• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star WR Demariyon Houston is N

Im guessing that was a hand held time? Even so still fast. Nice to keep hearing about NU recruits burning it up on the track. Him and Rahmir will add a lot of speed this summer.

Nice pic. Boy, he is smoking the competition. Plus he looks really well put together. Not a skinny dude

Oh, man, another speed burner. With all of our guys healthy, Nebraska could hold it's own 100 yard dash competition in fall camp and really put on a show. If I was a DB in the B1G, I'd be working HARD on my own speed looking at these guys.

10.5 speed; I love it! I am with AzHusker; I would love to see all of our speedsters go head-to-head in a 100 in fall camp.

:Facepalm:

:Lol: Nah, that was the previous coaching staff. Remember all those WR's with hammy issues? Something was amiss with their training, that's for sure.
We have about 3 WRs out with hamstring “injuries” right now. Tho I wouldn’t call them that. But if we are being consistent with what we called them under Riley, that’s what they are now.

Still remember Keyshawn Jr not doing the warm ups like everyone else and just screwing around playing catch. Popped his hammy that practice.

We have about 3 WRs out with hamstring “injuries” right now. Tho I wouldn’t call them that. But if we are being consistent with what we called them under Riley, that’s what they are now.

Still remember Keyshawn Jr not doing the warm ups like everyone else and just screwing around playing catch. Popped his hammy that practice.
Are you saying that these are not really injuries but just coaches being cautious?

In Duval's talk to the coaches on Saturday morning he talked at length about how bad workout plans will cause injuries as building up muscles in just one area will cause them to overpower and pull against something somewhere else if it's not balanced out by developing the other muscles, too. He specifically mentioned pulled hamstrings from doing squats with the pelvis rotated forward and damaged labrums from poor bench press technique (without any counter-motion development to go with it). I was thinking a lot about what you have been saying about injuries and squatting heavy weights and (specifically) WanDale Robinson's hamstring issue. That all came to a point as he showed the clip of Robinson maxing out his squat that we talked about in some other thread here when it came out on Twitter.

If you remember last fall and the discussion about the significance of Urban Meyer's word choice in combination with his facial expressions when asked about his future in coaching, I'm prone to overly analyze things when I believe that they're said on a public stage with a lot self-reflection before speaking. To be frank, I am NOT very knowledgeable about strength and conditioning programs, and I've always been aware of that, but (thankfully) I've always worked with other coaches who were good at it, so I didn't have to stress about it. Because of all of the above, I really wasn't listening to Duval to try and get some pointers for developing a better strength and conditioning program (though I think I did anyway) so much as I was thinking like a speech teacher and a psychology teacher looking at how he presented information and thinking about the things that he was choosing to say, and what he was leaving out. I say all of that as a way of clearing my throat before saying what matters....

Duval was speaking to the high school coaches to directly implore them to balance out how their kids are focusing too much on bench press, and it's showing up in all of the labrum injuries that 18-year-old freshmen are bringing with them into college. Duval was simultaneously pushing for the use of more squats in workouts, but to balance them out by using every type of squat, but to always focus on keeping the abdominal muscles crunching when starting rather than focusing on shoulders back, etc., like the old-school guys used to say. My psycho-analyzing side thought that he seemed much more humble than he did a year ago, and there is just no way that he could be so self-unaware that he could use Robinson as a visual example of squatting while talking about hamstring injuries from doing it improperly while WanDale is currently not practicing due to a hamstring injury. All of this is not to say that @ShortSideOption was right, and Duval is awful; it's to say that I think *** was honestly and truly onto something, and that Duval is now painfully aware of some issues that were there. Maybe that's just me reading into things, but I've thought about it a lot, and I've realized that what most impressed me was how much more humble the whole presentation came across. If I had any issue with some sort of confirmation bias while listening to him, it would have been looking for evidence that he was being brash and lacking introspection, but I found the opposite. That wasn't the forum for a college S&C coach to make a confession of error, but it's interesting that he also wasn't nearly as belligerent about the things that he was stressing last year.

Anyway, take all of the above for what it's worth, which is just the cheap and easy musings of a coach who couldn't possibly argue the merits of anything to do with S&C program components. What I do know something about is public speaking, and how hard it is to be open and honest and positive when talking publicly while dealing with tough issues and mistakes and disappointments. It felt to me like that was what Duval was doing.

For what it's worth, Duval was still incredibly impressive. The average high school coach who wasn't aware of the details that I mentioned above that have been discussed at length on this site would have never drawn the same conclusions that I just laid out. He came across as a passionate, knowledgeable, caring, and humble S&C coach that you would want your guys to work with.

In Duval's talk to the coaches on Saturday morning he talked at length about how bad workout plans will cause injuries as building up muscles in just one area will cause them to overpower and pull against something somewhere else if it's not balanced out by developing the other muscles, too. He specifically mentioned pulled hamstrings from doing squats with the pelvis rotated forward and damaged labrums from poor bench press technique (without any counter-motion development to go with it). I was thinking a lot about what you have been saying about injuries and squatting heavy weights and (specifically) WanDale Robinson's hamstring issue. That all came to a point as he showed the clip of Robinson maxing out his squat that we talked about in some other thread here when it came out on Twitter.

