• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Misplaced Optimism

I appreciate a view of the situation from the inside, so thank you Jack Riggins. I don't have any special knowledge or insight to the dynamics of the team, but I believe coach Miles has felt a lot of pressure the last 2 years. When last season started there were more than few that were calling for Miles head. As last season progressed they were pretty muted but you could feel their presence and knew they were waiting to pounce with a vengeance. If what you say is true about support for the MBB team,I would hazard a guess the AD is looking at appeasing the fan base more so than putting resources into making the program successful. This season has been wasted, possibly sabotaged so the administration can remove Coach Miles. But my caution to everyone is that 9-11 of these players may not be here next year. With the advent of the NCAA's willingness to allow transfers to be immediately eligible I could see the this team gutted next year. So sad it has come to this but as the cat with the machine gun will tell you The Red Phoenix must be burned to ashes before it can rise again.

What? What? Do you not follow what I posted? Let me know your questions, and I will try to make it clear if you are interested.

Maybe if I said Jack Stark was an outside consultant/volunteer for Husker FB in the 1990's, which he was it would make more sense. Jack Stark is now an outside consultant/volunteer for Bluejay Basketball right now.

Think of that role "I guess" to help you understand the similar service provided by current day volunteers/consultants around programs. Of which I described above. Cheers.

Ok this post and the one with the link to the article makes more sense.

Your first post is one long incoherent paragraph.

To me, the lack of a post presence or at least some length in the post was our un-doing. It was one of those weaknesses that jumped out on paper in the pre-season but took me some time to fully accept.

I appreciate a view of the situation from the inside, so thank you Jack Riggins. I don't have any special knowledge or insight to the dynamics of the team, but I believe coach Miles has felt a lot of pressure the last 2 years. When last season started there were more than few that were calling for Miles head. As last season progressed they were pretty muted but you could feel their presence and knew they were waiting to pounce with a vengeance. If what you say is true about support for the MBB team,I would hazard a guess the AD is looking at appeasing the fan base more so than putting resources into making the program successful. This season has been wasted, possibly sabotaged so the administration can remove Coach Miles. But my caution to everyone is that 9-11 of these players may not be here next year. With the advent of the NCAA's willingness to allow transfers to be immediately eligible I could see the this team gutted next year. So sad it has come to this but as the cat with the machine gun will tell you The Red Phoenix must be burned to ashes before it can rise again.

An interesting take on the situation. Not one that I believe to be the case, but since I’m not privy to Bill Moos’ thought process, I guess it’s a possibility.

Your scenario seems to put some of the behavior in a rather sinister light. Are there people who don’t like Miles? Absolutely, there were people who wished TO would fall on his face every season he coached. That’s just part of life. Will those people exaggerate any shortcomings to make a coach look as poor as possible? Sure, but that’s why we hire ADs, and we try to hire those who can evaluate the entire job performance. ADs generally don’t do things in a knee jerk fashion.

If some donors don’t like a coach, that’s life. If some fans don’t like a coach, that’s also life. But if a sizable number of donors and fans become disgruntled, that’s when the ADs pay attention. We weren’t to that point last season, and with a new football coach and newer AD, Moos didn’t have enough of an evaluation period to make that type of decision regarding Miles, especially coming off a statistically successful year.

The notion that we have somehow held back resources, I must respectfully disagree with Mr. Higgins. There will always be things a person can point to in their job that, if they had that, it would make their life better. I’m all for using resources to build onto a foundation, but the problem I see, and perhaps Moos sees, is we lack a firm foundation and program structure. Miles seems to be attracted to the next new shiny object.

I don’t mean to demean what Jack does, but Miles needs to address the structural failures or deficiencies in his program first, and then use the services of someone with Mr. Higgins abilities to move to the next level, something we saw Coach Osborne and Coach Cook do, once they created a strong program and structure...Miles is still trying to get guys to understand proper spacing.

As for losing players if we have a change, that’s a possibility, but then again, depending on who we’d hire, we could actually keep a guy or two who otherwise might have left if Miles is retained. The positive in basketball is a couple of players can be a big difference in the success of a team. We get the right coach, snag a transfer or two as a bandaid, then hit the trail and start recruiting the players you want, and we barely skip a beat.

