• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

Ummmm When do we start counting pancake blocks again?

Hmm...when Nebraska starts pancaking the opponent in a game.

tenor.gif

Nash Hutmacher of Chamberlain, SD pinned 4 wrestlers in 4 matches at the South Dakota state wrestling championships, and he needed only 1:59 to do it. He won the championship in 0:09. I can't find a video that shows the first 3 seconds of the match, so I assume that those 3 seconds were reasonably competitive, but after that the remaining 2/3 of the match were all Hutmacher:

This kid (and he's a still a kid: look at the baby fat on his face!) is insanely talented. He hasn't been beaten since he was an 8th grader, and that year saw 3 of the best heavyweight wrestlers in recent state history all stacked up in his class. He won every match this year by pin except for one forfeit.

Here's the best part: The word on the street (or "mat" if you prefer) is that he's coming to Nebraska, and it's being discussed that it will be a special arrangement. He's a NCAA champion caliber of wrestler, but he's also got NFL-type measurables for a lineman, so which sport do you choose? Both, apparently. The rumor is that he's going to sign with Nebraska to both wrestle and play football, but he'll redshirt his first year in football while wrestling to see if he can do both, or if he wants to choose one over the other. The people who were discussing this didn't understand the implications of what that means as far as a scholarship, but I assume that that means that Nebraska will sign him on a wrestling scholarship, but it will turn over into a football scholarship when/if he starts seeing the field as a player. He wants to focus more on football, but he is having a hard time turning down all that could be accomplished in wrestling.

I predict that he's N. I also predict that @Bean is smiling as he reads this.

Edit: Here's the full match, in case you were wondering (like me) what happened in the first 3 seconds:

Last edited:

The Nebraska wrestling team is starting to get pretty good. They have put together back to back to back top 10 classes (2016, 2017 and 2018). I'd be curious if our coaches would let Nash wrestle heavyweight. I'm not worried about the cutting down to 285, he could get back to 300-310 pretty easily. I'm curious what they want his goal weight to be. If it's 340, wrestling may not be the best thing. If they are ok with 310/315, I think it's doable. He's currently the third ranked wrestler in the country at 285.

Impressive strength and agility and he’s just a kid. I could see him dominating defensive linemen all day long.
Apart from the wrestling part of the equation, I would have assumed that his natural position would be Noseguard. If you look at him up close, he isn't even physically mature yet. He could probably carry 340+ and retain that quickness, which would make him an NFL draft pick at NG.
The Nebraska wrestling team is starting to get pretty good. They have put together back to back to back top 10 classes (2016, 2017 and 2018). I'd be curious if our coaches would let Nash wrestle heavyweight. I'm not worried about the cutting down to 285, he could get back to 300-310 pretty easily. I'm curious what they want his goal weight to be. If it's 340, wrestling may not be the best thing. If they are ok with 310/315, I think it's doable. He's currently the third ranked wrestler in the country at 285.
I basically said the same things above, but now you have me wondering if maybe the thought is that he could stay around 300 lb and play OL, which would work better with wrestling also. I haven't seen enough of his football film to know, but I don't think he's an OT. A 300+ lb interior lineman with that kind of quickness, leverage, strength, and attitude would be nice to have.

My hunch is that the Nebraska coaches are just trying to make it plainly known to him that they want him at Nebraska, and they can figure the details out later. If that's what they're doing, it's very smart, and it's always good to be transparent. If any other coaches come in and want a hard commitment to just football, I don't think he's anywhere close to being ready to make that decision. I don't know if/how the wrestling staff and football staff interact with one another, but if I was Frost I'd rather have Hutmacher wrestling for Nebraska and NOT playing football than have him playing football for a B1G opponent, which is about the only football alternative that he's considering. He loves both sports, too, so I think that if he's on campus as a Husker, he'll eventually play football for us. Thinking WAY ahead, if he redshirts in football as a freshman but wrestles, he'll always have that 5th year of only football available.

Fwiw, his family have been long-time Husker fans. I don't see him playing football for anyone else. Also, @ShortSideOption have you seen the video of his dad getting after it in the weight room? [Edit: Here's the link of his dad dead lifting 500 lb 10x.] This family has dominant big-man genes running throughout their family tree. I went to college with an uncle (I think he was his uncle), and he was built the same way with the same aggressive attitude.

Here's an article about his dad: https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/ne...ief-still-competing-states-best-weightlifters

Last edited:
Apart from the wrestling part of the equation, I would have assumed that his natural position would be Noseguard. If you look at him up close, he isn't even physically mature yet. He could probably carry 340+ and retain that quickness, which would make him an NFL draft pick at NG.

I basically said the same things above, but now you have me wondering if maybe the thought is that he could stay around 300 lb and play OL, which would work better with wrestling also. I haven't seen enough of his football film to know, but I don't think he's an OT. A 300+ lb interior lineman with that kind of quickness, leverage, strength, and attitude would be nice to have.

My hunch is that the Nebraska coaches are just trying to make it plainly known to him that they want him at Nebraska, and they can figure the details out later. If that's what they're doing, it's very smart, and it's always good to be transparent. If any other coaches come in and want a hard commitment to just football, I don't think he's anywhere close to being ready to make that decision. I don't know if/how the wrestling staff and football staff interact with one another, but if I was Frost I'd rather have Hutmacher wrestling for Nebraska and NOT playing football than have him playing football for a B1G opponent, which is about the only football alternative that he's considering. He loves both sports, too, so I think that if he's on campus as a Husker, he'll eventually play football for us. Thinking WAY ahead, if he redshirts in football as a freshman but wrestles, he'll always have that 5th year of only football available.

Fwiw, his family have been long-time Husker fans. I don't see him playing football for anyone else. Also, @ShortSideOption have you seen the video of his dad getting after it in the weight room? This family has dominant big-man genes running throughout their family tree. I went to college with an uncle (I think he was his uncle), and he was built the same way with the same aggressive attitude.

Here's an article about his dad: https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/ne...ief-still-competing-states-best-weightlifters
I think you are probably right, that they just want him here. That being said, i'm pretty sure they see him as their NG for the 2020 class. I believe they are thinking that about Ethan Piper as well for 2019.

His dad certainly lets you know where Nash gets his competitiveness from.

Fwiw, his family have been long-time Husker fans. I don't see him playing football for anyone else. Also, @ShortSideOption have you seen the video of his dad getting after it in the weight room? This family has dominant big-man genes running throughout their family tree. I went to college with an uncle (I think he was his uncle), and he was built the same way with the same aggressive attitude.

I would add that his choices for wrestling would also put him in the B1G. The B1G is so far ahead of the rest of the NCAA in Wrestling it is not even funny. In many cases the Top three in the B1G are also the top three in the nation. Only one weight class did not have at least two of the top three being members of the B1G.

Read some where that he was to wrestle Benhart sometime this year. Has it already happened?
It was supposed to already. No idea if it already did.
My niece's boyfriend is a wrestler on the Chamberlain team. At Christmas we were discussing this because it was thought that he was the only one who might actually finish a match with Hutmacher (nobody else did), but something happened, and the match fell through. I don't know the details. It's possible--and this is just me thinking out loud--that that tournament was scheduled at the same time as the Under Armour All-American game, which is something that would have come up and changed Benhart's schedule for wrestling.

Last edited:
I would add that his choices for wrestling would also put him in the B1G. The B1G is so far ahead of the rest of the NCAA in Wrestling it is not even funny. In many cases the Top three in the B1G are also the top three in the nation. Only one weight class did not have at least two of the top three being members of the B1G.
Wrestling is the one reason why the B1G might someday want to add Oklahoma State and/or Iowa State.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back