• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Interesting reddit thread on recruiting ranking bias.

Always good to be reminded, because too many people take the rankings as the bible. its not, not even close.

come on Man, cuz you didnt do it, its not ground breaking or new and no big deal? Lord...
Thanks Redo, great post!!

Sort of like your condescending drive by personal attacks. Which we have too many conversations about. Of course you keep doing it anyway.

RR

If it was my job to rank these kids and I had a 3 star ranked guy blowing up with offers from Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc., I’d be wondering if I missed something and take a second look. Bias or no bias the top schools obviously know how to identify top talent.

I don’t think recruiting rankings are everything or nothing. I do believe there is some merit to what they put together and that there is some bias as well.

If Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, or Kirby Smart are after a player that I may have ranked lower I might reevaluate where I currently had the recruit ranked. The top recruiting schools are doing something right and they obviously have an eye for talent-You can be pro Cornhusker and admit this. Sure there are some biases but the best recruiting schools on average are having the best seasons and have the best shot at the CFP. There is an outlier here or there but generally speaking the top recruiting schools are getting the best results. Making it even more difficult, they also have some of the best coaching which in my opinion creates a real battle for the Cornhuskers get to the playoff. We can win the west with 20-ish type recruiting classes and great development but not sure we can consistently expect much better. Hopefully some winning will bring more talent.

If it was my job to rank these kids and I had a 3 star ranked guy blowing up with offers from Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc., I’d be wondering if I missed something and take a second look. Bias or no bias the top schools obviously know how to identify top talent.

I don’t think recruiting rankings are everything or nothing. I do believe there is some merit to what they put together and that there is some bias as well.

If Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, or Kirby Smart are after a player that I may have ranked lower I might reevaluate where I currently had the recruit ranked. The top recruiting schools are doing something right and they obviously have an eye for talent-You can be pro Cornhusker and admit this. Sure there are some biases but the best recruiting schools on average are having the best seasons and have the best shot at the CFP. There is an outlier here or there but generally speaking the top recruiting schools are getting the best results. Making it even more difficult, they also have some of the best coaching which in my opinion creates a real battle for the Cornhuskers get to the playoff. We can win the west with 20-ish type recruiting classes and great development but not sure we can consistently expect much better. Hopefully some winning will bring more talent.

OK so the part of this I think you are missing is not the what happens when the top guys offer. That is just logic. If the best evaluaters offer of course you re evaluate. However the other side of the coin is when guys choose a non standard choice like KS or MD. Then they drop. That should not happen. That was what the article was really about.

Agree. There is a smattering of accuracy and a smattering of imagery in every ranking. These kids are being followed by football expert after all...but the experts are human beings and human beings make mistakes, too. As the timeline nears NSD, the rankings seem to follow the number and quality of offerings that a recruit has received.

Its nothing new and has been discussed numerous times over the years in this forum.

Actually this board is filled with posts that are discussed and re-discussed. I didn't know there was a policy that only new topics could be brought up, especially in the off season. Also, since the post gave some pretty interesting examples of what "has been discussed numerous times" without these facts, i think it probably made some people take notice. Stuff i've been saying (as have many others) for a long time, but maybe more will see the light?

Actually this board is filled with posts that are discussed and re-discussed. I didn't know there was a policy that only new topics could be brought up, especially in the off season. Also, since the post gave some pretty interesting examples of what "has been discussed numerous times" without these facts, i think it probably made some people take notice. Stuff i've been saying (as have many others) for a long time, but maybe more will see the light?

I hope more do see the light

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back