• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #21, (L, 62-51), Tue, 1/29 vs Wisconsin, (#11) (14-6) (6-3), @ PBA, 7:00pm CT, BTN

I disagree. Until the end of the game, we had a lot of open looks, but we can't hit the broad side of a barn. UW has some excellent shooters. Whenever they needed a 3, they got it. We can't hit layups.
i want to address this, not because you are wrong, but i want to offer a glimpse into WHY. cause i think a lot of fans watch the game and for most it comes down to, like you said, well the team can't shoot. the team can't hit the broadside of a barn so we lose...but the question is why? Why, in this era of Tim Miles bball, why can't the team hit the broadside of a barn? i'll tell you why. :)

while its true that some teams just have guys who are BETTER shooters then others, at this level of bball its more about shot "expectation."

For example, NaNa can shoot. but he can't hit anything in a game lately. he has no expectation of shooting in a game, nor does he have any expectation on WHEN he'll get the shot that he likes and is comfortable shooting. that has very little to do with NaNa, and everything to do with the playground that Tim Miles has constructed. when a bball team is consistently taking shots they aren't anticipating, thats when you get held to 27%.

Wisconsin's shooters performed better because they are taking shots they expect to take. they are taking shots that come in system. system in bball can mean a bazillion different things but if you put a shooter on the OPPOSITE side of Ethan Happe, you can darn well EXPECT to get an open 3, cause you can EXPECT the team you are playing (in this case, dear ol' NU) to drop down and double ethan happe. when that double comes, Happe is coached to look opposite. He EXPECTS the double, He knows his teammate is spotting up on the skip side, he skips a pass, the shooter EXPECTS the ball to come his way, and he EXPECTS to get the shot he likes. I'll take the odds of that system shot over a Palmer step back 3 any day. Good basketball is about predicting future events, super fast, in a vacuum, and giving yourself better odds by placing players in a system that prepares them for what to expect.

i've watched Miles for 7 years now and i have NO idea what to expect. If the ball goes down to Roby on the block, should I expect to see T.Allen spotting up for an open 3 on the skip side? Nope. If Palmer is driving to the basket and drawing 2 defenders, should I expect him to pass to the next open man for a wide open layup? No I should not.

there is no system. no rhyme or reason to anything that NU does on offense. Not 1 thing becomes the basis for setting up another thing. its all just random. i've used the term Random to describe Miles offense for years and I'm starting to believe that his system, or philosophy, is creating a system that has no pattern. like maybe he believes that if his offense is encrypted, that it will never be cracked, and no one will be able to PREDICT. i used the term predict earlier. it can work against you if the defense can predict what you're gonna do but thats all part of bball strategy. but as we all know, the really good teams execute at a level where even if you know whats coming, good luck stopping it. thats called a belief in your system. its no different in football. sometimes its fun when the defense knows whats coming and they still can't stop it. thats when you mentally break the other team down, and once you've done that, its game over. thats just sports in general.

Last edited:
Well talk to you guys later
by the way I'll be 81 on Thursday!!

Happy early Birthday cBob!!!
blowing-birthday-candles.gif

Last edited:

i want to address this, not because you are wrong, but i want to offer a glimpse into WHY. cause i think a lot of fans watch the game and for most it comes down to, like you said, well the team can't shoot. the team can't hit the broadside of a barn so we lose...but the question is why? Why, in this era of Tim Miles bball, why can't the team hit the broadside of a barn? i'll tell you why. :)

while its true that some teams just have guys who are BETTER shooters then others, at this level of bball its more about shot "expectation."

For example, NaNa can shoot. but he can't hit anything in a game lately. he has no expectation of shooting in a game, nor does he have any expectation on WHEN he'll get the shot that he likes and is comfortable shooting. that has very little to do with NaNa, and everything to do with the playground that Tim Miles has constructed. when a bball team is consistently taking shots they aren't anticipating, thats when you get held to 27%.

