• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The IMG Academy - Wow!

Sorry, Para, this guy and HCSF are definitely NOT cut from the same cloth. I'd say he's more like Nick Saban.

There are different ways to achieve success. Just because 2 people have both tasted success, doesn't mean they both got there the same way.

Sorry, Para, this guy and HCSF are definitely NOT cut from the same cloth.

I have to agree with this, so I changed it to say that SF and NB have a couple things in common...They are both great visionaries who have had a positive impact on many, many people. Beyond that, SF and NB may not have that much in common.

But regardless, NB "Got er Done". He created one of the best sports academies in the world. Ambitious, dedicated athletes benefit from the professional training, and it provides employment for a whole lot of fine, professional people.

The IMG Academy is a great institution and NB made it happen. I certainly think he deserved my salute.

Last edited:

This is sort of football related because one of our players, Broc Brando from Lincoln, attended the IMG academy.

I am on vacation in Florida and I recently spent 5 days lodging at the IMG academy. The place is amazing. For junior athletes, it might be the best sports training academy in the world.

The campus is 600 acres! It provides world class training in football, soccer, track & field, baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, and lacrosse...and I may have missed a couple more.

I looks like a typical college campus, however just like a military post, you must have authorization to gain access.

IMG has an East and a West Campus. The East campus is for tennis and basketball. The basketball facility has four full-size basketball courts in one building. They have 4 indoor tennis courts and about 50 outdoor tennis courts.

The West campus is where all of the students live...in modern 4-story dormitories. The 2 campuses are about 500 yards apart (separated by an ominous swamp) and trams run every 10 minutes to take folks to and from each campus. The swamp is crossed on a long wooden bridge.

The West campus is huge. It has the dorms, the schools, the cafeteria, and the large fields for all of the other sports.

Both campuses have facilities for weight training and sports medicine/rehab.

I am sure we all trained for our sports after school. That's not how it is done at IMG. On every school day, the tennis players were on the courts training from 8 to 11:30 AM...with one tennis pro on every court and not more than 4 students on a court. On a normal day, I'd say 30 to 40 courts were being used...and all of the kids were excellent players...world class junior players. I suppose that is true of all the athletes that attend IMG...you have to be a top notch athlete to get an invitation to attend IMG. To me it looked like none of the students had more than 4% body fat.

The student-athletes come from all over the world. I ate at the cafeteria a few times and one time I found myself standing in line behind a 7-footer from China.

The kids attend academic classes in the afternoon. Like a military academy, they all wore the same uniform every day, but it is an athletic uniform of one kind or another.

Anyway, the IMG academy was the brain child of tennis pro Nick Bollettieri. Many years ago it started out as the Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Bradenton, Florida (a year-round resident tennis academy with the students attending Bradenton high school). Nick hooked up with IMG and they expanded it to include other sports and now they have their own academic school. It's like a private small town.

I ran into Nick while I was there. He is 87 years old now and he still spends time on the courts teaching. I told him that his vision has had a positive impact on countless thousands of people and then I gave him a salute. He saluted me back and told me he was once an Army paratrooper.

Our HC Scott Frost and Nick Bolletterri have a couple things in common...they are both great visionaries who are having a positive impact on the lives many, many people.

Nick Bollettieri

nick-bollettieri-headshot-200x275.jpg

Do you typically like to vacation at high schools or is this something new you are trying out.... asking for a friend

Do you typically like to vacation at high schools or is this something new you are trying out.... asking for a friend

I am in Florida playing the Florida Super Senior Grand Prix tennis circuit. As a military retiree I was staying at MacDill AFB's guest housing on a space available basis at $70 a night. MacDill was close enough to commute to 5 of the tournaments (those in Bradenton and Sarasota), but MacDill had no space available from 10 to 14 February...so knowing that the IMG Academy had tennis courts that I could use to practice on, and since it was only 10 miles from the tournament I was playing that week, I called them to see if they had available lodging. They did, and the price was comparable to a Holiday Inn Express.

IMG has condos and villas on their property that you can buy....and people can rent them out to visitors like me. So IMG is not just for kids. Adults live there too, and they have tennis programs for adults.

I was allowed to use the tennis courts after 5 PM each day after the kids were done using them, and they also had a wall I could use for practice. That is why I chose to stay at IMG rather than at a Holiday Inn Express.

And while I was there I got to see some of the world's best junior tennis players, and I was able to see the entire campus. It was a nice additional amenity that Holiday Inn Express could not offer.

So, now I am back at MacDill. I have played 3 tournaments so far and I won one of them. I have 3 more to go. Would you care to wish me good luck?

Last edited:

I am in Florida playing the Florida Super Senior Grand Prix tennis circuit. As a military retiree I was staying at MacDill AFB's guest housing on a space available basis at $70 a night. MacDill was close enough to commute to 5 of the tournaments (those in Bradenton and Sarasota), but MacDill had no space available from 10 to 14 February...so knowing that the IMG Academy had tennis courts that I could use to practice on, and since it was only 10 miles from the tournament I was playing that week, I called them to see if they had available lodging. They did, and the price was comparable to a Holiday Inn Express.

IMG has condos and villas on their property that you can buy....and people can rent them out to visitors like me. So IMG is not just for kids. Adults live there too, and they have tennis programs for adults.

I was allowed to use the tennis courts after 5 PM each day after the kids were done using them, and they also had a wall I could use for practice. That is why I chose to stay at IMG rather than at a Holiday Inn Express.

And while I was there I got to see some of the world's best junior tennis players, and I was able to see the entire campus. It was a nice additional amenity that Holiday Inn Express could not offer.

So, now I am back at MacDill. I have played 3 tournaments so far and I won one of them. I have 3 more to go. Would you care to wish me good luck?
Congratulations.

Sounds like a pretty neat deal.

I'd say he's more like Nick Saban.
You're not being fair to Saban who has been married to his first and only wife since he was in college. Also, Saban can tell you the names and details of an unbelievable number of people who have crossed his path. Although he hasn't been married 8 times, I have a hunch that Saban could tell you the names of up to 8 girls he dated before he got married ... if he even dated that many girls.

Definitely NOT like Nick Saban.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back