To me, the lack of a post presence or at least some length in the post was our un-doing. It was one of those weaknesses that jumped out on paper in the pre-season but took me some time to fully accept.
I honestly can’t think of many games that Jordy would have made a big difference in. I also can’t think of many games we put our opponents in a tough position by forcing their bigs to try to keep up with a smaller, faster guy. That’s the rub, we aren’t using mismatches to our advantage. Did Roby look comfortable trying to post up and bang on the block? It’s stupid to put him in that spot.

Well I guess I have a different perspective, because MBB is both what we have seen (Best start in NU History, HIGH POTENTIAL) and struggling tremendously for awhile. Neither is hype or optimism or disaster. It is what it is. The insight I have is that "I AM the guy" they brought in to develop that player leadership and enhance the culture to be able to mitigate or avoid these type of backslides. The Fact is: Tim asked SE two years ago after a recommendations from John Cook and TO, to use my volunteer services on the topic at hand and SE wouldn't allow. Moos allowed for 3 months AUG-NOV and we/they were doing well on building chemistry and leadership. Moos pulled my support, which Tim disagreed with but had to follow and Moos gave me the "IT IS MY POLICY, we DON"T USE OUTSIDE CONSULTANTS". Which we all know is silly, and something the AD doesn't even currently do, but for some reason they didn't let TIM. So it is hard for me to judge this team, or Tim knowing he has been smart enough to know his Teams weakness and ask for help to solve them. Tim has been smart enough to want to grow his own coaching prowess, which many coaches do. (See John Cook Book "Dream Like a Champion") and that he has had to wait two years for it. When he got it, it was working and it was helping by all accounts and it was pulled. So fact is, this Team is both very good and has HIGH POTENTIAL and it is struggling tremendously, with issues it was working on when their AD pulled the support they had in place to avoid it. Add the FACT, that the in-house people haven't reached out ONCE to ask "What can we do to help", once the outside help was pushed away and that makes one wonder what is the agenda going on inside the AD with supporting or not supporting Teams. So I am not sure what Tim is suppose to do, if he can't find outside people paid or volunteer that his experience tells him his team needs and the in-house people won't go over to help or are incapable of helping. So, we all can have our opinion but Tim has had very little support in the area of LEADERSHIP development of Players and CULTURAL enhancement of the MBB Team. And when you say "Well doesn't he get paid for that?".....I will say, "John Cook uses outside people, SF does "The Program", Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St FB do, Kentucky and Villanova BB do as well....Just to name a few. The difference is they are all PAID, here in Nebraska we have tried and true people that help NU for FREE, if they let us. Lets hope they can win some coming in or yeah, I think we will be getting a new staff. It is what it is. Sad.

I bolded part of your post.

Miles is ultimately responsible for culture and leadership. He is also responsible for recruiting to meet the needs of his team as well as to compete in the Big 10 and the type of players they will face on a regular basis in the conference. He most certainly had the support and resources to recruit and hire coaches.

He's also responsible for building a roster that can go deeper than the starting 5 + 1 off the bench. He's also responsible for installing an effective offense. An effective offense requires discipline and commitment from his players. When they run an offense that looks like five 40-somethings playing a pick-up game at the rec center, there is a problem beyond culture and that is the head coach.

Regardless of how good the starting 5 is, it was a problem waiting to happen. You had a team of 5 indiviuals that play way too many minutes every game. One guy gets in foul trouble and the dynamic of the team goes down the toilet because Miles didn't recruit or develop the bench effectively. Now with one of the starting 5 out with an injury and the 'No movement "Launch-a-3" offense' with undeveloped players trying to make up for the injured, it's a pathetic display.

As far as outside consultants are concerned, perhaps last year's contract renegotiation was the writing on the wall. Perhaps Miles' fait had already been determined. Not getting into the NCAA tourney last year is one thing but to go out and get embarrassed in Round 1 of the NIT was a bit of a ball buster. Crying about how they belonged in the NCAAs and then they made a solid argument that they didn't belong in the NIT either. What would a consultant do for that scenario?