Wisconsin's shooters performed better because they are taking shots they expect to take. they are taking shots that come in system. system in bball can mean a bazillion different things but if you put a shooter on the OPPOSITE side of Ethan Happe, you can darn well EXPECT to get an open 3, cause you can EXPECT the team you are playing (in this case, dear ol' NU) to drop down and double ethan happe. when that double comes, Happe is coached to look opposite. He EXPECTS the double, He knows his teammate is spotting up on the skip side, he skips a pass, the shooter EXPECTS the ball to come his way, and he EXPECTS to get the shot he likes. I'll take the odds of that system shot over a Palmer step back 3 any day. Good basketball is about predicting future events, super fast, in a vacuum, and giving yourself better odds by placing players in a system that prepares them for what to expect.

i've watched Miles for 7 years now and i have NO idea what to expect. If the ball goes down to Roby on the block, should I expect to see T.Allen spotting up for an open 3 on the skip side? Nope. If Palmer is driving to the basket and drawing 2 defenders, should I expect him to pass to the next open man for a wide open layup? No I should not.

there is no system. no rhyme or reason to anything that NU does on offense. Not 1 thing becomes the basis for setting up another thing. its all just random. i've used the term Random to describe Miles offense for years and I'm starting to believe that his system, or philosophy, is creating a system that has no pattern. like maybe he believes that if his offense is encrypted, that it will never be cracked, and no one will be able to PREDICT. i used the term predict earlier. it can work against you if the defense can predict what you're gonna do but thats all part of bball strategy. but as we all know, the really good teams execute at a level where even if you know whats coming, good luck stopping it. thats called a belief in your system. its no different in football. sometimes its fun when the defense knows whats coming and they still can't stop it. thats when you mentally break the other team down, and once you've done that, its game over. thats just sports in general.
You make some good points. Well stated.

I agree with your post - well thought out. But wanted to mention this: Nana was hitting lights out early in the season in warmups. He is shooting about 10% in warmups now. I don't know why, but his confidence is gone or there's a hiccup in his shot (like Palmer at the beginning of the season not shooting at the right point of his jump). Baffling why there isn't someone working with him on it - I bet it's kind of the same thing: no one expects him to shoot so it doesn't matter if his shot is messed up.

I loved Borchardt last night: there was one rebound sequence where he shoved a Badger guard about 5 feet out of the lane with one hand and tied up Happ's arm so he couldn't jump with the other. And he got the rebound. Those fouls for him at the end were pretty unfortunate.

I can't believe I'm saying this: Thor looked like he had the best sense of the game of basketball last night. He was constantly moving (sometimes out of defensive position to be fair) and disrupting. That's the Evan Taylor role from last year that I hoped Harris or Akenten would pick up. I am worried that the guys who have been on the scout team are the ones that are being coached better, or at least have a better feel for the game.

I can't see how this team is going to be able to score enough points to win games.

Tied for 11th with hapless NW.

Northwestern's next game is home against Penn State. Good opportunity for NW to get a win.

Nebraska plays at Illinois next. While Illinois is bad -- and we beat them in Lincoln handily -- it's probably not going to be a gimme win this next go 'round. The Illini won at Maryland in their last game.

I get what you are saying and do agree with it. You still have to be able to knock down some shots even when it is out of system, or when their is no system.

There was some pretty good looks at times last night and they couldn’t buy a bucket. They just don’t shoot very well a lot of the time. I am ok if you want to put that on Miles.
With that being said, how many times in say the last 20 years has Nebraska had a consistently solid shooting team?

Nebraska always seems to have quite a few athletic players, for the most part they are way more athletic than Wisconsin. But they are not really better basketball players. Again if you want to put on Miles and a lack of development I am ok with that. I think those players show up at Wisconsin more polished than the guys Nebraska is getting.

I get what you are saying and do agree with it. You still have to be able to knock down some shots even when it is out of system, or when their is no system.

There was some pretty good looks at times last night and they couldn’t buy a bucket. They just don’t shoot very well a lot of the time. I am ok if you want to put that on Miles.
With that being said, how many times in say the last 20 years has Nebraska had a consistently solid shooting team?

Nebraska always seems to have quite a few athletic players, for the most part they are way more athletic than Wisconsin. But they are not really better basketball players. Again if you want to put on Miles and a lack of development I am ok with that. I think those players show up at Wisconsin more polished than the guys Nebraska is getting.
As far as hitting open shots, Palmer and Watson hurry their shots and don't take the extra split second to set their feet. Watson falls backwards and Palmer fades to his right. Allen and Roby get set but are reluctant to shoot. Copeland was the most consistent shooter. Can't figure Nana out, he just doesn't seem to be a good shooter.

BB is all about having a system with options and then counter attacks when the defense takes away the first options. Make them pay for "predicting" what you are trying to execute. The offense under Miles has been as many have stated, inconsistent and lacking in both fundamentals and organization. Some of that goes back to the recruits TM seems to want. He looks for athletes and shies away from less athletic players who may be very good basketball players. A team needs a good mix, which NU consistently lacks.

It almost seems that he wants to recruit to a highly athletic, press and defend frenetic offense but then tries to execute an offense designed for good shooters. Unfortunately, those players have 5* by their names and do not come to NU to play BB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back