• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roby Declaring For The NBA Draft While Keeping His College Elgibility For Now

He has not hired an agent so he is free to play college ball next year if he decides that is best for him. This is a normal step for someone of his status.

Agreed, especially with the coaching change. The uncertainty that comes with that can't be overlooked.

Agreed, especially with the coaching change. The uncertainty that comes with that can't be overlooked.
I think Roby needs to work on his game and who better to do that than a guy that was coaching in the NBA last season?

On the other hand, if he has been determined to be talented/athletic enough to make a team right away and be groomed by that team to fit what they need, he might feel its best to go now.

I think what it ultimately comes down to is how much more $$$ can he make next year by improving his game than what he would make this year as is.

The wildcard is the fact that he watched a teammate blow his knee out and have to sit for a year.

A lot to think about.

Last edited:
I thought someone had said he did the same thing last year.... just being diligent. Like others have said, I hope he returns and gives Hoiberg the opportunity to polish his game.

I thought someone had said he did the same thing last year.... just being diligent. Like others have said, I hope he returns and gives Hoiberg the opportunity to polish his game.
He did. As did Palmer and Copeland.

I think Roby needs to work on his game and who better to do that than a guy that was coaching in the NBA last season?

On the other hand, if he has been determined to be talented/athletic enough to make a team right away and be groomed by that team to fit what they need, he might feel its best to go now.

I think what it ultimately comes down to is how much more $$$ can he make next year by improving his game than what he would make this year as is.

The wildcard is the fact that he watched a teammate blow his knee out and have to sit for a year.

A lot to think about.

Honestly, there are a few players who would fit the above description, but the NBA isn't well known for development of players. They take ready made players and use them. I know a few come up from the "minor" league, but if IR wants a long career in the league, he better develop his skills to the point where he can be drafted in the first round. (i don't think that would happen this year) He is very athletic, but he is 6-9 and headed to a league where there are hundreds of 6-9 guys and most of them will be better shooters than IR at the moment.

Stay at NU and develop his outside shooting so that he can be a 3 in the NBA instead of a miscast 4 and he has a chance. Otherwise, he will be collecting his checks across the pond...which isn't a bad gig by the way, but is NOT the NBA.

A lot to think about.

regarding the bold...I wonder how much the "grooming" helps. Khyri Thomas left a year early, got drafted in the 2nd round and has either been D-league or riding Detroit's bench all year. I have to wonder how much development is actually going on with guys that don't actually play. How much do NBA teams really "practice"? Weigh that against actually PLAYING 30 minutes a game for 30-35 games (with a coach that knows what it takes).

That said, Khyri is making $850k for 2 years guaranteed so there's that.

Honestly, there are a few players who would fit the above description, but the NBA isn't well known for development of players. They take ready made players and use them. I know a few come up from the "minor" league, but if IR wants a long career in the league, he better develop his skills to the point where he can be drafted in the first round. (i don't think that would happen this year) He is very athletic, but he is 6-9 and headed to a league where there are hundreds of 6-9 guys and most of them will be better shooters than IR at the moment.

Stay at NU and develop his outside shooting so that he can be a 3 in the NBA instead of a miscast 4 and he has a chance. Otherwise, he will be collecting his checks across the pond...which isn't a bad gig by the way, but is NOT the NBA.

regarding the bold...I wonder how much the "grooming" helps. Khyri Thomas left a year early, got drafted in the 2nd round and has either been D-league or riding Detroit's bench all year. I have to wonder how much development is actually going on with guys that don't actually play. How much do NBA teams really "practice"? Weigh that against actually PLAYING 30 minutes a game for 30-35 games (with a coach that knows what it takes).

That said, Khyri is making $850k for 2 years guaranteed so there's that.

I don't follow the NBA so I have no idea. I'd hate to not be ready and then go to the NBA and have to figure it out on my own in some d league.

He's doing what he said. Also, Copeland got hurt impacting his draft worth. He may play NCAA basketball next year, hopefully at Nebraska. He should say he's confident - NBA wants to know that. If he finds that he's not going to be drafted in the first round, I hope he comes back. I'm pretty sure he's not in a place to graduate early, and I really doubt he wants to sit next year as a transfer, but that's an option as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back