• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Read any good books lately?

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Here are a couple worth reading

Unthinkable by Helen Thomson, a Brit nuerologist journalist. She provides case studies for which she provides nuerological explanations about people with unusual brain disorders that make them think, among other things, that they are dead, or that they see not only colors but numbers around both people and things, that they hear a variety of music constantly, that they are always lost even in their own house, that they have endless hallucinations, that they cannot filter out any of the sensations that any of their senses capture at any time, or that they believe they have become a specific animal (she discusses one guy who thinks he becomes a tiger). Kind of Oliver Saks but more about the brain.

Third Thoughts, by a Nobel winning particle physicist, Steven Weinberg, who is known to be able to expain physics to generalists. I found it a hard read, though the essays are relatively short in length. He tells you where he has gone wrong in his thinking during his career, and that is refreshing. And once you get through an essay, you are glad you read it.

The Undoing Project by Michel Lewis of Liars Poker, etc. This is a nonfiction book about two Israelie behavioral psychologists who revolutionized the professions' thinking about how humans make decisions. It explains some of the thinking you see on this board.

Digital Minalism by Cal Newport. This describes the addictions that cell phones and computers have become, how you can recognize when you have a serious problem, and what you can do about it.

Last edited:

i also can't seem to find the time to read as much as i used to. i used to get through a book a week. now i'm lucky if i READ 10 books a year, but i have gone full nerd and listen to books on CD from the library on the commute to work each day. here's a couple i've listened to lately.

Detroit - A Biography by Scott Martelle
tells the story of the city of Detroit from first settlement thru the auto boom and bust and touches on the current situation there. after watching The Wire (a story more about the city of Baltimore than drugs/cops) i've been interested in the story of the bigger cities in the us that seem to be off the radar except when something negative is happening.

Hitler's Furies - German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields by Wendy Lower
i'll read anything about world war II and this one had some seriously disturbing sections. talks about women's roles in what happened in german occupied areas during WWII from typing up orders to actively participating in the killings themselves.

Dead Run: The Murder of Lawman and the Greatest Manhunt in the Modern American West - Dan Schultz
came across this by accident while browsing. i had never heard this story before reading the book. here's a copy and paste of the synopsis

"On a sunny May morning in 1998, three friends in a stolen truck passed through Cortez, Colorado on their way to commit sabotage of unspeakable proportions. Evidence suggests their mission was to blow up the Glen Canyon dam. Had they succeeded, the structure's collapse would have unleashed a 500-foot-high inland tsunami, surging across the American Southwest and pulverizing everything in its path
Instead, the truck was pulled over by an unsuspecting small town cop and the outlaws opened fire. After shooting him twenty times, they blasted their way past dozens of police cars and vanished into 10,000 square miles of the harshest wilderness terrain on the North American continent. The pursuit that ensued pitted the most sophisticated law enforcement technology on the planet against three self-trained survivalists. Nine years later the last of the fugitives was finally accounted for, but what really happened to them remained shrouded in mystery."

My last non-fiction book ......

518ueg5tAaL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

500+ pages but mostly interesting. At least 10 times more difficult project than I initially thought .... labor problems, new engineering techniques, Panama' terrain, different routes, fighting diseases, politics, treaties and of course, corruption. Many people to suggest the construction of the Panama Canal would be impossible. Anyway, about 6,000 workers died of accidents and disease during the US construction phase of the canal.

imageproxy.php

Not listed for above profile, Gaillard Cut .... artificial valley that cuts through the Continental Divide between Gatun Lake and Pedro Miguel Locks. BTW, all lakes are man-made (Panama Canal Project)
Construction of the cut was one of the great engineering feats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culebra_Cut

Last edited:
McCullough always writes good books. I liked that one because I practiced at the firm that served as the lawyers to put the whole thing together. If you liked that one, you'll also like the one about building the Brooklyn bridge, the one about the Johnstown flood, JOhn Adams, and Harry Truman. You can't go wrong with any of his, although the one about the Wright brothers is a bit thin.

H-Max is the non-fiction capital of the internet! I figured a guy named East of Eden would throw some novels in the mix.:Lol::Stickouttongue: Anyhow, I'm a shameless Cormac McCarthy fanboi and recently finished Child of God. By McCarthy standards, it's kind of meh but, IMO, a "meh" McCarthy book is still better than most books. On the plus side, it contains one of the better necrophilia subplots I've read.:eek:

Yeah I have been on a nonfiction tour here lately. But last year I began to read all of the top twenty novels voted in the Great American Read that PBS sponsored that I had not read before. That kind of sated me for a while, even though I haven't finished all of them. I'm not sure I will since I just can't get through a couple that I have started over the years. I have squeezed in a couple of Flashman novels since then. however.

