• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you trust the development with this staff? We are going to find out!

I realize it's the offseason and no topic is offlimits - at least yours is about football and not some of the other goofy stuff we see and I do give you credit for that...but, you are averaging subjective ratings and attempting to make objective comparisons. The end result is GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Einstein once said "not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

If anything, I agree with the premise that you may be working up to - Scott and company may do a better job developing players (and coaching, and gameplanning, and playcalling) than other recent staffs. We'll see. Early indications are that they will - and I'm definitely with you on that. We just got to that conclusion different ways - I got there by the eyeball method and spiked koolaid - you got there through complex manipulation of statistical chopped salad. It's all good.

:Huskerflag:
Lol this is true... I have never been a big ratings guy anyway. There's way too many variables they can't measure (just look at how many four stars we have that fizzle out).

You are pretty much spot on with what I was trying to get at, I just have a terrible mind at getting to what I want to convey sometimes. My other point I was hoping someone to lead me to (which i'll just say you did), is people were giddy towards the end of the recruiting cycle "that we are going after all 4 stars" and "we aren't filling the class with guys that only have offers from Alabama-Birmingham like Bo did." If you actually look at it, we took a bunch of kids EARLY that are like that such as Nelson, Snodgrass, Anderson, Farmer, etc. If those were second signing day guys (minus the Nebraska kids) people are probably saying "should we really be going after them" or "maybe we should hold some scholarships back for walk-ons or next year." I think the difference is that we IDENTIFIED these kids early as wants. Anderson while having low offers, could be a stud in the future just looking at some things.

I am excited to see how this OL class and guys like Banks on the defensive side turn out. Our skill guys are going to be fine.

All I know is with Wisconsin I used to look up their recruiting rankings for their OL (which were putrid) and show them dominating us (I believe it was to show recruiting rankings aren't the end all). To your point, them and Iowa were taking guys that came there as QBs and turning them into OTs (real life example) and dominating people. With how Frost and company like to pull everyone along the line, i'm thinking this uptick in athleticism may pay dividends down the road even tho these guys weren't off the charts in high school.

That's my hopeful thinking anyway.
I'm with you.

Hasn't Wisconsin actually improved their star ranking for OL over time? (I know they signed a legit 5 star this year). So while they used to do it the old fashioned way of S&C and coaching, they might actually be starting off in a better place now with legit talent walking through the door.

That's what having a solid reputation along the lines of – all of our good OL players get drafted – will do for you.
Found it....

Wisconsin's starting OL and Rivals Rating:

LT: Van Lanen 5.8 four star
LG: Deiter 5.5 three star
C: Biadasz 5.6 three star
RG: Benzschawel 5.5 three star
RT: Edwards 5.6 three star

In the 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 recruiting classes, they pulled in 7 OL that were 5.7 or better, only one of them starts.

I was doing my write-up for the signing class and caught something pretty glaring while doing my research. I looked back at the past 10 classes signed by Nebraska and who their OL recruits are and their average 247 composite rating for the class. Anything jump out at you?

2014 - .8955 (3)
2016 - .8948 (4)
2011 - .8883 (5)
2015 - .8826 (3)
2010 - .8803 (4)
2012 - .8753 (2)
2019 - .8709 (4)
2017 - .8594 (4)
2018 - .8581 (1)
2013 - .8513 (5)

I was floored to only see one class in the last decade be worse than our 2017, 2018, and 2019 offensive line class. Want further proof that Frost believes in Duval and their S&C department as well as their coaches ability to develop? Look no further than this 2019 class, where if it wasn't for Benhart, it would be ranked dead last in terms of OL talent according to 247 sports composite compared to the other 9 classes the past decade (with him it's still in the bottom 50%). Frost and his staff went after length and trust that if they get athletic frames into the Husker Power program, they can build a powerhouse. With Frost and the offense coupled with our strong walk-on program and the S&C program, this could get real fun to track.

Now, the glass is half full that ruins this entire thread is if Bland signs, the 2019 class jumps way up. Also, From the 2nd best class the last decade in 2016 you still have Raridon, Farniok and Wilson here, 2 of which are starters. The 2014 class is about as good as it gets, with Farmer, Gates, and Foster being a part of it (not sure why I put that, just thought it was interesting).

I can't wait to see what we turn these guys into. Feel free to point to this case study if we start having a dominant OL in the next couple years and what we may be able to do in spots like RB, QB, ILB, where we are getting guys with even higher floors like Wandale Robinson, Jackson Hannah, and Nick Henrich.

