• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota wanting Hoiberg from early January

If Taylor "wanted" Hoiberg, why didn't he hire him in January? The "source" that stated he wants to stay in the NBA, was his agent. It was the proper thing to say at that time. Since the T-Wolves went with Flip's son, Hoiberg needed to continue to explore his options.

For a little perspective on how things have changed since January, the Husker basketball team was thought of as a shoe in for the NCAA tournament...

If Taylor "wanted" Hoiberg, why didn't he hire him in January? The "source" that stated he wants to stay in the NBA, was his agent. It was the proper thing to say at that time. Since the T-Wolves went with Flip's son, Hoiberg needed to continue to explore his options.

For a little perspective on how things have changed since January, the Husker basketball team was thought of as a shoe in for the NCAA tournament...
Just read it this morning...... Made me scratch my head of the subject. Nice opinion of your scratch!

Anyone catch the Des Moines Register guy on 1620 this morning? He apparently knows Hoiberg very well and said he hates recruiting. He's all about getting transfers in. The guy thinks that's ok overall for NU.

I'm not sure I really want a HC that hates recruiting. We've seen that in FB once and it didn't work out well.

Anyone catch the Des Moines Register guy on 1620 this morning? He apparently knows Hoiberg very well and said he hates recruiting. He's all about getting transfers in. The guy thinks that's ok overall for NU.

I'm not sure I really want a HC that hates recruiting. We've seen that in FB once and it didn't work out well.
Isn't this what Miles has been doing essentially?

But, but, but the
clown-smiley-emoticon.gif
...er...
troll-face-meme-smiley-emoticon.gif
says Moos let the cat out of the bag. The
troll-face-meme-smiley-emoticon.gif
can't be wrong, can he?

We don’t need a HC that loves to recruit, we need assistants that love to recruit. There are plenty of top coaches who don’t spend crazy amounts of time on the recruiting trail, but will come in and act as a closer. For what it’s worth, basketball recruiting is a fly speck by comparison to football. With only 2-4 scholarships to give on a given year, it’s not the mountain that football deals with.

We don’t need a HC that loves to recruit, we need assistants that love to recruit. There are plenty of top coaches who don’t spend crazy amounts of time on the recruiting trail, but will come in and act as a closer. For what it’s worth, basketball recruiting is a fly speck by comparison to football. With only 2-4 scholarships to give on a given year, it’s not the mountain that football deals with.
That's a fair point. I still think we need someone that loves to recruit. Those 2-4 a year form the lifeblood of the program after a few years.

That's a fair point. I still think we need someone that loves to recruit. Those 2-4 a year form the lifeblood of the program after a few years.

Just remember, transfers and jucos are also part of that recruiting, and those 2-4 scholarships. I love building 4 year players, but we need to remember, many of those transfers are guys we may not get a look at on the front end. Copeland certainly wasn’t coming to us out of high school, so it is a balance of finding the right players who fit.

I used to think it was all about finding guys, and grooming them for 4, even 5 years, and it is to some degree. But just because a guy is only with your program 2 or 3 years doesn’t mean you aren’t grooming and developing their game, you still have to work with them. You will always need to fill from the high school ranks, but looking back, our college team regularly had players transfer in, and many of them became starters or top rotation players.

I think we look at transfers as almost mercenaries, when in most cases, they’re just guys wanting a better fit. The key to having success is having a system, and having the new guys learn it, and play within it. Miles didn’t have much of a system, and his new players kind of became the system based on what they wanted to play.

Last edited:
Just remember, transfers and jucos are also part of that recruiting, and those 2-4 scholarships. I love building 4 year players, but we need to remember, many of those transfers are guys we may not get a look at on the front end. Copeland certainly wasn’t coming to us out of high school, so it is a balance of finding the right players who fit.

I used to think it was all about finding guys, and grooming them for 4, even 5 years, and it is to some degree. But just because a guy is only with your program 2 or 3 years doesn’t mean you aren’t grooming and developing their game, you still have to work with them. You will always need to fill from the high school ranks, but looking back, our college team regularly had players transfer in, and many of them became starters or top rotation players.

I think we look at transfers as almost mercenaries, when in most cases, they’re just guys wanting a better fit. The key to having success is having a system, and having the new guys learn it, and play within it. Miles didn’t have much of a system, and his new players kind of became the system based on what they wanted to play.
And that's the part of Palmer's game that he was given the green light to play that I really will not miss.

He also said that Fred said every coach hates recruiting, and if they say they dont, they are lying.

You really concerned about Fred’s recruiting given the talent he brought to Ames? Really?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back