heads, amazed at how stacked they were with young talent. We already know about De Ligt, De Jong and Mazraoui. But guys like Van der Beek and Ziyech wrecked havoc on Tot today. Just a fun team to watch. Mostly all young and disciplined. Old man Tadic even looked formidable today.

Last edited:
Also of note, Omaha was just awarded a USL League 1 team for play in 2020. Basically 3rd division in the US hierarchy. Exciting nonetheless.

Did I read the team will play at Werner Park? That's going to be a tough sell.

Similar set up to Yankee Stadium for NYFC, I'd think. Narrow pitch.

Werner Park isn't a great locale to get to, but not horrible.

They better pick classic colors. I'm not buying a teal shirt.

I actually think Omaha is a better city for women's soccer. I'd rather have an expansion NWSL team but they would require a real soccer stadium, I'd think. I know Barcelona is looking to get into the league. Maybe if I put in a call to Pique, it would get Omaha in their sights.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back