• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Year 7: Tim Miles

I'm starting to believe Miles is a worse coach than either Doc or Barry. Maybe I should have believed that a while ago.
Strangely, Barry was at the game today. He got a polite round of applause. I think that Collier was probably a better floor coach than Miles, but in all other phases was probably inferior to Miles. Doc was a strange coach - he never seemed to have the players he wanted in his system - not that he had a bad system, just never fit. Good guy, but again not a great coach.

Last edited:
My gut feeling about Miles was that he wasn't a good enough coach to get Nebraska winning consistently. After he initially made the tournament, I thought, ok, maybe I was wrong. Then after a few more bad years, I was about ready to be done with him. Then after last year I thought, well, maybe we actually do have something here if Miles can build this momentum into a good season bringing back a team with lots of experience and some talent. Somehow, though, this team with some talent and experience has seemingly failed to realize that you have to keep the gas pedal down even when things are looking pretty good. They set themselves up nicely with a good non-conference run and then they have just faltered in so many ways. When you have two guys like Palmer and Watson who can drive to the bucket and two athletic tall guys like Roby and Copeland, there should never be a time during a game where you have 4 to 7 minute scoreless stretches. A coach should have those guys ready for those situations. Tell your drivers to get into the paint and either go with extremely bad intentions to the rack or dish off to your athletic taller guys for an easy dunk, layup, or foul. Our guys do this sometimes, but they don't do it with enough commitment, they don't do it with enough readiness to look for the open guy, and Roby and Copeland don't seem to get themselves in the best spots during those drives. They should have been taught these habits by now.

I think it’s easy to get stuck in the moment sometimes. Collier was a train wreck. He couldn’t coach or recruit for crap. His winning percentage should be worse then what it was because his non-cons were softer than Charmin. Doc got his players to sell out on defense, but his offense was way worse than Miles and he couldn’t recruit a lick. Also didn’t play anyone in non-con ever. Give me Miles over those two guys any day of the week. Still though, that’s not saying a whole lot.

Losing Smith was tough for Miles. Then he had an assistant leave due to his recruiting philosophy. Now he’s trying to change mentality and get tougher midway thru the season when things are collapsing. Not good. Hope he pulls out of it but looks bleak.

I think it’s easy to get stuck in the moment sometimes. Collier was a train wreck. He couldn’t coach or recruit for crap. His winning percentage should be worse then what it was because his non-cons were softer than Charmin. Doc got his players to sell out on defense, but his offense was way worse than Miles and he couldn’t recruit a lick. Also didn’t play anyone in non-con ever. Give me Miles over those two guys any day of the week. Still though, that’s not saying a whole lot.

Miles has gotten better talent than either Barry or Doc. Especially due to transfers, which was much less common pre-Miles. Give each coach the same set of players on gameday, and I'm not so sure that Miles wouldn't finish 3rd. Miles can only win if he has a couple of stud talents on the floor, playing an opponent that allows them to go all street ball and simply carry the team on athletic superiority.

Anyhow, it's not about being stuck in the moment. Today is simply a reminder of the vast majority of the Miles era.

It sucks. There's only two NU hoops coaches I got excited about upon hiring. Tim Miles and Danny Nee. I actually believed Miles would be better than Nee, but that's not the case. Yes, Nee had great talent. But there were several years that he got a lot more out of that talent than Miles has. Yet Nee was far from a great coach.

This season has similarities too 2014-15. All sorts of expectations -- and very valid reasons why with returning talent coming off a solid season. Only to see that team underachieve big time.

Last edited:
Miles has gotten better talent than either Barry or Doc. Especially due to transfers, which was much less common pre-Miles. Give each coach the same set of players on gameday, and I'm not so sure that Miles wouldn't finish 3rd. Miles can only win if he has a couple of stud talents on the floor, playing an opponent that allows them to go all street ball and simply carry the team on athletic superiority.

Anyhow, it's not about being stuck in the moment. Today is simply a reminder of the vast majority of the Miles era.

It sucks. There's only two NU hoops coaches I got excited about upon hiring. Tim Miles and Danny Nee. I actually believed Miles would be better than Nee, but that's not the case. Yes, Nee had great talent. But there were several years that he got a lot more out of that talent than Miles has. Yet Nee was far from a great coach.

This season is so much like 2015-16. All sorts of expectations -- and very valid reasons why with returning talent. Only to see that team underachieve big time.

Recruiting is the most important thing a college basketball head coach does. Yeah, Doc was a better X’s and O’s guy but it really doesn’t matter since he didn’t have good players. I’m not convinced that Barry Collier was good at anything. His success at Butler was 100% due to Lickliter and Matta being in his bench. That’s just my opinion though. I agree with your assessment about Miles relying on athleticism rather than skill though.

It’s going to be a rough 6 weeks or so then hopefully our program can find the right guy. We’ll see.

Does copeland being out give Miles a good excuse and buy another year?

I don't see how nu recovers from his loss.

Does copeland being out give Miles a good excuse and buy another year?

I don't see how nu recovers from his loss.

They were sinking fast before Copeland got hurt today. When the head coach suggests that his team is soft and the team basically agrees with him then goes out and plays soft again it points to a systemic problem. There's really only one way to fix that.....

For Miles, the unfortunate thing is Moos was hoping for a no tourney birth in my opinion.

That is an interesting thought. I was thinking at the beginning of the that this may be the best chance we have had in a very long time to get a win in the tourney but at the same time I was thinking that Miles really doesn’t look like the answer past this year. Unfortunately it looks like the second part is manifesting itself early than I thought it would.

I'm not sure at this point even getting into the tourney should be enough. Unless it comes with some type of win streak that moves us into the upper 4-5 of the B1G. Yes we could win enough to get to .500 and possibly get in because of our NET ranking but the bottom line is anyone can look at the performance of this team and see it has vastly under performed. With our facilities, fan bas, and financial commitment we should be able to find a coach that can get a lot more out of his players than he does. If he couldn't do it this year...…..when would it ever be? We need a coach who can match the facility and fans that we have.

Strangely, Barry was at the game today. He got a polite round of applause. I think that Collier was probably a better floor coach than Miles, but in all other phases was probably inferior to Miles. Doc was a strange coach - he never seemed to have the players he wanted in his system - not that he had a bad system, just never fit. Good guy, but again not a great coach.

Did you see Doc's team scored over 100 yesterday? Wonder if he changed his system.

I'm starting to believe Miles is a worse coach than either Doc or Barry. Maybe I should have believed that a while ago.

I was pretty excited when Miles signed after his turnaround of the Colorado State program, but have been patiently waiting for success since. This was supposed to be the year and looked promising early on. Now barring a miracle finish, he's got to go. Maybe I should have been in the same place as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back