• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The collapse of 2019: Was it sudden? Or was it destined?

Look, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. We all want NU to not suck at bball anymore.
Fyi, people might take your posts a lot more seriously if they weren't constantly loaded with shots at Moos.
Hey I’m a second class citizen when it comes to taking shots at Moos. OWH is on his nut stronger than I am. Maybe you complain about them, too.
$$$$$$ site.
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_25a51bb0-02b4-5d0c-bbc2-61e352eec699.html

Good Lord, you don't really know what you're talking about. First, there's a difference between the age of the AD and bringing in a coach to help build a program, someone who is 65 is probably too old to start that process. That being said, Rick Byrd, who was just an example I threw out there and not a possible candidate, would be the best coach Husker bball has ever had.
Eric Musselman is not coming to Nebraska. He's using the Nevada gig to get back in the NBA.
Hoiberg is worth a shot but he's probably going to UCLA . Plus, I question his coaching after his disaster with the Bulls. Could be a one off but he was really bad.

Please tell me all those other experienced coaches out there .Btw, the two examples you just gave aren't as accomplished at the college level as Rick Byrd.

Hoiberg may very well go to UCLA -- or realistically, he can garner offers from plenty of programs. But I do strongly disagree with using Hoiberg's stint with the Bulls against him. To me, that matters not one bit when considering a coach for college ball. Apples to oranges. The vast majority of head coaches who attempt to coach at both the college and pro level fail at one. Whether it's basketball, football, or probably other sports as well. Calipari, Pitino, Saban, Kelly, etc.

Fred Hoiberg was very successful at Iowa State. The only coach in ISU history to rattle off four consecutive seasons of more than 20 wins (no other ISU coach has managed more than two in a row). Iowa State hadn't won 20 games in a season for nine straight years before Hoiberg arrived (so it's not like he inherited a well-oiled machine). He also has the best winning percentage of any coach in Cyclone history. That's what matters to me. Not the NBA. Let alone the obvious plus that Hoiberg is going to grasp recruiting in that part of the country better than likely any other candidate. And, he's only 46.

True, I'm not counting on Hoiberg being Nebraska's next head coach. But he's easily my #1. The others aren't even close. (But I'll likely have to settle for someone else.)

Last edited:
Hoiberg may very well go to UCLA -- or realistically, he can garner offers from plenty of programs. But I do strongly disagree with using Hoiberg's stint with the Bulls against him. To me, that matters not one bit when considering a coach for college ball. Apples to oranges. The vast majority of head coaches who attempt to coach at both the college and pro level fail at one. Whether it's basketball, football, or probably other sports as well. Calipari, Pitino, Saban, Kelly, etc.

Fred Hoiberg was very successful at Iowa State. The only coach in ISU history to rattle off four consecutive seasons of more than 20 wins (no other ISU coach has managed more than two in a row). Iowa State hadn't won 20 games in a season for nine straight years before Hoiberg arrived (so it's not like he inherited a well-oiled machine). That's what matters to me. Not the NBA. Let alone the obvious plus that Hoiberg is going to grasp recruiting in that part of the country better than likely any other candidate. And, he's only 46.

True, I'm not counting on Hoiberg being Nebraska's next head coach. But he's easily my #1. The others aren't even close. (But I'll likely have to settle for someone else.)

It only raises my eyebrows because of how bad it was. But overall, I agree with you. I still like other candidates, but I'd be fine with the Mayor.

It only raises my eyebrows because of how bad it was. But overall, I agree with you. I still like other candidates, but I'd be fine with the Mayor.

Out of curiosity, which other candidates do you like (and I'm assuming you mean like more than Hoiberg)?

If Rick Byrd is one, I'd disagree.

Yes, Byrd is a tremendous coach at Belmont. But his entire life has revolved around the state of Tennessee. Born, raised, college, and coaching. Never left the state. He did once apply for the Tennessee Vols job and didn't get it. I don't care about his age -- other than for the fact that since he's spent all 65 of his years in that state, he's not leaving now.

And while I like Eric Mussleman, he's spent about three times as much of his career coaching professionals compared to college kids. Sure, I'm good if Moos asks (or has asked him), but he's definitely the type that could easily jump right back into the NBA. That said, he failed as an NBA head coach, but given his many years as an assistant, he definitely knows the ropes.

Look, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. We all want NU to not suck at bball anymore.
Fyi, people might take your posts a lot more seriously if they weren't constantly loaded with shots at Moos.

To the bolded, it would take months of useful, honest, non A hole interaction to reach this point. I'm not saying he shouldn't even try, because we need to strive to be better people, but, man....this is a monumental climb.

Out of curiosity, which other candidates do you like (and I'm assuming you mean like more than Hoiberg)?

If Rick Byrd is one, I'd disagree.

Yes, Byrd is a tremendous coach at Belmont. But his entire life has revolved around the state of Tennessee. Born, raised, college, and coaching. Never left the state. He did once apply for the Tennessee Vols job and didn't get it. I don't care about his age -- other than for the fact that since he's spent all 65 of his years in that state, he's not leaving now.

And while I like Eric Mussleman, he's spent about three times as much of his career coaching professionals compared to college kids. Sure, I'm good if Moos asks (or has asked him), but he's definitely the type that could easily jump right back into the NBA. That said, he failed as an NBA head coach, but given his many years as an assistant, he definitely knows the ropes.

I threw out Rick Byrd as an example of a great mid major coach who would do well anywhere, but I don't want him either. At 65 or whatever he is, I'd want a younger coach to help build this program.
I really, really love Murray States coach. He would be on the short list.
Part of me wonders if Hoiberg doesn't take the job, does NU think outside the box a little? The biggest thing for is getting a coach who differentiates himself with his system. After 7 years, I don't think anyone can say what Tim Miles "system" is. I'd love a coach who runs a fast paced system. Wes Miller at UNCG would fit that bill but people would be hesitant because of his lack of experience.
Anyway, if Hoiberg gets it, this is a moot point and I would be happy with the hire.

3 days ago there was no way on God’s green Earth that this was even a remote possibility. He was going to UCLA and NU was basketball purgatory. And everyone was idiotic to think differently.

Must of had an awakening...

To the bolded, it would take months of useful, honest, non A hole interaction to reach this point. I'm not saying he shouldn't even try, because we need to strive to be better people, but, man....this is a monumental climb.
You must of just got off work. Sucks not being around to tag team w your buddy. Ahhh, better late than never.

3 days ago there was no way on God’s green Earth that this was even a remote possibility. He was going to UCLA and NU was basketball purgatory. And everyone was idiotic to think differently.

Must of had an awakening...

Has he signed a contract with NU yet? Or maybe Moos is just that good to convince him to come.

*Must have

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back