• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

Unfortunately I was going to use him as an example of underdeveloped. That aggressiveness and lack of taking the shot also frustrates me because part way through his second season as a starter he still lacks the instinct to take over a game when it needs to be done. Miles just hasn't developed him to that point. I think the flashes of attacking the hoop that you are talking about are there but that's just it......flashes..... and then he backs up into a secondary roll again.

You can't make someone what they are not. It is a personality thing. Roby just isn't super aggressive. To think that Miles hasn't worked on him being a more assertive ball player is silly. If it was true than he is the worst D1 Bball coach in America.

Patino would be a bad idea. He is dirty, he just finally really got nailed for it.

I have no idea who the best choice for the next coach is. Nebraska has went the mid major up and comer route all the way back to Danny Nee. None have had sustained success. How bout a top assistant at a top program. Who is Izzo's top assistant? Who is Bielin's top assistant? Who is Self's top assistant? They have to try something different.

Pitino would put us in the position of yearly anal probes by the NCAA, and scrutiny from every person hoping to break the ‘next big scandal’. Not to mention he’d never even look at local talent that wasn’t freakish, once a decade material.

If you go with an assistant, you have to accept they need time to build the brand, polish the model of the program, and get enough recognition to bring in the talent to run their system. That means it’s a learning curve, so stop talking about the dance for 3-5 years.

If you go HC looking for upgrade in conference and facilities, remember to keep it real. We don’t have a recruiting hotbed, we don’t have a history of success, we are playing in a deep conference and even though there is support, it’s #3 at best in the eyes of the fans. Not every coach in that situation is going to think of Nebraska as their top choice, so we may swing and miss on our first couple of efforts. We can’t give the impression we are settling, and again, we need some patience to allow that coach to adapt, grow and recruit.

What all of this means in my opinion, is we need to determine what candidates will give us the greatest level of patience from the fans. To me, there are probably 5-6 guys I think can be successful, but not all would get the same level of patience. Just something to consider.

Pitino would put us in the position of yearly anal probes by the NCAA, and scrutiny from every person hoping to break the ‘next big scandal’. Not to mention he’d never even look at local talent that wasn’t freakish, once a decade material.

If you go with an assistant, you have to accept they need time to build the brand, polish the model of the program, and get enough recognition to bring in the talent to run their system. That means it’s a learning curve, so stop talking about the dance for 3-5 years.

If you go HC looking for upgrade in conference and facilities, remember to keep it real. We don’t have a recruiting hotbed, we don’t have a history of success, we are playing in a deep conference and even though there is support, it’s #3 at best in the eyes of the fans. Not every coach in that situation is going to think of Nebraska as their top choice, so we may swing and miss on our first couple of efforts. We can’t give the impression we are settling, and again, we need some patience to allow that coach to adapt, grow and recruit.

What all of this means in my opinion, is we need to determine what candidates will give us the greatest level of patience from the fans. To me, there are probably 5-6 guys I think can be successful, but not all would get the same level of patience. Just something to consider.

and who are those 5-6 guys? I myself am very patient. Nebraska has great facilities and support right now, but they don't have the historical tradition nor do they have the recruiting base. The only team in the B1G with as bad a basketball tradition as Nebraska is probably Penn St., and they have a better recruiting base. Those two things I think are much more important than facilities. Allen Field house is a barn. Cameron is a cracker box. It doesn't matter.

Last edited:
and who are those 5-6 guys?

Beyond the obvious of Hoiberg, Altman, Lue, Oats, Marshall, I’d toss out some names like Dawkins, Sanchez at Virginia, maybe Dane Fyfe at MSU, and I think that’s just scratching the surface.

Danny Manning?

He was a favorite of mine when he was at Tulsa, but he has really struggled at WF, and honestly, I’m not thrilled with what I see on the court from a structure standpoint.

I didn’t include Musselman in the group because I’m sure he’s NBA bound, if not, he’s going to somewhere that is willing to pay stupid money.

Beyond the obvious of Hoiberg, Altman, Lue, Oats, Marshall, I’d toss out some names like Dawkins, Sanchez at Virginia, maybe Dane Fyfe at MSU, and I think that’s just scratching the surface.

Big fan of Ron Sanchez, he’s HC at Charlotte now. Not sure about the fit but he can recruit and coach I think.

I think Moos will pursue Howland for a few reasons.

Big fan of Ron Sanchez, he’s HC at Charlotte now. Not sure about the fit but he can recruit and coach I think.

I think Moos will pursue Howland for a few reasons.
I’d forgotten he’d taken the Niners job, that’s not what he’s meant for. The thing with him is he’s been in programs in 3 P5 conferences, including the B1G. He’s also had experience in the international game, which is much more about passing and shooting, as well as being physically tough.

I’d forgotten he’d taken the Niners job, that’s not what he’s meant for. The thing with him is he’s been in programs in 3 P5 conferences, including the B1G. He’s also had experience in the international game, which is much more about passing and shooting, as well as being physically tough.

Totally. I mentioned him a while back. He was such a good recruiter at Virginia. He would be one of my top picks.

My first reaction is that he's nearing the end of his career but, then again, Rick Barnes took the Tennessee job at about the same age. I'd be fine with Howland.

I’d want someone a little younger with a little more fire. Dude’s resume is legit though, he can coach. I think there’s a connection already between him and Moos, I could see Moos making a run at him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back