• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Pola-Mao will not be visiting before NSD

I hope you don’t see my comment as a spin, I’m just a realist. There are some defections that stun me, and make zero sense. Guys who I thought rock solid the entire way. But these guys have never given me that feeling of stability. They would likely be an excellent fit, but this whole scrambling second signing has a weird feel. It also seems you see more than a few ‘fast risers’ who go from a good player, to a crazed ‘we must have him’ guy. I think these guys feel that too, they get sudden interest from some schools that might be exciting for a kid who never considered going to Westwood, or playing with a close friend.

We have a shot at really taking a step up this year, but based on last season, we’ve kind of already done that. Sure I want more, but I’m not going to fault anyone on not being able to completely understand the mind of an 18 year old. If we put together a better year on the field, I think the second signing next year has an entirely different feel and outcome.
I certainly took Jordan being flaky, Njoku possibly moving positions, and Pola-Mao possibly being grades or following no matter what as a spin. But I get we are all looking for reasons. The only thing I know is we wanted all 3, spent multiple resources on them, and we may get blanked.

Still a chance to get 2 of 3 I suppose.

I certainly took Jordan being flaky, Njoku possibly moving positions, and Pola-Mao possibly being grades or following no matter what as a spin. But I get we are all looking for reasons. The only thing I know is we wanted all 3, spent multiple resources on them, and we may get blanked.

Still a chance to get 2 of 3 I suppose.
True, but we were also still working Parker, Houston, Starks and the other kid from GA, Bevins, and who knows who else, as well. I don’t doubt the effort, and I know we have some strong recruiters, but at this moment in time, we might not carry the ‘wow factor’ we will in another year or so. Next year we might see a guy like Jordan or Njoku losing their minds by a late Nebraska offer.

We might have ended up batting zero, but at least we were still in there swinging. The alternative is we drop to some plan C or D guys, or think of just stockpiling schollies for next ala Bo.

Looking at 247 recruiting, he isnt making any visits to his top 3.

1 CB to ASU
1 CB to NU
1 CB to USC

Last edited:

IMO this class is already at where we wanted it to be for the most part. Anything we add from this point on is just nice gravy. NPG solidified it already IMO. Be nice to get more depth in certain areas but at this point, if we ended up with what we have plus a few more fillers.........then we are good.
move on to next year, where it will be up to SF to show that he can be a great recruiter year in and year out. BP would put together a really good class now and then (see 2011 which is every bit as good as this one was on paper prior to hindsight), but coudnt sustain. Hopefully SF will

Wasn't their a person from last years class that committed site unseen and is now on the roster? Maybe this is what MPM is doing this year

You might be right, I can't remember for sure though. Willie Hampton in the 2017 class committed on March 9th but didn't visit until September 17th.

I hope you don’t see my comment as a spin, I’m just a realist. There are some defections that stun me, and make zero sense. Guys who I thought rock solid the entire way. But these guys have never given me that feeling of stability. They would likely be an excellent fit, but this whole scrambling second signing has a weird feel. It also seems you see more than a few ‘fast risers’ who go from a good player, to a crazed ‘we must have him’ guy. I think these guys feel that too, they get sudden interest from some schools that might be exciting for a kid who never considered going to Westwood, or playing with a close friend.

We have a shot at really taking a step up this year, but based on last season, we’ve kind of already done that. Sure I want more, but I’m not going to fault anyone on not being able to completely understand the mind of an 18 year old. If we put together a better year on the field, I think the second signing next year has an entirely different feel and outcome.

Good take!

I get there’s a chance that could happen. But how did we get from “we are coming up to check it out and Noa is coming with us to help” to “not visiting.”

Not saying this is what is happening, but what if the staff said "hey, we want you badly, but we need a couple other guys too...can we Blueshirt you without a visit so we can sign these other 3 guys?"

IF NU gets Houston, Bivens and Parker and then had some agreement with MPM to somehow get him, would it still be terrible that they missed on Jordan and Njoku? There is only so many spots available....they were never signing all 6 or 7 or 8 so someone had to be left out.

Not saying this is what is happening, but what if the staff said "hey, we want you badly, but we need a couple other guys too...can we Blueshirt you without a visit so we can sign these other 3 guys?"

IF NU gets Houston, Bivens and Parker and then had some agreement with MPM to somehow get him, would it still be terrible that they missed on Jordan and Njoku? There is only so many spots available....they were never signing all 6 or 7 or 8 so someone had to be left out.
I would be really concerned if we told MPM we didn't have room and then took Bivens, at least on the surface. I think Jordan and Njoku were both Plan A guys. There's a reason Houston is still available and has had programs cut ties (some say academics), and Parker is 50/50 for us and I hope we pull thru. Don't get me wrong, if Houston commits AND makes it to campus, i'm fine with that over Njoku. OLB we are relying on overcoming things with Parker, but hope like heck we get him. If we take Bivens it's just a cherry on top for me and let's me know we weren't holding any scholarships back, we have plenty of RBs committed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back