• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* DT Logan Jones from Iowa

The reason for the angst: Harrison Phillips, the lineman from Lincoln that went to Wisky, Drew Ott, Bazatta. Granted they were not under Frost's watch, but they still inger in our memory of kids who should have been offered or offered earlier.
I think that's where it will be interesting... DIaco and staff chose Mapieu due to his measureables over Williams. Williams wasn't a NG and wasn't "long" enough for DE. Will our new staff do the same? I'm aware that they went after Williams when they got here, and I really doubt they will let a local kid get away to Wisconsin in a full recruiting cycle, but based on the thread we are in, maybe they would?

To your other guys listed like Ott, Bazata, and others. Ott would probably have been ok, and at NG we will sacrifice height more than at DE. But it will be really cool to see.

If Nash Hutmacher is the staff's priority at NG for the 2020 class as a high school player, another target might be JUCO DT Perrion Winfrey from Iowa Western who just received at offer. He's 6'4", 306.

https://247sports.com/player/perrion-winfrey-46039840/

I'm taking seriously the idea that Hutmacher would both wrestle and play football, which would mean that he has to hang close to that 285 lb mark for wrestling. He's not going to be an effective NG at 285 nor an OT, but possibly an interior O-lineman or SDE. I don't know the terminology that well for all of the 3-4 fronts' different looks, but I've noticed that Chinander likes to run the Bear-front 3-4 (with a D-lineman covering the C and both Gs), and that requires a DE who is more like a DT. Is that possibly where they'd want Hutmacher to play? It's a sincere, open-ended question, so I'm open to whatever you're thinking.

Last edited:

I think that's where it will be interesting... DIaco and staff chose Mapieu due to his measureables over Williams. Williams wasn't a NG and wasn't "long" enough for DE. Will our new staff do the same? I'm aware that they went after Williams when they got here, and I really doubt they will let a local kid get away to Wisconsin in a full recruiting cycle, but based on the thread we are in, maybe they would?

To your other guys listed like Ott, Bazata, and others. Ott would probably have been ok, and at NG we will sacrifice height more than at DE. But it will be really cool to see.
I’ll be interested to see if Jones attends the Adidas lineman camp this June or if he is truly firm in his Iowa commitment and skips it.

I'm taking seriously the idea that Hutmacher would both wrestle and play football, which would mean that he has to hang close to that 285 lb mark for wrestling. He's not going to be an effective NG at 285 nor an OT, but possibly an interior O-lineman or SDE. I don't know the terminology that well for all of the 3-4 fronts' different looks, but I've noticed that Chinander likes to run the Bear-front 3-4 (with a D-lineman covering the C and both Gs), and that requires a DE who is more like a DT. Is that possibly where they'd want Hutmacher to play? It's a sincere, open-ended question, so I'm open to whatever you're thinking.
Depending on the amount of weight he carries in college will help answer that question. This is one of those that we will just have to see how it plays out.

With that said, getting a JUCO DT from Iowa Western would be huge for the 2020 class.

I get it, what if he’s listed at 6’3 and is 6’1 or 6’2?
Easy peasy.

rack_explanation.jpg

So, who is going to be the next to commit to Nebraska's class of 2020?

It's about time for one or two.

Unlike the RB position, I don't recall us being in a position to turn away 4* DT talent; even if they are 2 inches shorter than the rock star Nash Hut...
Even if Nash Hut.... is a guaranteed commit lock, we still need to shore up this area of need.
Once the DT Transfer from Okie St does his time here then do we still feel comfortable at this position ?
I don't think so.
Maybe they felt that Logan was a Hawkeye lock, and he would simply have toyed with us.
Being a 4 star does not necessarily make him a great fit. We’ve seen no stars come in and go on to play pro ball and 5 stars who’ve never matched the hype. (Though we haven’t closed on many 5 stars).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back