• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sirius XM College - NU stock down

The Impaler

Cake or Death?
15 Year Member
according to Tom Luginbill. Points to NU not having a player drafted. Then proceeds to the usual spiel he lays out. No talent in Nebraska or the radius, everyone has facilities and plays on tv and goes to bowls blah blah blah.

Look, not arguing that these things present challenges. Just not sure why you pick NU’s stock down based on the talent in this years draft and then go off on this thing. This is just one guy that’s gets under my skin with this stuff.

according to Tom Luginbill. Points to NU not having a player drafted. Then proceeds to the usual spiel he lays out. No talent in Nebraska or the radius, everyone has facilities and plays on tv and goes to bowls blah blah blah.

Look, not arguing that these things present challenges. Just not sure why you pick NU’s stock down based on the talent in this years draft and then go off on this thing. This is just one guy that’s gets under my skin with this stuff.
Probably because the talent for next years draft isn't all that great either.

We were 4-8 two years in a row. Why would are stock be up as far as the national pundits are concerned? I'm amazed that some pundits have us ranked in the top 25.

Probably because the talent for next years draft isn't all that great either.

We were 4-8 two years in a row. Why would are stock be up as far as the national pundits are concerned? I'm amazed that some pundits have us ranked in the top 25.

Yes, two 4-8’s in a row. I get that. But the draft is indicative of the prior years and not what’s forthcoming IMO. We looked like a team on the rise towards the end of last season and a lot of people seem to think that. I’m not saying we’re winning a NC or B1G title next year but his argument seemed silly to me. The NFL draft is indicative of other coaching staffs and other AD’s handling of the program, not the current staff and AD.

Yes, two 4-8’s in a row. I get that. But the draft is indicative of the prior years and not what’s forthcoming IMO. We looked like a team on the rise towards the end of last season and a lot of people seem to think that. I’m not saying we’re winning a NC or B1G title next year but his argument seemed silly to me. The NFL draft is indicative of other coaching staffs and other AD’s handling of the program, not the current staff and AD.
The upside to all of this is if we can manage a 7 or 8 win season this year the perspective nationally should start to change.

Last edited:

If he thinks NU’s stock is down, then I assume he is predicting 3 or fewer wins. Other wise NU’s stock would either be steady or rising. I wonder what he would be willing to bet on NU winning fewer than 4 games?

I really never give much credit to opinions of sports writers covering all teams. Very few do it well. Heck, very few local ones do it well. When we start winning more games the same guys will state the obvious things because they have no time to dig much deeper than that.

We all sleep eat and drink husker football and still argue these things.

Looking at his stellar coaching career is there any reason we should believe anything this guy says??

lugenbill.jpg

Let's assume for a second that the consensus recruiting rankings for the past few years were accurate ...

Then, lets assume for a second that if the ratings were accurate that the failure of recent NFL drafts was the programs ability to DEVELOP players ...

And right now the only real viable NFL draftee for next year's draft is Mo Barry ... if he doesn't get drafted ... is SF culpable for failure to develop?

I know the above is real simplistic ... a lot of factors involved.

Let's assume for a second that the consensus recruiting rankings for the past few years were accurate ...

Then, lets assume for a second that if the ratings were accurate that the failure of recent NFL drafts was the programs ability to DEVELOP players ...

And right now the only real viable NFL draftee for next year's draft is Mo Barry ... if he doesn't get drafted ... is SF culpable for failure to develop?

I know the above is real simplistic ... a lot of factors involved.
I think winning football games changes perspective even on draft stock.

People only remember the obvious. When you are 4-8 people assume the players are of low caliber.

In Nebraska’s case, probably has more to do with scheme change over and over the last few years.

We will learn a lot about where we are after the next few years.

Steady improvement will say a lot.

Last edited:

I don’t expect anyone nationally or locally to be all N yet. Nebraska hasn’t earned it.

Start fast and finish strong this year and it’ll all be a thing of the past

Like I said, don’t expect anyone to say we’re gonna be great. Honestly just get tired of this trope from Luginbill. He’s basically saying NU can’t be great again because proximity to recruits and I just disagree. He just loves to double down on this point. Just seemed an odd bone for him to pick today as they were doing stock up or down on literally any coach, sport, sports city etc and this is what he picks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back