• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

JMPO - and I totally get why a kid would choose to not enroll early - is that it's always better to enroll early. Will it make or break a kids career? Of course not. But it absolutely effects your chances of playing as a true freshman.

Bryce Benhart decided not to enroll early so that he could go for a state championship in wrestling. I don't fault him one bit, but it's probably going to cost him the opportunity to start in 2019. If guys like Benhart and Hutmacher are going to redshirt anyways, then it's no big deal really. But if these kids want to come in and truly compete for a starting spot or a place in the regular rotation (especially when the team has a need and opportunity for that to happen), they're doing themselves a disservice almost by not getting on campus early.

Like I said, I get why kids might not want to do it, and i'm fine if they don't. But the way I look at it, these kids are coming to Nebraska to play football. That's going to be their primary focus. Not wrestling. Not track. JMPO, i'd want them to start focusing on that ASAP. They don't have anything left to prove in HS.
Disagree. They are kids. HS is a one time experience. If they have goals in HS, (wrestling/track) they should have the opportunity to complete their experience.

JMPO - and I totally get why a kid would choose to not enroll early - is that it's always better to enroll early. Will it make or break a kids career? Of course not. But it absolutely effects your chances of playing as a true freshman.

Bryce Benhart decided not to enroll early so that he could go for a state championship in wrestling. I don't fault him one bit, but it's probably going to cost him the opportunity to start in 2019. If guys like Benhart and Hutmacher are going to redshirt anyways, then it's no big deal really. But if these kids want to come in and truly compete for a starting spot or a place in the regular rotation (especially when the team has a need and opportunity for that to happen), they're doing themselves a disservice almost by not getting on campus early.

Like I said, I get why kids might not want to do it, and i'm fine if they don't. But the way I look at it, these kids are coming to Nebraska to play football. That's going to be their primary focus. Not wrestling. Not track. JMPO, i'd want them to start focusing on that ASAP. They don't have anything left to prove in HS.

Agree. It's the way things are.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_9d59eb0e-7994-53f9-98d7-cf3e4a030f23.html

...Hutmacher will choose college football

Tanner Farmer did keep his connection to wrestling at Nebraska as much as he could, but wrestling season overlaps football season, so it's impossible to compete in both. Tanner's bio says he worked with the wrestling team in football off season. Given his performance in the NFL tests, I'd say the strategy paid off for him. Certainly, Tanner was not afraid of work.

• Started practicing with the wrestling team after the conclusion of the football regular season

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210588041&DB_OEM_ID=100&Q_SEASON=2018

Last edited:
And then there's that.... Can any of us imagine how hard it would be to walk away from the opportunities that he would be given in wrestling? I'm not saying that football isn't the better option, because I think that it is. Imagine being 17 years old and being told to choose: Do you want to be an NCAA champion wrestler and potential Olympian, or do you want to play Noseguard and potentially be drafted into the NFL? I know that a lot of guys--Kyler Murray springs to mind--have excelled at football and another sport, but knowing what's out there, and having to choose so young seems difficult.
Guys like Kyler Murray didnt have to cut weight. College wrestling is brutal. Not that football conditioning wont be difficult, but at least you can eat like a king. I will never miss starving myself the day before and sweating out 5 lbs to make weight.

Guys like Kyler Murray didnt have to cut weight. College wrestling is brutal. Not that football conditioning wont be difficult, but at least you can eat like a king. I will never miss starving myself the day before and sweating out 5 lbs to make weight.
Just 5? :Biggrin:
I remember my Sophomore year we were hosting a Tourney. I was JV so not worried about my weight that week. At the end of practice coach called over the JVs and said. One of the teams can not make it due to weather. You guys are filling that slot tomorrow. I was 7 over at the time. I made weight 5 minutes before weigh ins ended. First match I was exhausted and got killed. rehydrated and ended up taking 3rd. our varsity took 1st.

Just 5? :Biggrin:
I remember my Sophomore year we were hosting a Tourney. I was JV so not worried about my weight that week. At the end of practice coach called over the JVs and said. One of the teams can not make it due to weather. You guys are filling that slot tomorrow. I was 7 over at the time. I made weight 5 minutes before weigh ins ended. First match I was exhausted and got killed. rehydrated and ended up taking 3rd. our varsity took 1st.
Wearing a sauna suit and spitting in a can all the way up to Omaha for Districts. I'd bust out in a nose bleed and the coach would yell, "Bach, grab a banana and clean yourself up".. it was brutal.

Wearing a sauna suit and spitting in a can all the way up to Omaha for Districts. I'd bust out in a nose bleed and the coach would yell, "Bach, grab a banana and clean yourself up".. it was brutal.
Yep. They do not allow kids to do that anymore. At least not in MD. About two weeks before the first tourneys. they bring in all of the wrestlers. Make them pee in a jar and if it is too tark they make them drink water till it is not. Then they weigh them in. Then a Dr. tells them what weight they can get down too without hurting themselves.

Oh and Sauna suits are strictly verboden get caught with one of your kids wearing one and the head coach is suspended.

Yep. They do not allow kids to do that anymore. At least not in MD. About two weeks before the first tourneys. they bring in all of the wrestlers. Make them pee in a jar and if it is too tark they make them drink water till it is not. Then they weigh them in. Then a Dr. tells them what weight they can get down too without hurting themselves.

I wish Az had that practice when my son wrestled. As a young high school kid with an ultra low body fat to begin with, he struggled with the weight cutting aspect. Lost some stamina in some matches. He always made weight, but usually just barely after running in plastic.

I was wrestling at 112 when I was 13, the next couple years I progressively put on weight until I got to about 125 but I would still cut down to my 112 for the season. Made it half way through the 3rd year and had to bump up to 118. The coach had me buying a case of "Nutriement" it was a chocolate protein drink and I just quit eating. But this was almost 50 years ago and we didn't feel we were being pushed too far, we just did what the coach told us... different times. I'm pretty sure the word "entitled" hadn't even been invented yet.

He was on campus this weekend, but I did not see him. I'm willing to bet that he'll go to Nebraska anyway, but Zach Duval and company seal the deal, in my opinion. Nash and his dad are crazy about weight training and power lifting, and some of the stuff that Duval and the nutrition folks are working on getting set up will be enticing to someone like the Hutmachers.

He was on campus this weekend, but I did not see him. I'm willing to bet that he'll go to Nebraska anyway, but Zach Duval and company seal the deal, in my opinion. Nash and his dad are crazy about weight training and power lifting, and some of the stuff that Duval and the nutrition folks are working on getting set up will be enticing to someone like the Hutmachers.
Duval will be a major piece for him, good call.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back