• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

It's hard to quantify or qualify because at the state level, he wrestles in the largest class because South Dakota only has 2 classes for all schools for wrestling. At your average duel meet, yeah, he's probably going to go against some big, clunky kid, but once you get to the state level or to the invitationals that invite teams from multiple states (it's common to have big meets in places in and around Sioux Falls that draw teams from 3 to 5 states), it's about as competitive as anywhere else. Put it this way: South Dakota's 10th place wrestler would probably get his tail whipped by his equal from Iowa, MN, or NE, but the South Dakota state champion would at least hold his own against the champs from those states on almost any given year. There's quality at the top, but not a lot of depth.

When Hutmacher was an 8th grader there were 3 guys in the heavyweight class who were good enough to wrestle D-1, though not at the All-American level. For whatever reason, his only competition since then has been a kid who was the defending state champ at the level below him who purposefully went up a class so as to get a shot at Hutmacher. It was an epic bout, but Hutmacher's size was too much for him.

In football, the lowest class of 11-man football is a bit larger than what it is in Nebraska because the 9-man schools go as high as 150+ in high school. Historically, Chamberlain has not been much of a football power. It's kind of like what I said about South Dakota wrestling, though: the state champs could more than hold their own against neighboring state champs of equivalent enrollment, but there isn't much depth below the top few teams. I know the Chamberlain coaches personally, and they're pretty dang good, especially for a school that size, so I was somewhat surprised that they didn't go further into the playoffs last fall. I don't think that there is a lot of skill talent on the team. When one of the schools that size gets a top-notch D1 talent at one of the skill positions, they tend to win state championships. Chad Greenway, for example, was a 2-time state champion QB/LB for a 9-man football team (Stickney/Mount Vernon) in the late 90s. Unless he's got NFL caliber speed, you can usually gameplan so as to run away from a D1 lineman. It doesn't mean you'll win, but it's better to have a 300 lb NG chasing a speedy RB on a sweep than running at him with your 180 lb FB.

Are you familiar with the Reiff brothers? Riley is the Vikings OT, and he was a 1st round draft pick out of Iowa. His little brother is currently a D-lineman for Iowa. Both came out of Parkston, SD, which was then playing at the same level as Chamberlain. (Since that time Parkston has dropped down to 9-man football.) Riley Reiff never won a state championship either, but Brady did when he was a senior. He played TE, but he wasn't even the best player on that team, and they barely won state.

Nebraska just offered a scholarship to an athlete out of St. Thomas More in Rapid City, which also plays at that same level of 11-man football. They are regularly in the state championship game, but I think that they've only won it once.

Great info mabc. I didn’t mean to take anything away from Nash, he’s accomplished so much, and he doesn’t control the competition he faces. His measureables speak for themselves, he’s a freak of nature. With a kid like that for whom so much comes so easily in the sports he chose, it will be interesting to see him face off against others like him.

I didn’t mean to take anything away from Nash, he’s accomplished so much, and he doesn’t control the competition he faces.
I guess that I didn't take it that way. I was just trying to give a full and honest answer. Bottom line, yes, most of the time his opponent will be severely over-matched, but at least a couple times per year in each sport, he should see some D1 caliber competition.

Nash will be on his OV this coming weekend 6-7 April

Will be huge how he bonds with our new DL coach as it could be the difference on getting his commitment. Will make his second visit to Wisconsin in June

Nash will be on his OV this coming weekend 6-7 April

Will be huge how he bonds with our new DL coach as it could be the difference on getting his commitment. Will make his second visit to Wisconsin in June
I assume that I'll probably see him at the Saturday morning practice. I hadn't realized that he was coming. I'm curious if his coach(es) will be attending the coaches' clinic, too.

