• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star WR Demariyon Houston is N

I thought it was Chris Hickman who had the shoulder issue. Also thought it was from December. Update?

That's right. Henrich had a pre-existing knee issue and Hickman a shoulder. I was not aware of what caused the shoulder issue, but Henrich lost playing time in his senior season with the bum knee.

Easy to mix those names up - similar circumstances, same alma mater, entered the program together...

Edit - couldn't find much, but here was this:

freshman tight end Chris Hickman, who had an offseason shoulder procedure

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_bf9a9a35-88b6-58d7-9188-06f0d58d95c3.html

Let's put it this way: If Henrich has a torn labrum, that information has been locked down tighter than a [insert favorite ending here].

Last edited:

I have an issue with a strength coach saying "your programs caused an imbalance" because guys like Nick Henrich didn't tear their labrum until they got to Lincoln.
Just to clarify, he didn't say it that way. He talked about how S&C coaches across the country are seeing kids coming in with labrum issues, back issues, hamstring issues, etc., and there is often a correlation to their having been doing intense high school S&C programs. He wasn't specifically mentioning any of his players, and he wouldn't, because some of their coaches were probably sitting in the room listening to him. It wasn't an accusation, I guess is what I'm trying to say, and it certainly wasn't meant to deflect responsibility. Unless you were already upset with him, I doubt that most people there would have noticed that sort of implication.

Just to clarify, he didn't say it that way. He talked about how S&C coaches across the country are seeing kids coming in with labrum issues, back issues, hamstring issues, etc., and there is often a correlation to their having been doing intense high school S&C programs. He wasn't specifically mentioning any of his players, and he wouldn't, because some of their coaches were probably sitting in the room listening to him. It wasn't an accusation, I guess is what I'm trying to say, and it certainly wasn't meant to deflect responsibility. Unless you were already upset with him, I doubt that most people there would have noticed that sort of implication.
I got it from a different angle (coach). “Most programs aren’t pulling enough and creating an imbalance.” He’s absolutely right, most schools aren’t and are maxing on bench and doing heavy weight there. I also agree most coaches didn’t take it that way, but when you don’t take responsibility for the two kids who got the same injury in your S&C from a program you are trying to recruit a 2020 kid, I get a little worried because that coach could take it as a burn.

I get why most coaches didn’t take it as such. It’s why I sometimes get negative responses when i point those things out. I just don’t think our program is pulling in kids with more imbalances than Stanford or that we are pulling in more imbalances than with previous staffs. The difference is what they do with those imbalances when they get them. We have work to do there.

Last edited:
I also agree most coaches didn’t take it that way, but when you don’t take responsibility for the two kids who got the same injury in your S&C from a program you are trying to recruit a 2020 kid, I get a little worried because that coach could take it as a burn.
Have you heard anything to that effect? Yes, that would be a concern.

Sorry I'm still confused. Henrich tore his labrum?

Dunno. If so it was very recently. Found this from March 11:

SEEN: Inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud working with Nick Henrich’s stance and footwork during defensive walk-through. Henrich, a true freshman from Omaha Burke, worked with the No. 2 defense. https://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/s...cle_78a3475e-4419-11e9-940d-0bf9a00bd266.html

But then yesterday, I saw this tweet from Nick's principal at Burke High School:

Edit: another

Last edited:
Dunno. If so it was very recently. Found this from March 11:

But then yesterday, I saw this tweet from Nick's principal at Burke High School:

One of the follow-on tweets said "good luck and heal up quickly" which doesn't sound great.

Easy solution to the HS strength and conditioning issue, in the off-season, you train legs on Monday and Thursday, along with explosive movements. Tuesday and Friday are speed and conditioning days. Wednesday is competition day. Kids have to come after school to train upper body.

A lot of the top high schools in Texas have adopted this approach and had huge success. Kids never miss a chest or arm workout, and the weight room after school has never been more packed.

Easy solution to the HS strength and conditioning issue, in the off-season, you train legs on Monday and Thursday, along with explosive movements. Tuesday and Friday are speed and conditioning days. Wednesday is competition day. Kids have to come after school to train upper body.

A lot of the top high schools in Texas have adopted this approach and had huge success. Kids never miss a chest or arm workout, and the weight room after school has never been more packed.
This would help as far as getting more full-body workouts, but it's the nature of lifts like the bench-press that cause the problem, not just that they're doing it too much. Again, this is by far my weakest area as a coach, so throw out anything that I'm saying that conflicts with whatever @ShortSideOption says because he clearly knows his stuff when it comes to S&C.

The problem isn't just that they're doing too many/too much bench, it's that they're not doing the reciprocal strength work to build up the opposing muscles and counter-acting the strain on the ligaments, cartilage, and smaller muscles. Have you seen the jammer? It's a stand-up push-pull machine that has one arm pushing while the other is pulling so that there is resistance both ways. (Fwiw, I'm just repeating what Duval said on Saturday morning.) If there isn't the pulling component, the stress created by the muscles building up in only one aspect creates a strain (No Diaco jokes, please!) on the tissues and surfaces where the stronger muscle is not pulling.

This part is me talking, so it's probably wrong, but the way that I visualized it and explained it to other coaches who didn't hear the talk is that it's like you're overloading one side of a teeter-totter by overworking one muscle while ignoring the other side. The difference in the analogy, though, is that an overweighted teeter-totter would just stay stationary, whereas with the muscles, the firing of the developed muscle will tear something somewhere, eventually, if it is countered.

Now you can wait for someone else to correct what I said.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back