*note - guys like Cam Jurgens (who moved to OL from another position) or Willie Canty (who didn't make it) were not counted
Good research. But in response to the bolded and the low ranking of our 2017-19 classes, I think we'll have to wait to see how they turn out and how the team does next season and beyond. I'd really like to see some stats on our OL and DL from their winter conditioning.

Lol this is true... I have never been a big ratings guy anyway. There's way too many variables they can't measure (just look at how many four stars we have that fizzle out).

You are pretty much spot on with what I was trying to get at, I just have a terrible mind at getting to what I want to convey sometimes. My other point I was hoping someone to lead me to (which i'll just say you did), is people were giddy towards the end of the recruiting cycle "that we are going after all 4 stars" and "we aren't filling the class with guys that only have offers from Alabama-Birmingham like Bo did." If you actually look at it, we took a bunch of kids EARLY that are like that such as Nelson, Snodgrass, Anderson, Farmer, etc. If those were second signing day guys (minus the Nebraska kids) people are probably saying "should we really be going after them" or "maybe we should hold some scholarships back for walk-ons or next year." I think the difference is that we IDENTIFIED these kids early as wants. Anderson while having low offers, could be a stud in the future just looking at some things.

I am excited to see how this OL class and guys like Banks on the defensive side turn out. Our skill guys are going to be fine.

I will repeat - IT'S ALL GOOD!!! :nod:

Something tells me that we will never again have major weaknesses in skill guys at Nebraska. Man, if you look at who these coaches have brought in already, it's very impressive. Hoping Mills turns into the banger that most think we need (and I sure as heck enjoy), he will have complimenting players all around. The QB recruiting is off the charts so far...though Scott did say that having Mariotta at Oregon did cause them to take a hit for a couple years in recruiting high end QB's.

I'm glad you chose to focus the microscope on the O-Line in this thread as well. These guys don't get nearly the media attention of the skill guys, yet are arguably more important play in, play out. I can't wait to see what Austin and company (including Duvall) can do with this current crop.

And I hope you are spot on in your observation that we are taking "under-ranked" OL and turning them into beasts. Nothing would make me happier than seeing a modern-day "pipeline" emerge before my eyes. It's so stinking exciting to potentially be in on the ground floor of improvements that I can really, really appreciate how difficult it is to make.

Last edited:
I was doing my write-up for the signing class and caught something pretty glaring while doing my research. I looked back at the past 10 classes signed by Nebraska and who their OL recruits are and their average 247 composite rating for the class. Anything jump out at you?

2014 - .8955 (3)
2016 - .8948 (4)
2011 - .8883 (5)
2015 - .8826 (3)
2010 - .8803 (4)
2012 - .8753 (2)
2019 - .8709 (4)
2017 - .8594 (4)
2018 - .8581 (1)
2013 - .8513 (5)

I was floored to only see one class in the last decade be worse than our 2017, 2018, and 2019 offensive line class. Want further proof that Frost believes in Duval and their S&C department as well as their coaches ability to develop? Look no further than this 2019 class, where if it wasn't for Benhart, it would be ranked dead last in terms of OL talent according to 247 sports composite compared to the other 9 classes the past decade (with him it's still in the bottom 50%). Frost and his staff went after length and trust that if they get athletic frames into the Husker Power program, they can build a powerhouse. With Frost and the offense coupled with our strong walk-on program and the S&C program, this could get real fun to track.

Now, the glass is half full that ruins this entire thread is if Bland signs, the 2019 class jumps way up. Also, From the 2nd best class the last decade in 2016 you still have Raridon, Farniok and Wilson here, 2 of which are starters. The 2014 class is about as good as it gets, with Farmer, Gates, and Foster being a part of it (not sure why I put that, just thought it was interesting).

I can't wait to see what we turn these guys into. Feel free to point to this case study if we start having a dominant OL in the next couple years and what we may be able to do in spots like RB, QB, ILB, where we are getting guys with even higher floors like Wandale Robinson, Jackson Hannah, and Nick Henrich.

*note - guys like Cam Jurgens (who moved to OL from another position) or Willie Canty (who didn't make it) were not counted

Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine, you need to start drinking again I like you much better.

All I know is with Wisconsin I used to look up their recruiting rankings for their OL (which were putrid) and show them dominating us (I believe it was to show recruiting rankings aren't the end all). To your point, them and Iowa were taking guys that came there as QBs and turning them into OTs (real life example) and dominating people. With how Frost and company like to pull everyone along the line, i'm thinking this uptick in athleticism may pay dividends down the road even tho these guys weren't off the charts in high school.