No clues on his coach.
I only mentioned it because it seemed interesting that he's been there numerous times, and I would expect him to be there for the spring game next week, yet it's the weekend before the spring game that he's going for his OV, and that happens to be the weekend of the coaches' clinic. I'm acquainted with the staff but not close enough to know or remember if they're Husker fans. If they are, I think that they'll be there as I'm not aware of any competing clinics in the Dakotas this weekend, which has been the case in the recent past.

JMPO - and I totally get why a kid would choose to not enroll early - is that it's always better to enroll early. Will it make or break a kids career? Of course not. But it absolutely effects your chances of playing as a true freshman.

Bryce Benhart decided not to enroll early so that he could go for a state championship in wrestling. I don't fault him one bit, but it's probably going to cost him the opportunity to start in 2019. If guys like Benhart and Hutmacher are going to redshirt anyways, then it's no big deal really. But if these kids want to come in and truly compete for a starting spot or a place in the regular rotation (especially when the team has a need and opportunity for that to happen), they're doing themselves a disservice almost by not getting on campus early.

Like I said, I get why kids might not want to do it, and i'm fine if they don't. But the way I look at it, these kids are coming to Nebraska to play football. That's going to be their primary focus. Not wrestling. Not track. JMPO, i'd want them to start focusing on that ASAP. They don't have anything left to prove in HS.

Joe Hutmacher‏ @joe_hutmacher
Joe Hutmacher Retweeted Trackwrestling

And then there's that.... Can any of us imagine how hard it would be to walk away from the opportunities that he would be given in wrestling? I'm not saying that football isn't the better option, because I think that it is. Imagine being 17 years old and being told to choose: Do you want to be an NCAA champion wrestler and potential Olympian, or do you want to play Noseguard and potentially be drafted into the NFL? I know that a lot of guys--Kyler Murray springs to mind--have excelled at football and another sport, but knowing what's out there, and having to choose so young seems difficult.

And then there's that.... Can any of us imagine how hard it would be to walk away from the opportunities that he would be given in wrestling? I'm not saying that football isn't the better option, because I think that it is. Imagine being 17 years old and being told to choose: Do you want to be an NCAA champion wrestler and potential Olympian, or do you want to play Noseguard and potentially be drafted into the NFL? I know that a lot of guys--Kyler Murray springs to mind--have excelled at football and another sport, but knowing what's out there, and having to choose so young seems difficult.

I hope he has all these options and more, but lots of stuff can happen along the way too - tragedy, major injury, burnout, or falling prey to any of the other barriers that de-rail guys with freakish athletic skills from a career in making hay from them.

I definitely agree it's a challenge choosing so young - hopefully, Nash is surrounded by good people who have his interest at heart - I would guess he is or he wouldn't have persevered as far as he has in these challenging sports. Too bad he has to choose between the two - to specialize - but he really does at the college level - both are essentially year-round sports these days, and the training goals are different. In the end, these are difficulties of deciding which privilege to choose, so it's hard to feel too sorry for him. :)

As far as a wrestling career OR a football career - it might depend upon his academic skills and interests to some extent, too. If he is eying a professional career (e.g., physician, attorney, etc) - one that could support his family until he dies of old age - then wrestling might be the safer option, IMO. It would pay for most of his college degree, and then he could likely find other support for an amateur career for an Olympics or two and then hit the career. A few great Olympic athletes have parlayed their competitive career into coaching careers (Dan Gable, Cael Sanderson, others), but this happens to such small numbers, I don't know how realistic it is...

However, if he plans on a career in athletics - and wants to support a family in that way sooner than later - possibly football with an obvious goal of a contract or two in the NFL might be the ticket.

The latter option probably has more risk and more possible reward - potential for career ending injuries, and quality-of-life affecting injuries is much greater in professional FB than amateur wrestling, head and knee injuries in particular, but the salary and pension aren't too bad. :nod:

Last edited:

Here's a tweet with Hutmacher getting ready for his OV in the weightroom..."Starting high rep squat cycle.Last set of 3x10 at 425 lbs!"

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back