• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kansas State/UNOmaha/Iowa Series Week

So far, the Nebraska baseball team has done what it has needed to do in conference play. However, the next four weekends are where the conference title will be determined. Three sweeps in the first four weekends is really tough to do, but the Huskers have laid the foundation to allow themselves some stumbles coming up. And it's no secret that our last four series' were certainly slated to be more difficult than our first four. Let's take a look at where we are at:

- In conference, we have 5 guys hitting above .300 (6 if you count Roseberry). That leaves a lot of firepower to not be able to pitch around. With Altavilla finding his groove recently, we are going to need the bats more than we have seen the past few weekends. Of course we also have Schwellenbach who is just trying to get back in the swing of things (pun intended).

- Our starting pitching is nothing short of amazing. They haven't recorded a loss yet and are 8-0 in 12 starts. This weekend will be a bit tougher for them. However, we are going to need them to go deep into their games in 2 of the 3 starts. With 2 mid-week games this week, not getting home til Sunday night despite being done playing on Saturday, we need all the help we can get.

- While the mid-week games may be tough on our pitching, it could be a positive for our batters. Would be nice if a few people in a bit of a slump could hit their way out of it before heading to Iowa City.

- Where do we pitch Kyle Perry? We saw what happened against Crayton when a team gets to see him for a second time, maybe it would be best served to pitch him against Omaha? However, I could see Silva keeping his schedule the same and throwing him Tuesday again.

This week and weekend, I really don't care what happens mid-week. Our RPI will plummet if we lose to Omaha, but Kansas State is now a top 100 RPI team. If we go 1-1 mid-week, i'm fine with that. Especially considering us needing to save pitching for the weekend. However, we need to figure out a way to go 2-1 against Iowa, and while their RPI is only 83, they are hot in conference including a series sweep of Illiniois who has an RPI of 21, and then series wins against Purdue and Rutgers. On the road against a dangerous team, we have to hope for 2-1, 1-2 would be understandable (tho not ideal), and a sweep against us could spell disaster for winning conference. Iowa is currently 4th in the conference, they will play Northern Illinois on Tuesday and rest until the Huskers come to town.

Can't look past this weekend as this is a dangerous team we are playing, but we then have Creighton, Illinois, and Northwestern. We gotta escape 2-1 this weekend to give us some breathing room. Indiana who is currently second in conference, is at Michigan State and most likely will sweep there.

So far, the Nebraska baseball team has done what it has needed to do in conference play. However, the next four weekends are where the conference title will be determined. Three sweeps in the first four weekends is really tough to do, but the Huskers have laid the foundation to allow themselves some stumbles coming up. And it's no secret that our last four series' were certainly slated to be more difficult than our first four. Let's take a look at where we are at:

- In conference, we have 5 guys hitting above .300 (6 if you count Roseberry). That leaves a lot of firepower to not be able to pitch around. With Altavilla finding his groove recently, we are going to need the bats more than we have seen the past few weekends. Of course we also have Schwellenbach who is just trying to get back in the swing of things (pun intended).

- Our starting pitching is nothing short of amazing. They haven't recorded a loss yet and are 8-0 in 12 starts. This weekend will be a bit tougher for them. However, we are going to need them to go deep into their games in 2 of the 3 starts. With 2 mid-week games this week, not getting home til Sunday night despite being done playing on Saturday, we need all the help we can get.

- While the mid-week games may be tough on our pitching, it could be a positive for our batters. Would be nice if a few people in a bit of a slump could hit their way out of it before heading to Iowa City.

- Where do we pitch Kyle Perry? We saw what happened against Crayton when a team gets to see him for a second time, maybe it would be best served to pitch him against Omaha? However, I could see Silva keeping his schedule the same and throwing him Tuesday again.