Much to my surprise, I found a couple of them very interesting evern though I had always thought of them as books for women,. Jane Eyre is a terrfic book, for example. You wouldn't go far wrong in selecting from that list ones you haven't read after reading a summary to see if it might ineterest you.

I am about half way through "Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City".

From wikipedia:
a 2016 non-fiction book by the American author Matthew Desmond. Set in the poorest areas of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the book follows eight families struggling to pay rent to their landlords around the 2008 financial crisis. It highlights the issues of extreme poverty, affordable housing, and economic exploitation in the United States.

The book won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction. Pulitzer committee's selected the book, "For a deeply researched exposé that showed how mass evictions after the 2008 economic crash were less a consequence than a cause of poverty." It also won the 2016 National Book Critics Circle Award, 2017 PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award for Nonfiction, 2017 Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Nonfiction Award, the 2017 Hillman Prize for Book Journalism, the 2017 Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize, and the 2018 Order of the Coif Book Award.

Jane Eyre is a terrfic book, for example.
Now you lost me. I was beginning to take your views very seriously, and then you had to say something positive about Jane Eyre. There are very few classic novels that I will disparage--in fact, can't think of another one--but that one is awful. From a pre-pubescent friend with the worldview of a Stoic philosopher crossed with Buddha, to a cowardly man who uses deception so as to avoid risking anything when trying to win Jane over, to the complete dismissal of the crazy wife in the attic, to Jane being sentenced in the end of the novel to spending her life taking care of a spineless man who was trying to woo her with deception while keeping his crazy wife locked up in the upstairs. Yeah, that's drivel.

I'll try to not hold that against you because everything else you said seems reasonable, but the fact that you like that book and recommend it to others makes me question everything else. :Unsure:

Do you want to read good fiction? Read something translated from Russian. When a culture has a millenium-plus of harsh winters and even harsher living conditions, they can pack enough hope and love and misery and heartbreak into a book to haunt you for the rest of your life. Ask me for recommendations, and I'll tailor them to your taste, but you can't go wrong with Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, and Chekhov, or any of Solzhenitsyn's fiction. I spent several years reading everything I could find that had been translated into English from Russian, and very few other authors can hold my interest anymore, except Jim Harrison and Wallace Stegner. Also, if you've never read A River Runs Through It, you should.

I haven't read any good books lately. I used to read some fiction, but haven't for a while and really have no other excuse than I am being lazy. I have always liked historical fiction. James Michner wrote a lot of good stuff in that vain. Also have read most of Tom Clancy's stuff.

I am with Ball Coach in thinking a somewhat classic is terrible. Everyone reads The Pearl by Steinbeck in the 8th or 9th grade. I thought that was the dumbest book I ever read. When I used to teach middle school and our English teacher in our pod would be having them read that book I would tell her what I thought of it.

I haven't read any good books lately. I used to read some fiction, but haven't for a while and really have no other excuse than I am being lazy. I have always liked historical fiction. James Michner wrote a lot of good stuff in that vain. Also have read most of Tom Clancy's stuff.

I am with Ball Coach in thinking a somewhat classic is terrible. Everyone reads The Pearl by Steinbeck in the 8th or 9th grade. I thought that was the dumbest book I ever read. When I used to teach middle school and our English teacher in our pod would be having them read that book I would tell her what I thought of it.
I want to make sure that you're clear that I was saying that Jane Eyre is about the only classic novel that I greatly dislike. I'm apathetic about The Pearl, but I like Steinbeck generally. From my personal junior high experiences, the only novel that stands out is All Quiet on the Western Front. It's haunting. There were great adolescent lit books that I liked a lot, but were never assigned to me. A Day No Pigs Would Die, Flowers for Algernon, Call of the Wild, and Where the Red Fern Grows were all very good.

When I was a sophomore in high school I was infatuated with trout and learning how to fly fish. One day during a lecture that bored me, I was flipping through the pages of my literature textbook when I came across Ernest Hemingway's "Big Two-hearted River." I had never read a story like that, and it changed everything about what I thought about literature, reading, and writing. The first chance that I had, I talked my mom into buying me a collection of Hemingway's short stories. I read the whole thing that day. I found The Old Man and the Sea in the school library, and I read the whole thing before I even had to check it out. I still admire the way that Hemingway could tell a story.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back