• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Steven Parker - DE/OLB

What do you change to with CB challenges?
A 5-4-2 defense
How about the 5-6 Hulk Smash defense?
Didn't you guys watch the Super Bowl? Belichick unveiled the answer to our dilemma: the 6-1-4 defense:
giphy.gif

Of course, that would introduce our new dilemma of finding a Chung and a Van Noy to play at either end of the new D-line.

Last edited:
Didn't you guys watch the Super Bowl? Belichick unveiled the answer to our dilemma: the 6-1-4 defense:
giphy.gif

Of course, that would introduce our new dilemma of finding a Chung and a Van Noy to play at either end of the new D-line.
I didn't notice that. That was the very same defense I had my high school team run on obvious passing downs years ago. On run downs we played a 6-2-3 and our goal line defense was an 8-3. Our ends were in a two-point stand up and our down linemen lined up in a gap and came hard on the snap. We played in a run-oriented conference and our linemen were undersized but quick.

I didn't notice that. That was the very same defense I had my high school team run on obvious passing downs years ago. On run downs we played a 6-2-3 and our goal line defense was an 8-3. Our ends were in a two-point stand up and our down linemen lined up in a gap and came hard on the snap. We played in a run-oriented conference and our linemen were undersized but quick.
I sincerely would love to sit down with Belichick over a few beers and discuss how their gameplan developed. As much as I'm curious about the nuts and bolts of it, I think that I'm even more curious about how they brainstormed the ideas and worked it all together into a cohesive plan. There have got to be some top-notch assistants and quality control/scouting guys that Belichick listens to because I just can't believe that it's possible for him to have come up with all of this on his own in only 2 weeks of prep time (since they couldn't have known that the Rams would beat the Saints). Maybe I'd be disappointed to know the truth, but I have this image of the Patriots' headquarters having a vault of gameplans for all of their what/if scenarios similar to the Pentagon, who has often been said to have a logistical plan for the invasion of Canada, just in case.

If behind-the-scenes underlings broke down the film and brainstormed these sorts of ideas, it is a testimony to Belichick and the Patriots organization that they are that good at using the tools and the talents at their organization's disposal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back