• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What would you look for in a new coach?

What would you prefer in Nebraska's next head coach

• Total voters
I posted this in a thread on the football forum, but am curious the responses. if Tim Miles is done, what are you looking for in our next coach? I understand there's more than two answers, but what would be the most important to you and what is the most realistic?

I voted developer, because I think if you are going to recruit Nebraska you have to be able to develop those kids. You aren't getting many four stars coming from our state. And I look at Creighton, who doesn't get a ton of studs in, but develop them to their system. I think you need to get a guy every year that's a difference maker, but I think at Nebraska you have to be able to develop.

I again share the story of Okafor coming here and sitting in Miles office and stating "I had a great time, but you know I can't come here." I just think we need to develop kids as we aren't going to be getting elite players.

It feels like we won't improve the program without kids from nearby. Maybe transfers and JUCO's are more sustainable than I think, but only one or two schools out of 350 are getting a five star transfer in any year (a la Copeland). If we could recruit the local kids and improve them, then there is a base to build on - recruit the missing pieces via whatever avenue necessary.

Having said that, I don't see Erick Strickland, Andre Woolridge or Rich King in state right now. Those were outliers, but at least they came to Lincoln. Don't think they would now.

Frustrating to me: Tra'deon Hollins is looking like the best point guard in the D-league. Logan Strom just transferred to UNO, could have gotten him for a Borchardt upgrade next year. I know there are hopes that your long shot turns out every year, but sometimes you just need a solid glue guy.

So, yeah, development in a system. And having a system on offense would be nice too.

I say developer. You don't always need the 4/5 star athletes to be a winner. A good developer will find the people to fit his system and then...er...er..develop them. :Biggrin:

It feels like we won't improve the program without kids from nearby. Maybe transfers and JUCO's are more sustainable than I think, but only one or two schools out of 350 are getting a five star transfer in any year (a la Copeland). If we could recruit the local kids and improve them, then there is a base to build on - recruit the missing pieces via whatever avenue necessary.

Having said that, I don't see Erick Strickland, Andre Woolridge or Rich King in state right now. Those were outliers, but at least they came to Lincoln. Don't think they would now.

Frustrating to me: Tra'deon Hollins is looking like the best point guard in the D-league. Logan Strom just transferred to UNO, could have gotten him for a Borchardt upgrade next year. I know there are hopes that your long shot turns out every year, but sometimes you just need a solid glue guy.

So, yeah, development in a system. And having a system on offense would be nice too.
I think you can get a JUCO every year, a transfer every year, then fill the rest of your spots.

Hollins bothers the heck out of me. Throw him in with Patton, Thomas, etc., and we missed on a ton of Omaha kids while Miles chose not to recruit that city due to being burned. He even lost an assistant due to it at one point. He's remedying that now which is good. I'm not sold on Strom, but he would be an upgrade you're right over who we have playing right now. Thinking about it, the Copeland injury has us playing former walk-on Borchardt, and then true freshman Heiman in the post. I just don't get what he was doing for a while.

As you stated, we are never going to have that stud that Kansas is coming up here for to recruit, so we need to develop. But if we get the best Nebraska kid every year, get a JUCO guy like the one we have committed right now, get the right transfer in, and focus on one guy out of state that we think can help, a developmental coach can go a long ways.

I voted recruiter. You are going to have someone that can bring in NBA caliber talent. Much like Huggens(sp.?) did at KState. Most likely you aren't going to find these guys in our area. But of course you need someone to develop talent also. But you have to be able to reel in a stud once in a while

1. Development
2. Recruiting

You can always hire assistants to recruit. We haven’t had someone in Lincoln who could really develop talent for a long, long time.

That said, we still need someone who has a good recruiting vision/plan. Transfers are a must, we should be averaging 1 transfer a year here in my opinion. We live in the age of transfers and given our local talent, we need to take advantage of that. Also, we need someone with the ability to recruit nationally. Specifically, Chicago, Indy, St. Louis, Denver, Memphis, Kansas City, etc. Yeah, take the local kids if they are good enough, but I’m not looking to relive the Collier years. I think, like *** said, we could realistically pull 1 a year.

Also, there are ancillary and certain soft skills I’d look for. I’m really looking for an offensive-minded coach this time around. I want someone who has good offensive concept. Look at the way Wisconsin ran their offense last night with the inside-out and crisp passing. It got sloppy at times, but it got open shots.

I think thats too generic of a question, theres more than one way to skin a cat. A coach who excels at development might fit well here so we dont have to try and overcome our rectruitng challenges as much. A stud recruiter would be great to add to the PBA and fan base sale.
Nee was a recruiter and really got kids to come here. Had he been a better game day coach, we would have had another level we would have taken. Collier was a really good coach but couldnt recruit a lick. Salder could do a little of both but never excelled at any. I do believe if Sadler had the PBA when he was here, he would have suceeded as much as Nee. Miles cant coach, but can recruit a little.
We just need the best we can get regardless of skillset

Last edited:
Tough question.

He absolutely has to be at least "good" at both. You can get solid 3 and 4 star talent to come to nu. That's good enough to dancing. To make the tourney a regular thing and win games he needs a couple of those guys to become more than they were projected to be (development).

You aren't going to make a living off of Nebraska kids. There will be ebbs and flows in-state but the new guy must be able to recruit nationally.

I think you can get a JUCO every year, a transfer every year, then fill the rest of your spots.

Hollins bothers the heck out of me. Throw him in with Patton, Thomas, etc., and we missed on a ton of Omaha kids while Miles chose not to recruit that city due to being burned. He even lost an assistant due to it at one point. He's remedying that now which is good. I'm not sold on Strom, but he would be an upgrade you're right over who we have playing right now. Thinking about it, the Copeland injury has us playing former walk-on Borchardt, and then true freshman Heiman in the post. I just don't get what he was doing for a while.

As you stated, we are never going to have that stud that Kansas is coming up here for to recruit, so we need to develop. But if we get the best Nebraska kid every year, get a JUCO guy like the one we have committed right now, get the right transfer in, and focus on one guy out of state that we think can help, a developmental coach can go a long ways.

So I vote you as the coach. You seem to know all the inside scoop as fact.

Tough question.

He absolutely has to be at least "good" at both. You can get solid 3 and 4 star talent to come to nu. That's good enough to dancing. To make the tourney a regular thing and win games he needs a couple of those guys to become more than they were projected to be (development).

You aren't going to make a living off of Nebraska kids. There will be ebbs and flows in-state but the new guy must be able to recruit nationally.

Also has to know how to coach / manage a game.

GET TICKETS

Back