This week and weekend, I really don't care what happens mid-week. Our RPI will plummet if we lose to Omaha, but Kansas State is now a top 100 RPI team. If we go 1-1 mid-week, i'm fine with that. Especially considering us needing to save pitching for the weekend. However, we need to figure out a way to go 2-1 against Iowa, and while their RPI is only 83, they are hot in conference including a series sweep of Illiniois who has an RPI of 21, and then series wins against Purdue and Rutgers. On the road against a dangerous team, we have to hope for 2-1, 1-2 would be understandable (tho not ideal), and a sweep against us could spell disaster for winning conference. Iowa is currently 4th in the conference, they will play Northern Illinois on Tuesday and rest until the Huskers come to town.

Can't look past this weekend as this is a dangerous team we are playing, but we then have Creighton, Illinois, and Northwestern. We gotta escape 2-1 this weekend to give us some breathing room. Indiana who is currently second in conference, is at Michigan State and most likely will sweep there.

The Huskers have a good ball club this year. They've impressed me. While they lack punch in the middle of the lineup and true table setters at the top of the lineup, they can pitch and field.

I'm not surprised at them dropping some midweeks. If I'm Erstad, I'm experimenting with lineups and batting orders all season long during the week to find out what will catch fire.

Just think, they a) haven't even really been outside yet, and b) they haven't gotten hot yet. Could be fun come May.

The Huskers have a good ball club this year. They've impressed me. While they lack punch in the middle of the lineup and true table setters at the top of the lineup, they can pitch and field.

I'm not surprised at them dropping some midweeks. If I'm Erstad, I'm experimenting with lineups and batting orders all season long during the week to find out what will catch fire.

Just think, they a) haven't even really been outside yet, and b) they haven't gotten hot yet. Could be fun come May.
I didn’t even see that Kansas state just stole a series from Texas in Austin. They could come in on a high. Interested to see if we throw Perry or not.

I would say we need to beat Omaha and whatever happens against KState is what it is. After they just took a series from Texas in Austin and us having two midweek games, it could be real dicey one of these games.

You are correct. I should have mentioned that we "need to beat K-State" from a personal standpoint. Not a fan of K-State athletic teams.

You are correct. I should have mentioned that we "need to beat K-State" from a personal standpoint. Not a fan of K-State athletic teams.
lol i'm with ya. And the fact they have two commits from Nebraska again for 2020 bothers me. Also, our pitching mid-week won't get much better than it is in 2019 with Luensmann and Perry starting today and tomorrow. I just am hoping our bats help out a little bit.

Hesitated to post this, so if we go 1-1 midweek and lose the Iowa series feel free to blame me. After Nebraska hopped into getting votes in the coaches poll, they are getting some attention:

Chandler: What do you think Nebraska’s chances are at making a regional?
Kendall Rogers: Chandler — Looking really good right now with an RPI in the 30s and a strong Big Ten record. With that said, those three of the four final weekends against Illinois, Arizona State and Michigan will be huge. There’s an outside shot Nebraska could get into the Top 16 range if it ran the table and won all those series.
https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-april-15/

Erik (Omaha):

• Is it possible that Nebraska could host if they win enough? RPI is in good shape and still series with Illinois and Arizona State to go. Thoughts?

Teddy Cahill: Yes. According to Boyd's RPI Needs Report, Nebraska can even still finish with a top-eight RPI. That's highly unlikely, but that Arizona State series is a big one for Nebraska to have. If the Huskers roll through the second half, hosting is still on the table. I think it will need to win either the Big Ten regular season or tournament title, but Nebraska is capable of that. The margin for error is not great, however.
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-college-baseball-top-25-chat-4519/

Baseball Today!!!

Agree with the sentiment that midweek games, especially two of them, can be dicey propositions and go through a few arms. If this team is what we think it is, I'll be looking for a couple of things. One is continuing improvement in the approach at the plate - less Ks but, most importantly, better execution in key on-base situations. The other is competitive mound appearances. Challenging hitters, limiting the freebies, namely attacking with a "first strike, first out" mentality that puts leadoff batters back on the bench more often than the base paths.

No reason to think our depth isn't better than KSU's or Omaha's, but recognize down-rotation pitching is considerably higher variability. So hopefully the focus is there and we maintain momentum.

GBR!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back