• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mike Dawson to the Giants

How would one know unless given an opportunity? Conversely, one individual named Tom Osborne was a successful coach and former player. There are many former players who were great coaches.

Not certain if this debate is meant to be theoretical, or practical.

Has JP signaled any interest in coaching at any level? If not, we’re just having a theoretical toss around.

Presuming he has/does has/had interest in coaching - over time, the conventional wisdom of the board is that NU shouldn’t be your first, full time coaching gig. And yes, GA experience does count.

Has he coached DL anywhere to date?

How would one know unless given an opportunity? Conversely, one individual named Tom Osborne was a successful coach and former player. There are many former players who were great coaches.

The question is not whether former players make for good coaches (obviously, they can).

The question is what kind of preparation is required to be a high-quality D1 position coach.

If you want JP to fill the open slot on our staff, my first question would be “where is he coaching currently?”

Last edited:
Wikipedia already has Montgomery hired! Haha! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Montgomery

Montgomery began a career in coaching while he was playing in the Arena League, working as an assistant at Iowa City West High School and North Iowa Area Community College. He later served as a graduate assistant at Northern Iowa in 2006, before being promoted to full-time defensive line coach for the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

In 2009, Montgomery moved west to serve as defensive line coach at Wyoming on the first staff of Dave Christensen, staying through the 2010 season.

In January 2011, Montgomery briefly served as defensive tackles coach at Indiana under head coach Kevin Wilson.[5] However, he was soon hired away by Michigan and new head coach Brady Hoke in February 2011. Montgomery served as defensive line coach for the Wolverines for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. With the Wolverines, Montgomery served as the chief recruiter for 5-star commitments Derrick Green and Ondre Pipkins[6]

From 2013-2014, Montgomery served as the defensive line coach at Oklahoma under head coach Bob Stoops, earning a salary of $325,000 in 2013 and $380,000 in 2014. He was promoted after two seasons with Oklahoma to co-defensive coordinator on January 6, 2015, where he was expected to lead the defense alongside Mike Stoops.[7]

His tenure as co-defensive coordinator with the Sooners was brief.[8] On February 12, 2015, the Green Bay Packers of the NFL confirmed that they hired Montgomery, giving him the title of "defensive front assistant".[9]Montgomery stated that the Packers "offered an unbelievable opportunity" to pursue his dream of coaching in the National Football League.[10]

In January 2018, Montgomery was hired as the assistant head coach and defensive line coach on Jimbo Fisher's staff at Texas A&M.[11] Later in January 2018, Montgomery instead opted to remain with the Packers as the defensive line coach on the reorganized staff of head coach Mike McCarthy. Montgomery had spent 2 weeks recruiting on behalf of Texas A&M[12]

In February, 2019 Montgomery joined Scott Frost and the Nebraska Cornhuskers as defensive line coach

All of them? Or just the few you know? I think PSU in general is and should be happy with their current situation. Light years ahead of where NU is right now.
Everyone I talk with here in Pennsylvania think he can’t win the big one and he chokes at the end of games. He blew the Ohio State game and the bowl game against Kentucky. Many believe his offensive coordinator ( now head coach at Mississippi St.) is the one responsible for them winning the Big Ten . He’s recruiting extremely well but they expect more,there’s been a good deal of assistant coach turnover.
I don’t see them that far ahead of the Huskers they have a tremendous home field advantage because of their student section. It’s a very tough place to win however Bo won their twice.
Search Franklin on twitter and you’re going to find some very unhappy fans.

Everyone I talk with here in Pennsylvania think he can’t win the big one and he chokes at the end of games. He blew the Ohio State game and the bowl game against Kentucky. Many believe his offensive coordinator ( now head coach at Mississippi St.) is the one responsible for them winning the Big Ten . He’s recruiting extremely well but they expect more,there’s been a good deal of assistant coach turnover.
I don’t see them that far ahead of the Huskers they have a tremendous home field advantage because of their student section. It’s a very tough place to win however Bo won their twice.
I am who also believes this about Franklin. Joe Moorhead was a big boost for Penn St. Really hard for them to replace...should have Miss St consistently pushing for the top of the SEC.

I agree but I would like your opinion on an article in the World Herald today about coaching 'turnover'.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_43a5f41f-e8cd-5264-bd89-aefe21276d10.html

but a defensive lineman who learns four different techniques is at more of a disadvantage.

So many changes. So much drama. It accumulates.

His departure will hurt a defensive line that’s undergone constant change. Yes, college kids are resilient, but Carlos and Khalil Davis were recruited by a guy (Rick Kaczenski) who never coached them before playing for three different coaches. Now they’ll get another.

Iowa’s defensive line coach has been the same guy, Reese Morgan, for seven seasons. Before that, Morgan was Iowa’s offensive line coach for nine years.
The Hawkeyes are pretty good at line play for a reason. NU fans should feel good that Greg Austin, a former Husker himself, is entrenched and committed here as much as Frost is.

Those are Some tidbits from the article to me that make me want someone with Husker connections, not that it is the best way and I get it shrinks the pool but there are some arguments as to why it might be a good idea. At a minimum it would be nice to have a coach really committ to 3 years before moving on, which I get is hard to do.

Does any of that make sense?

You gotta be a subscriber to read that article, but I read what you posted...

I'm not arguing that it's a big benefit when a coaching staff sticks together for long periods of time. I just don't think they have to be alumni for it to happen. Your example, Reese Morgan, isn't an Iowa grad. Sure he coached HS ball in the state, but I just don't see the correlation at all. There are tons of assistant coaches who stick at a school or follow a coach from job to job who aren't linked to said University.