This isn't Year 1 of the Tim Miles era. No, it's Year 7 and we've seen what he is capable of producing. Nebraska deserves better. Its fans deserve better. And the university deserves a hell of a lot better representation. Top facilities and support in one of the premiere basketball conferences in the country and they're fighting for last place.

I bolded part of your post.

Miles is ultimately responsible for culture and leadership. He is also responsible for recruiting to meet the needs of his team as well as to compete in the Big 10 and the type of players they will face on a regular basis in the conference. He most certainly had the support and resources to recruit and hire coaches.

He's also responsible for building a roster that can go deeper than the starting 5 + 1 off the bench. He's also responsible for installing an effective offense. An effective offense requires discipline and commitment from his players. When they run an offense that looks like five 40-somethings playing a pick-up game at the rec center, there is a problem beyond culture and that is the head coach.

Regardless of how good the starting 5 is, it was a problem waiting to happen. You had a team of 5 indiviuals that play way too many minutes every game. One guy gets in foul trouble and the dynamic of the team goes down the toilet because Miles didn't recruit or develop the bench effectively. Now with one of the starting 5 out with an injury and the 'No movement "Launch-a-3" offense' with undeveloped players trying to make up for the injured, it's a pathetic display.

As far as outside consultants are concerned, perhaps last year's contract renegotiation was the writing on the wall. Perhaps Miles' fait had already been determined. Not getting into the NCAA tourney last year is one thing but to go out and get embarrassed in Round 1 of the NIT was a bit of a ball buster. Crying about how they belonged in the NCAAs and then they made a solid argument that they didn't belong in the NIT either. What would a consultant do for that scenario?

This isn't Year 1 of the Tim Miles era. No, it's Year 7 and we've seen what he is capable of producing. Nebraska deserves better. Its fans deserve better. And the university deserves a hell of a lot better representation. Top facilities and support in one of the premiere basketball conferences in the country and they're fighting for last place.

You make many of the points I have rattling around my head and we are in complete agreement as to what the next step is for Nebraska basketball.

I don't think this is the case at all, but if Miles is going to hang his failure on the Athletic Department not allowing him to use outside consultants, I'll call BS on that. Could it help? Sure. If it's the right outside help. Every situation is different and needs to be handled differently and where I'm at with the current situation surrounding mens basketball is that it's time to start over. Again. I don't know anything about our newest board member and his qualifications or the quality of his outside help, but his posts seem to intimate that not using his services is at least a contributing factor in the demise of the 2018 season and the pending firing. Dunno, but I have a hard time thinking Moos would pull the plug on something he thinks is beneficial to Nebraska athletics.

I still believe that what I have said all along is true. This is/was a very talented team lacking only a talented big man. It cost them last year and the teams that beat them knew how to attack and defend accordingly. This year, the conference is better, still well-coached, and everyone was on to them.

It's sad because Miles will be gone and we get to start over again. Same dear old Nebrasketball.

I still believe that what I have said all along is true. This is/was a very talented team lacking only a talented big man. It cost them last year and the teams that beat them knew how to attack and defend accordingly. This year, the conference is better, still well-coached, and everyone was on to them.

It's sad because Miles will be gone and we get to start over again. Same dear old Nebrasketball.

A talented big man would help, but the lack of a bench has really hurt this team. Having 2-3 roll players off the bench was needed. Nana could have been one of them, but either he didn't step up and take the roll or Miles didn't trust him. This would be a great team if Morrow and Jacobson would have stayed and played. Two big bodies to bang in the middle. Not true big men but they would do. I think both saw their rolls diminishing with the addition of Copeland and Palmer and didn't want to take that secondary roll. Or I am completely wrong and they just didn't like Tim Miles.

This is all just speculation.

Nebraska has everything in place to have a solid basketball program except the 2 most important things. They have no tradition whatsoever and not even an average recruiting base. I mean even Iowa produces 5-6 D1 players every year. It is a good year if Nebraska produces 2. If those 2 recruits are really good they don't go to Nebraska anyway, and I don't blame them.

I know there is a third thing they lack, and that is a good coach, but the third thing is just a reflection of the first 2 things they lack.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back