• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

March 13 game against NDSU has been postponed...

I think they would be happy for some out door practices. :wow:
They were kicking around heading down to Waco early, just so they could practice outdoors. Until last weekend, they only had one infield/outfield and one full batting practice (coincidentally won that game with 21 runs). They are going to be slow to come around. All that said, they are finding the pieces they want in the field. Guys like Joe Acker and Carter Cross are playing their way into the lineup with .375 and .500 batting averages. Henwood got injured, and Cam Chick wasn't quite ready for the big stage, so we moved Hallmark to see if he could handle second base to get Cross and Acker some playing time. You can't tell anything thru 3 weekends, but our order is starting to shape up well:

3B Schwellenbach .318
SS Altavilla .268
DH Hagge .344
LF Palensky .333
C Roskam .189
CF Acker .375
RF Cross .545
1B Gomes .222
2B Hallmark .286

I can get down with that lineup. Ton of first and second year guys carrying us. If Altavilla and Roskam turn it on, watch out. What concerns me is pitching, tho we have been going against teams that can absolutely rake like Oregon State, Sam Houston State, Texas Tech. Waldron is securing his weekend spot, and I think they still have confidence in Fisher as our Saturday starter. Gotta find one more. But I think our struggles right now are more who we are playing (B1G only has one other team that is even close to Oregon State, Sam Houston State, and Texas Tech) along with pitch counts starting to be lifted.

I will be interested what we do once we get our last couple guys out of the throwing program. We still have a first year draft pick waiting to throw his first pitch in college. We will be ready for conference.

Last edited:
Definitely to our advantage to be playing in the Big Ten rather than the Big 12.

Basically all of the Big Ten (with exceptions to the East Coast schools) have been dealing with these same harsh winter conditions. If in the Big 12 still, the South teams have a tremendous jump (more than usual) over the North team.

Last edited:
Definitely to our advantage to be playing in the Big Ten rather than the Big 12.

Basically all of the Big Ten (with exceptions to the East Coast schools) have been dealing with these same harsh winter conditions. If in the Big 12 still, the South teams would have a tremendous jump (more than usual) over the North team.
That's a great point. Now, we just need to beat Baylor despite that this weekend.

Basically all of the Big Ten (with exceptions to the East Coast schools) have been dealing with these same harsh winter conditions. If in the Big 12 still, the South teams have a tremendous jump (more than usual) over the North team.
I'm curious if we ever do what Oregon State did this year since they are a northern school, but they just had two weekend tournaments back to back in Surprise, Arizona. They stayed down there for 12 days so they could practice outside. Not sure our administration would ever allow our guys to do that. They also are getting games in in Corvallis now which is interesting to me.

I'm curious if we ever do what Oregon State did this year since they are a northern school, but they just had two weekend tournaments back to back in Surprise, Arizona. They stayed down there for 12 days so they could practice outside. Not sure our administration would ever allow our guys to do that. They also are getting games in in Corvallis now which is interesting to me.

I suppose it depends how much a school is willing to spend to pay for room and board for a team for basically two weeks. Obviously, that's at the discretion of each university's athletic department.

Otherwise, Oregon State is not a true Northern school. The winters for the schools in the Pacific Northwest -- between the Coast and Cascades -- are not all that harsh. This winter, however, has been the worst (most wintry) this century. Otherwise, freezes are not common. Corvallis's average low in February is 35 and 50 is the normal high. While Lincoln's is 18 -- and the average high is the same as Corvallis's average low (35). Freezes are even less common in Seattle (some winters, it never freezes), which is farther north than Corvallis. However, Seattle is closer to the Coast than Corvallis, which keeps them a bit warmer. Most winters, it does not snow in Seattle. In Corvallis, they average about 3 inches per winter.

Seattle, Corvallis, Eugene -- all significantly milder winters than Lincoln (and all of the Big Ten schools), on average. The closest late-winter comparison to those Pac-12 cities would be Oklahoma City/Norman, in terms of temperatures.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends how much a school is willing to spend to pay for room and board for a team for basically two weeks. Obviously, that's at the discretion of each university's athletic department.

Otherwise, Oregon State is not a true Northern school. The winters for the schools in the Pacific Northwest -- between the Coast and Cascades -- are not all that harsh. This winter, however, has been the worst (most wintry) this century. Otherwise, freezes are not common. Corvallis's average low in February is 35 and 50 is the normal high. While Lincoln's is 18 -- and the average high is the same as Corvallis's average low (35). Freezes are even less common in Seattle (some winters, it never freezes), which is farther north than Corvallis. However, Seattle is closer to the Coast than Corvallis, which keeps them a bit warmer. Most winters, it does not snow in Seattle. In Corvallis, they average about 3 inches per winter.

Seattle, Corvallis, Eugene -- all significantly milder winters than Lincoln (and all of the Big Ten schools), on average. The closest late-winter comparison to those Pac-12 cities would be Oklahoma City/Norman, in terms of temperatures.
Makes me even more curious why we don’t do something like they do then with their weather being better than ours.

Makes me even more curious why we don’t do something like they do then with their weather being better than ours.

I suppose it's all a matter of where the UNL athletic department wishes to spend. At Oregon State, baseball may very well be a higher priority than it is at UNL.

I should note: Corvallis does have to contend with a lot more rainy days in the winter than does Lincoln. If it's not raining, it's usually warm enough to practice/play baseball outdoors.

Last edited:

I suppose it's all a matter of where the UNL athletic department wishes to spend. At Oregon State, baseball may very well be a higher priority than it is at UNL.

I should note: Corvallis does have to contend with a lot more rainy days in the winter than does Lincoln. If it's not raining, it's usually warm enough to practice/play baseball outdoors.
I think Oregon State did a really good job of knowing that they had something special in Coach Casey. Heck, before that dude walked away, he was set to make over one million dollars his final year. We are paying Erstad 160k or something like that. I read a stat that fewer than 10% of NCAA baseball programs turn a profit. And when you have a guy like Eichorst in charge of something that has an uphill battle to make money, it's not good. I'd be curious how a school like LSU regularly turns a profit for baseball (besides being good most of the time). Nebraska loses about 750k annually, so it's not like we are going to go out and pay 400k a year for a coach to make it a cool million every year we lose on the program.

In a way off topic conversation... I think there's 3 things they could do to get more money coming their way:

1) More premium seating. The volleyball team finally turned a profit when they moved to the Devaney Center, something a lot of people forget about with Osborne.
2) More local kids. The bottom line is if they start doing better in Lincoln and Omaha, they are going to get more people coming to watch their games. They have done much better in Omaha, but are still striking out in Lincoln much of time which is just so odd to me.
3) Gotta win more. I still remember TD Ameritrade when we were playing for a conference title there under Erstad. If he gets it going, people will come.
54629a1e7216f.image.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back