And I also disagree with some people's opinions that a guy needs to be from Nebraska or have coached or played for the Huskers to get the culture. That's covered already. The head coach sets the tone, builds the culture and sets the standard. Frost has that covered. Guys like Frost, Ruud, Held and Austin could make sure any new addition will understand the Husker Way. But frankly they won't have to do that. The culture is what it is now. The d-line coach won't need to be Jason Peter, Grant Wistrom or Adam Carriker so that they "get it."

You gotta be a subscriber to read that article, but I read what you posted...

I'm not arguing that it's a big benefit when a coaching staff sticks together for long periods of time. I just don't think they have to be alumni for it to happen. Your example, Reese Morgan, isn't an Iowa grad. Sure he coached HS ball in the state, but I just don't see the correlation at all. There are tons of assistant coaches who stick at a school or follow a coach from job to job who aren't linked to said University.

And I also disagree with some people's opinions that a guy needs to be from Nebraska or have coached or played for the Huskers to get the culture. That's covered already. The head coach sets the tone, builds the culture and sets the standard. Frost has that covered. Guys like Frost, Ruud, Held and Austin could make sure any new addition will understand the Husker Way. But frankly they won't have to do that. The culture is what it is now. The d-line coach won't need to be Jason Peter, Grant Wistrom or Adam Carriker so that they "get it."

Agreed they don't have to be former players, that is why I attached the line at the bottom about committing to being in a place for 3 years which I would assume is hard to do for a position coach who is not an alumnus, not that it couldn't be done or isn't done, I guess I just think it is easier for an alumnus to be more willing to stay. But the most important part is finding the right fit, alumnus be damned.

Not certain if this debate is meant to be theoretical, or practical.

Has JP signaled any interest in coaching at any level? If not, we’re just having a theoretical toss around.

Presuming he has/does has/had interest in coaching - over time, the conventional wisdom of the board is that NU shouldn’t be your first, full time coaching gig. And yes, GA experience does count.

Has he coached DL anywhere to date?
Do not know,

I would put Osborne and Frost in a similar category. Good football players, Frost had more success, both 'sort of' made it to the next level. MOST good coaches were good but not great players. Again, the desire to push oneself and maximize your own talent is one motivational pattern. The drive to coach, develop and maximize the potential of another person or team is a different motivational pattern. Sometimes those two overlap. Beyond the desire, there's the ability. The ability to do something and teach someone else to do something at a high level are not the same.
Having played, coached the game , and officiated the game, experience as a player is a major factor to the knowledge base required to teach the game.

TO joined the staff as an unpaid assistant. Huge difference than naming JP the DL coach with a huge gap between his last coaching job and now. There are many more DL coaches out there that have the college experience required for the job.

C
One has to start somewhere. Maybe JP could be an unpaid assistant.

Some of the first few phone calls I would make would be to Ron Aiken, who worked with Frost at Oregon, Jerry Montgomery, as everyone has already talked about, and then my outsider who I would love for us to look into would be Bo Davis. He's had a 2 year show cause from some violations that came up while he was at Bama but that's expiring soon and the guy was a rock star recruiter with heavy ties to the south. I wouldn't be opposed to plucking Brick Haley from Mizzou either.

I have many Penn State connections. Huge meteorology program, which I did some volunteer work for. Let alone -- like you -- having lived in PA.

There's a few Franklin apologists, but most are extremely down on Franklin and the program right now, as you say. I read their negativity as Facebook friends on a routine basis. And yes, losing top notch assistants and replacing them with apparently far less qualified assistants seems to be a major reason.

Also, I believe PSU is 1-2 against each Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State the past three seasons. This past season, Michigan completely dismantled PSU to the tune of 42-7. And the season as a whole was considered a huge, underachieving disappointment. Trace McSorley was on everyone's preseason Heisman list, but he fell way short of expectations. He threw for over 1,000 yards fewer than 2017, 10 fewer TD throws, and a completion rate of 53% -- compared to 67% the year prior.

I don't know that Franklin is on the hot seat going into 2019 -- but if he doesn't show signs of improvement, he soon will be.

I have many Penn State connections. Huge meteorology program, which I did some volunteer work for. Let alone -- like you -- having lived in PA.

There's a few Franklin apologists, but most are extremely down on Franklin and the program right now, as you say. I read their negativity as Facebook friends on a routine basis. And yes, losing top notch assistants and replacing them with apparently far less qualified assistants seems to be a major reason.

Also, I believe PSU is 1-2 against each Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State the past three seasons. This past season, Michigan completely dismantled PSU to the tune of 42-7. And the season as a whole was considered a huge, underachieving disappointment. Trace McSorley was on everyone's preseason Heisman list, but he fell way short of expectations. He threw for over 1,000 yards fewer than 2017, 10 fewer TD throws, and a completion rate of 53% -- compared to 67% the year prior.

I don't know that Franklin is on the hot seat going into 2019 -- but if he doesn't show signs of improvement, he soon will be.
Penn State won’t be stupid and fire a coach for winning 9 games a year ( like Nebraska did twice) but they will always beat the softies like Temple on their pre season schedules.They have enough talent to beat all of the weaker teams remaining like Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland types with Franklin.
The fans that I know are frustrated with the poor inconsistent play against Michigan, MSU and Ohio State. They mock his post game press conferences after losses ( he’s not very good after a loss) but he’s going to be there a while with 9 win seasons and the Big Ten Championship he won two years ago.
With the right coach they’d be a powerhouse year in and year out but with that much talent and their home field advantage Franklin will be around a while winning 9 games.However losing to Pitt and Temple could change things.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back