That's my hopeful thinking anyway.
For several years now the Huskers have had the top rated recruiting classes in the Big Ten West and for several years Wisconsin and Iowa have beat us like a cheap drum with mediocre recruiting and powerful player development. I am anxious to see what Frost and staff can do with better athletes on-hand when combined with better player development.

As a side note, I thought our O-line showed some improvement last year as the season rolled on.

In regards your (***'s) thread title/question, "Do you trust the development with this staff?" Yes, I do.

I know that the sample size is small/short, but seeing the difference (development) in players like Ziggy, Farmer, Jackson and Barry encourages me.

At the very least, Frost and company seemed to demonstrate the ability to effectively motivate players (both physically and mentally) in the short time they have had to work with them.

I totally agree with you ***... it really is going to be fun to watch the development of players that Frost & Co. have for more than just one year!

Last edited:

I know I do this with just about everything, but I have to see it.

The early results from the second half of last year are absolutely encouraging, but that's not really a 'body of work' to judge. In all honesty I think this topic can be revisited in 2020 and beyond and we'll all have a better read on how good the staff really is.

I have a ton of hope that they're everything we want and need to return to national prominence.

Nebraska has never seen the offense that Frost will bringing to the table.Big Ten, The BigXII, or the Big 8 offenses were NEVER as explosive as this one will be in the future. It’s a whole new ball game. Difficult to compare his offensive line to any in Husker history.

I think you meant to write your post in the future tense--since SF and Co. haven't really done what you're describing unless you were talking about the bowl game performance--oh wait, snap...I fixed it for ya.

For several years now the Huskers have had the top rated recruiting classes in the Big Ten West and for several years Wisconsin and Iowa have beat us like a cheap drum with mediocre recruiting and powerful player development. I am anxious to see what Frost and staff can do with better athletes on-hand when combined with better player development.

As a side note, I thought our O-line showed some improvement last year as the season rolled on.

Yep. Ratings, shmatings.

What's interesting is that the highest ratings occur AFTER a player has received offers from reputable programs. That tells us something right there.

Don't you know a Wiscy or Iowa has to love it when they snag a recruit who has the frame, character, and potential they need but who has not been grabbed up by the rating hype machine?

Pelini said it once, and folks thought he was being brash: "We make our own ratings at Nebraska!" (and maybe some day we will!)

Good research. But in response to the bolded and the low ranking of our 2017-19 classes, I think we'll have to wait to see how they turn out and how the team does next season and beyond. I'd really like to see some stats on our OL and DL from their winter conditioning.
Certainly gonna have to wait. I guess my point is that this staff is looking for things that other teams aren’t.

I will repeat - IT'S ALL GOOD!!! :nod:

Something tells me that we will never again have major weaknesses in skill guys at Nebraska. Man, if you look at who these coaches have brought in already, it's very impressive. Hoping Mills turns into the banger that most think we need (and I sure as heck enjoy), he will have complimenting players all around. The QB recruiting is off the charts so far...though Scott did say that having Mariotta at Oregon did cause them to take a hit for a couple years in recruiting high end QB's.

I'm glad you chose to focus the microscope on the O-Line in this thread as well. These guys don't get nearly the media attention of the skill guys, yet are arguably more important play in, play out. I can't wait to see what Austin and company (including Duvall) can do with this current crop.

And I hope you are spot on in your observation that we are taking "under-ranked" OL and turning them into beasts. Nothing would make me happier than seeing a modern-day "pipeline" emerge before my eyes. It's so stinking exciting to potentially be in on the ground floor of improvements that I can really, really appreciate how difficult it is to make.
I was so fascinated when I researched this. Benhart the outlier, for the most part we are taking guys that are so much different than what other teams look for. Guys like Anderson weren’t dominant for a couple years, Fritzsche didn’t play OT til half way thru his senior year. IF these guys develop the way we hope they do, it’s going to be real fun to watch.

I was so fascinated when I researched this. Benhart the outlier, for the most part we are taking guys that are so much different than what other teams look for. Guys like Anderson weren’t dominant for a couple years, Fritzsche didn’t play OT til half way thru his senior year. IF these guys develop the way we hope they do, it’s going to be real fun to watch.

And I absolutely love this approach. If it works, it shows that there is a sustainable pool of guys each year who are out of most teams’ vision...just waiting to be picked and developed by the right group of coaches.

And I absolutely love this approach. If it works, it shows that there is a sustainable pool of guys each year who are out of most teams’ vision...just waiting to be picked and developed by the right group of coaches.
Also fascinating that we are just instantly giving the benefit of the doubt to this staff. I’ll take it tho.

We are basically opposite of Cav/Riley and Pelini/Garrison who pulled in highly touted OL classes.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back