• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Pola-Mao will not be visiting before NSD

This is no bueno. Missing on Pola-Mao, Njoku, and Jordan. Ugh.

Jordan was flaky from the get go, with rumors about eligibility and interest bouncing all over, so I’m not stunned. Njoku has been discussed as someone who may not have even been able to fill the role he was being recruited for. Pola-Mao is odd, but we don’t know if he’s just following no matter what, or has grade issues we aren’t aware of, or is just not a guy who can ‘leave home’, which isn’t unheard of for Polys.

I’m not on the ledge yet, but it has been a whirlwind.

Makes zero sense to me to not take a free flight for you and your parents to verify things.

Exactly. If in-state commits like Henrich, Piper, Nelson, Snodgrass and Hickman take official visits after taking several unofficial visits and already being committed, someone like MPM would be taking one.

Jordan was flaky from the get go, with rumors about eligibility and interest bouncing all over, so I’m not stunned. Njoku has been discussed as someone who may not have even been able to fill the role he was being recruited for. Pola-Mao is odd, but we don’t know if he’s just following no matter what, or has grade issues we aren’t aware of, or is just not a guy who can ‘leave home’, which isn’t unheard of for Polys.

I’m not on the ledge yet, but it has been a whirlwind.
Certainly not on any ledge, but all of this is more negative than positive. We are spinning missing on four stars that we spent resources on as a good thing.

Last edited:

Certainly not on any ledge, but all of this is more negative than positive. We are spinning missing on four stars that we spent resources on as a good thing.

And I’m not saying you are a ledge guy by any stretch. And spending all the time and money if we whiff sucks, but we are at least swinging. I get the feeling that the second date group will have a far flakier vibe going forward.

Maybe mom and dad can’t go, it’s odd, but this group has been unique from the start.
See this is what I am talking about. There may have been a family issue that came up. So they just do not see the need.

I would still say our chances are less than 50% at this point. Just saying that with a Polynesian family who will have family in the area. It is still more than zero.

See this is what I am talking about. There may have been a family issue that came up. So they just do not see the need.

I would still say our chances are less than 50% at this point. Just saying that with a Polynesian family who will have family in the area. It is still more than zero.
I get there’s a chance that could happen. But how did we get from “we are coming up to check it out and Noa is coming with us to help” to “not visiting.”

Last edited:

@Red Reign likes to use the phrase that this recruiting business is not for the faint of heart or something akin to that.

It does seem a bit discouraging in that it looked like NU was in a good position a few days or a week ago to add another top tier asset at every level of the defense + another offensive skills player. Trying to take the cup is half full perspective is that we've landed 25 in the first signing period and added one grad transfer (Daniels) is still makes for a pretty nice haul + all the walk-ons.

If you add Parker, Houston and Bevins at February signing date, how would our recruiting experts feel about closing this class ... solid B grade or better?

I have no crystal ball on how much attrition is pending after the Spring Semester, but it seems like HCSF can finish it out w/ a few grad transfers or others from the transfer portal + a couple well-placed & deserving schollies to walk-ons that can be available again for 2020 class.

I was just commenting on the spin jobs for our misses down the stretch here. We wanted all 3 of these guys, badly.

I hope you don’t see my comment as a spin, I’m just a realist. There are some defections that stun me, and make zero sense. Guys who I thought rock solid the entire way. But these guys have never given me that feeling of stability. They would likely be an excellent fit, but this whole scrambling second signing has a weird feel. It also seems you see more than a few ‘fast risers’ who go from a good player, to a crazed ‘we must have him’ guy. I think these guys feel that too, they get sudden interest from some schools that might be exciting for a kid who never considered going to Westwood, or playing with a close friend.

We have a shot at really taking a step up this year, but based on last season, we’ve kind of already done that. Sure I want more, but I’m not going to fault anyone on not being able to completely understand the mind of an 18 year old. If we put together a better year on the field, I think the second signing next year has an entirely different feel and outcome.

I would say that’s it’s already a solid B grade based on the talent we have brought in across the board and I’m guessing it will be an even more solid B by the time we hit the Feb signing day

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back