If you remember last fall and the discussion about the significance of Urban Meyer's word choice in combination with his facial expressions when asked about his future in coaching, I'm prone to overly analyze things when I believe that they're said on a public stage with a lot self-reflection before speaking. To be frank, I am NOT very knowledgeable about strength and conditioning programs, and I've always been aware of that, but (thankfully) I've always worked with other coaches who were good at it, so I didn't have to stress about it. Because of all of the above, I really wasn't listening to Duval to try and get some pointers for developing a better strength and conditioning program (though I think I did anyway) so much as I was thinking like a speech teacher and a psychology teacher looking at how he presented information and thinking about the things that he was choosing to say, and what he was leaving out. I say all of that as a way of clearing my throat before saying what matters....

Duval was speaking to the high school coaches to directly implore them to balance out how their kids are focusing too much on bench press, and it's showing up in all of the labrum injuries that 18-year-old freshmen are bringing with them into college. Duval was simultaneously pushing for the use of more squats in workouts, but to balance them out by using every type of squat, but to always focus on keeping the abdominal muscles crunching when starting rather than focusing on shoulders back, etc., like the old-school guys used to say. My psycho-analyzing side thought that he seemed much more humble than he did a year ago, and there is just no way that he could be so self-unaware that he could use Robinson as a visual example of squatting while talking about hamstring injuries from doing it improperly while WanDale is currently not practicing due to a hamstring injury. All of this is not to say that @ShortSideOption was right, and Duval is awful; it's to say that I think *** was honestly and truly onto something, and that Duval is now painfully aware of some issues that were there. Maybe that's just me reading into things, but I've thought about it a lot, and I've realized that what most impressed me was how much more humble the whole presentation came across. If I had any issue with some sort of confirmation bias while listening to him, it would have been looking for evidence that he was being brash and lacking introspection, but I found the opposite. That wasn't the forum for a college S&C coach to make a confession of error, but it's interesting that he also wasn't nearly as belligerent about the things that he was stressing last year.

Anyway, take all of the above for what it's worth, which is just the cheap and easy musings of a coach who couldn't possibly argue the merits of anything to do with S&C program components. What I do know something about is public speaking, and how hard it is to be open and honest and positive when talking publicly while dealing with tough issues and mistakes and disappointments. It felt to me like that was what Duval was doing.

For what it's worth, Duval was still incredibly impressive. The average high school coach who wasn't aware of the details that I mentioned above that have been discussed at length on this site would have never drawn the same conclusions that I just laid out. He came across as a passionate, knowledgeable, caring, and humble S&C coach that you would want your guys to work with.
I learned the lesson of counter muscle injuries when I used to run a lot. I had/have big calves. I used to get stress fractures from all the running I did. Until I had someone tell me I needed to do some exercises to strengthen the muscles on the front of the leg over the shin. Once I did that and make sure I stretched front and back muscles after running. No more shin splints.

I learned the lesson of counter muscle injuries when I used to run a lot. I had/have big calves. I used to get stress fractures from all the running I did. Until I had someone tell me I needed to do some exercises to strengthen the muscles on the front of the leg over the shin. Once I did that and make sure I stretched front and back muscles after running. No more shin splints.
I had the same sort of problem with shin splints my senior year of high school in track, except that I never had anybody to explain to me what was causing them. I was told to get new shoes, and I was shown how to stretch my calves better, but none of that made the pain go away. It just made it bearable. I was a triple-jumper, and I ran the 300m hurdles, and it was a mental and emotional struggle to get prepared to compete in either while knowing that either and both would make the pain worse.

Are you saying that these are not really injuries but just coaches being cautious?
I mean, with the old staff the new buzz word going around was "soft tissue injuries" so reporters would tweet things like "Brandon Reilly is out with a soft tissue injury" when really he was just resting. Right now, guys like Wandale Robinson probably aren't 100%, but could go if they needed to. Hamstring injuries that are a week or two issues aren't a huge deal to me, they happen.

I don't go to the coaches clinic because it can be a bit of a cluster sometimes, but you are echoing a few of the things I have heard. First off, our football program is way better off having Duval and having Frost completely on board with him. We are just fine.

That said, I have heard what you stated as a little bit of arrogance last year (fully focused on back squats, mocking functional training, "how we did it in the 90s if you're still doing that you are way ahead of everyone else", etc.) This year the theme seems to be a bit more humble. As I stated back in January, it seems like they are now doing some more functional stuff, and I speculated it could be due to the injuries that mounted up on us last year (despite people thinking we were doing ok there). It is also interesting to me he brought up to the coaches the injuries they had (so it's obviously an issue) and what is causing them. I have an issue with a strength coach saying "your programs caused an imbalance" because guys like Nick Henrich didn't tear their labrum until they got to Lincoln. Further, as i've said all along, our program intensifies those imbalances when you lift heavy weight with bad form and limited ROM. I can't remember which poster it was, but he mocked me when I stated that when the new regime of Mark Phillips came in, they found out that Dobson didn't lift anything from the floor, so they had guys working on doing lifts at 135 pounds just so they wouldn't get hurt. I was told that shouldn't be needed and other things. I'll again go back to Stanford and what they do... they don't let you even lift a weight for a month. Turley thinks if you have an imbalance it is his job to correct it and it is certainly his fault if his program gets you hurt due to an imbalance you have that he either A) didn't correct or B) even worse knew about it and continued to lift the same anyway.

We are in great hands with Duval and Frost. I think we could do better in the injury prevention aspect, and I think our staff started realizing that with some of the things we implemented, which could help a ton. That said, I'm not sure what we implemented can overcome some of the injuries that will happen when we lift the way we do. 50% of our defensive recruits last year tearing their knee or shoulder up isn't a high school strength program problem. It is something a D1 strength coach should be able to help get better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back