• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 New Offers Going Out

Maarten Woudsma
Allow me to put my (otherwise useless) knowledge of onomastics to use here:

"Woudsma" is a Frisian name. Friesland is the northern part of the Netherlands where the people are Frisian, as opposed to Dutch (or Nederlander), which is the ethnicity of Holland, i.e. southern Netherlands. "Wouds" in Frisian means ... I have no idea. I can't find it online, but it's either something related to "Woden," i.e. "Odin," the chief pagan god of the Germanic and Norse peoples, or it's a funky Frisian way of spelling "woods" since most Anglo-Saxon words in English are closely correlated with their Frisian counterparts as Frisian is the closest language to English, i.e. "Anglo-Saxon." The -sma ending is the Frisian signifier for occupation and/or location, so the name likely means "of the woods" and/or "woodsman," though it might mean "Wodin's dude," or equivalent.

Frisian names are actually quite common in both the U.S. and Canada, so by itself it signifies little. With the first name "Maarten," however, now we're pretty clearly talking about somebody either from the Netherlands or (at the most) one generation removed from the Netherlands. "Maarten" is the Dutch & Frisian equivalent of the English name "Martin." It's very rare that anyone chooses that spelling for that name unless they're Dutch or Frisian.

He's listed as going to school in Chesapeake, VA, which is located adjacent to Norfolk, VA, and Virginia Beach, VA, which happen to be where a lot of foreign folks who work in conjunction with the U.S. military end up living as there are U.S. Naval bases there, plus U.S. Marines who work in intelligence and covert operations are stationed there.

Put it all together and this is a Dutch (i.e. "from the Netherlands") kid of Frisian extraction whose parents are somehow working as military contractors in southeastern Virginia. We can find a place for a kid like that.

Allow me to put my (otherwise useless) knowledge of onomastics to use here:

"Woudsma" is a Frisian name. Friesland is the northern part of the Netherlands where the people are Frisian, as opposed to Dutch (or Nederlander), which is the ethnicity of Holland, i.e. southern Netherlands. "Wouds" in Frisian means ... I have no idea. I can't find it online, but it's either something related to "Woden," i.e. "Odin," the chief pagan god of the Germanic and Norse peoples, or it's a funky Frisian way of spelling "woods" since most Anglo-Saxon words in English are closely correlated with their Frisian counterparts as Frisian is the closest language to English, i.e. "Anglo-Saxon." The -sma ending is the Frisian signifier for occupation and/or location, so the name likely means "of the woods" and/or "woodsman," though it might mean "Wodin's dude," or equivalent.

Frisian names are actually quite common in both the U.S. and Canada, so by itself it signifies little. With the first name "Maarten," however, now we're pretty clearly talking about somebody either from the Netherlands or (at the most) one generation removed from the Netherlands. "Maarten" is the Dutch & Frisian equivalent of the English name "Martin." It's very rare that anyone chooses that spelling for that name unless they're Dutch or Frisian.

He's listed as going to school in Chesapeake, VA, which is located adjacent to Norfolk, VA, and Virginia Beach, VA, which happen to be where a lot of foreign folks who work in conjunction with the U.S. military end up living as there are U.S. Naval bases there, plus U.S. Marines who work in intelligence and covert operations are stationed there.

Put it all together and this is a Dutch (i.e. "from the Netherlands") kid of Frisian extraction whose parents are somehow working as military contractors in southeastern Virginia. We can find a place for a kid like that.

And we were unclear on that Zatechka lineage where basically everyone knows too much about his conception. Lol

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back