• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So, 81 scholarship players.

Who gets the scholarships, walkons or recruited guys?

82 will go to Wyatt Mazour - I'm assuming his scholarship will be renewed for next season. 83-84 will go to incoming transfers if they can find the right guys. 85 will go to a walk-on. Any additional attrition will open up more scholarships for walk-ons. In my opinon, walk-ons that are in line for scholarships are (in no order): Trent Hixson, Hunter Miller, Kade Warner, Isaac Armstrong, Chase Urbach, and Jeremiah Stovall.

82 will go to Wyatt Mazour - I'm assuming his scholarship will be renewed for next season. 83-84 will go to incoming transfers if they can find the right guys. 85 will go to a walk-on. Any additional attrition will open up more scholarships for walk-ons. In my opinon, walk-ons that are in line for scholarships are (in no order): Trent Hixson, Hunter Miller, Kade Warner, Isaac Armstrong, Chase Urbach, and Jeremiah Stovall.

I like your way of thinking. Warner certainly will get one if he is a starter and possibly if he is 2-deep (expected). Same for Hixson, I think he'll start and Frost can use him as a great example of the importance of the walk-on program. Culture x 100. No matter the coach, that is what's been missing for a very long time IMO. GBR

. We will see if Kurt Warner decides his son doesn’t need it tho.

I understand the "need" thing - and the Warners don't have a financial need. But how important is it to a player that he has earned a scholarship as recognition of his importance to the team? Never having been a D1 scholarship guy, I don't know - just wonder...or does the player forego the schollie for the overall betterment of team personnel? Kade Warner has never been anything but a team player, that's for sure. But as far as his talent in comparison to what we need, is he in that top 85?

Last edited:
I understand the "need" thing - and the Warners don't have a financial need. But how important is it to a player that he has earned a scholarship as recognition of his importance to the team? Never having been a D1 scholarship guy, I don't know - just wonder...or does the player forego the schollie for the overall betterment of team personnel? Kade Warner has never been anything but a team player, that's for sure. But as far as his talent in comparison to what we need, is he in that top 85?
His dad will let Frost use the scholarship on someone else if they need to. But Warner is who we usually reward with scholarships in terms of walk ons, started many games last year and will be a big part of the offense again. He will be on a year by year basis and if we don’t get to 85 they may throw him a bone here and there, but could be something that isn’t a given every year.

Just devils advocate here... but do we reward walk-ons with scholarships for what they’ve done on the field? Or for what they could do?

I agree. Chances are he's only a one year starter. I could see giving him one for the 2019 season then not "renewing" it. I think Benhart is the RT with Farniok at guard in 2020, if not by the end of '19, although messing with chemistry might curtail that move this season.

Just devils advocate here... but do we reward walk-ons with scholarships for what they’ve done on the field? Or for what they could do?

You could be right ***. Warner was a starter last year without a 'ship. And since Hixson's folks paid tuition at Skutt, they're used to paying for school, so maybe he doesn't get one this year.

I agree. Chances are he's only a one year starter. I could see giving him one for the 2019 season then not "renewing" it. I think Benhart is the RT with Farniok at guard in 2020, if not by the end of '19, although messing with chemistry might curtail that move this season.
I don't think Cade Warner's chances to start in the Offensive line are that good, even for a season. ;P

Last edited:
You could be right ***. Warner was a starter last year without a 'ship. And since Hixson's folks paid tuition at Skutt, they're used to paying for school, so maybe he doesn't get one this year.
I have no idea how Frost is going to do it, but usually we like a guy to be a contributor first. All that said, if we have a few sitting around, a starter probably isn't a bad spot to throw it to.

I have no idea how Frost is going to do it, but usually we like a guy to be a contributor first. All that said, if we have a few sitting around, a starter probably isn't a bad spot to throw it to.

I think the hype with Hixson going on scholarship comes down to Frost telling people last week that Hixson will be one of the first walk-ons to go on scholarship if any are left over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back