• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DT Darrion Daniels

Sorry, wish you weren't so easily offended. I was simply asking if there was a peer reviewed study that concluded it was impossible. I can certainly see where someone who has been working out regularly isn't going to make those massive strides and i'm not doubting the numbers were inflated.

So, following your advice, i used the "google machine" and typed in "how much muscle mass can be gained in 6 months. The Alan Aragon Model gave an example of a 150 pound beginner gaining up to 2.25 pounds per month, or maybe 27 pounds in a year. So, not 30 and not in the time frame, but also figures which are considered to be within expected averages. Thus, while no doubt extremely rare, it could be possible for someone to gain that amount.....though certainly not an NU football athlete.

So again, no doubt the numbers expressed weren't legit and maybe that is what you were referring to, this specific situation. I didn't get google to pop up a peer reviewed study on the possibility, although the many muscle building articles from magazines, etc indicate it is highly unlikely it can be done.

And i typed this response before i saw your edited post.

Thanks ***.

Why will we look so different in 2019 if, as you say, there’s only so much muscle you can put on between Jan and August?

Will 2018 to 2019 somehow be a bigger leap forward than 2017 to 2019?
Because it's year two. They aren't starting from the basement and building the entire house. The basement and foundation (muscle mass, strength etc.) have been built. Now we're building the rest of the house.

Think of it this way: if player "A" could squat 500 lbs when Duvall got here and could squat 600 lbs by the beginning of the season, this offseason that player's baseline is now 600 lbs not 500 lbs. So any gains he makes means he's that much stronger than last season which was already an improvement over previous seasons.

Clear as mud?

I guess I just don't remember any of the coaches claiming that players gained 30 lbs of muscle. They did report that guys gained a lot of weight and looked better...see the article below, which also noted that weight loss from fall camp was expected. I remember a few reports of muscle gain, but don't recall any of 30 lbs that coaches reported...but perhaps they did lie to us about a player, I just don't recall it and couldn't find it using the google machine. Maybe someone can share the link?

Both coaches and players re-iterated that back squats weren't done regularly...I trust that they weren't lying as it was well known that the previous staff preferred the less effective front squat technique. Anyway, it's great to have a true professional in charge rather than a rookie.

--------------------------------------------------------

Lots of "weight" gain reported here...no report of muscle gain:
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_62056cfa-34f7-526e-9722-0ade260789af.html

Frost said NU’s biggest falloff, over many years, was in strength and conditioning.

“Guys just don’t look like they should,” Frost said. “And we’re starting to get there. You see the changes in these guys in two cycles, it’s a big deal. They’ve really changed their bodies and look great.”

Not in this article either:
https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ditioning-gains-in-the-weight-room-116368727/

A player (Peyton Newell) claims 23 lbs of muscle:
https://huskercorner.com/2018/04/09/nebraska-football-strength-conditioning/

No wild claims by the staff here:
http://www.klin.com/2018/03/15/huskers-gain-muscle-wealth-of-knowledge-from-strength-coach-duval/

Last edited:

I guess I just don't remember any of the coaches claiming that players gained 30 lbs of muscle. They did report that guys gained a lot of weight and looked better...see the article below, which also noted that weight loss from fall camp was expected. I remember a few reports of muscle gain, but don't recall any of 30 lbs that coaches reported...but perhaps they did lie to us about a player, I just don't recall it and couldn't find it using the google machine. Maybe someone can share the link?

Both coaches and players re-iterated that back squats weren't done regularly...I trust that they weren't lying as it was well known that the previous staff preferred the less effective front squat technique. Anyway, it's great to have a true professional in charge rather than a rookie.

--------------------------------------------------------

Lots of "weight" gain reported here...no report of muscle gain:
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_62056cfa-34f7-526e-9722-0ade260789af.html

Not in this article either:
https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ditioning-gains-in-the-weight-room-116368727/

A player (Peyton Newell) claims 23 lbs of muscle:
https://huskercorner.com/2018/04/09/nebraska-football-strength-conditioning/

No wild claims by the staff here:
http://www.klin.com/2018/03/15/huskSo mers-gain-muscle-wealth-of-knowledge-from-strength-coach-duval/
So maybe Peyton had 10 lbs of muscle and 13 pounds of cheetos that he is claiming as muscle. :p

Sorry, wish you weren't so easily offended. I was simply asking if there was a peer reviewed study that concluded it was impossible. I can certainly see where someone who has been working out regularly isn't going to make those massive strides and i'm not doubting the numbers were inflated.

So, following your advice, i used the "google machine" and typed in "how much muscle mass can be gained in 6 months. The Alan Aragon Model gave an example of a 150 pound beginner gaining up to 2.25 pounds per month, or maybe 27 pounds in a year. So, not 30 and not in the time frame, but also figures which are considered to be within expected averages. Thus, while no doubt extremely rare, it could be possible for someone to gain that amount.....though certainly not an NU football athlete.

So again, no doubt the numbers expressed weren't legit and maybe that is what you were referring to, this specific situation. I didn't get google to pop up a peer reviewed study on the possibility, although the many muscle building articles from magazines, etc indicate it is highly unlikely it can be done.

And i typed this response before i saw your edited post.
Only thing that offends me is lack of using the "quote" feature on here. It's scientifically proven by multiple peer reviewed studies that someone who has been working out can't add 30 pounds of muscle in 6 months.

So maybe Peyton had 10 lbs of muscle and 13 pounds of cheetos that he is claiming as muscle. :p
That's my thing. We literally have coaches quoting in public forums that you can still see "gained x pounds of lean muscle" and quoting a number that is scientifically impossible. But it definitely got the marketing machine going which I can't fault them for. Now, the kids can gain 20-30 pounds, I got plenty of friends that do that. But not solely lean muscle like our coach claims.

Thanks ***.

Why will we look so different in 2019 if, as you say, there’s only so much muscle you can put on between Jan and August?

Will 2018 to 2019 somehow be a bigger leap forward than 2017 to 2019?
By 2019 fall camp, we will be 18 months in for this weight program. This program is really good at building muscle, and Frost and his coaches are not letting the kids skip days or get out of them. Again, everyone pulling in the same direction. Go back to when Mark Philipp had our guys, he actually put them thru our circuit workout and was basically told to cut it out by coaches and administration. If for no other reason, our kids being held accountable for a workout program will get us looking that much better. But this program we have is great at sculpting bodies too.

Husker fans will be pleased.

Not sure if this is a serious response. There's literally a machine called google where you can type in "how much muscle can you gain in a month" that will spit out the answer for you. You can put on that much weight, but not that much muscle.

"Well, I'm here to break it to you easy: It's virtually impossible for somebody who's been training regularly to gain 30-40 pounds of muscle in a couple of months or even a year. The only person with the ability to potentially gain 18-20 pounds of muscle in a year is a gym newbie—someone who's never lifted weights or trained before."

And that’s what every scientific article will tell you, the same as this quote that isn’t scientific. So we are either recruiting people that have never trained for football or lifted before, or it’s not possible. Since I’m of the opinion people like Raridon, Davis twins, etc., have played football and trained before, I have my answer.
So ... what I hear you saying is that we should recruit more people who have never worked out before so that we can get more impressive gains in muscle mass?

:Sarcastic:

Just a headscratcher to me how the last two regimes didn't fully take advantage of what our program can offer! I don't know how BC was on this, but not using the facilities to their fullest capabilities is just nuts!!

Last edited:

So ... what I hear you saying is that we should recruit more people who have never worked out before so that we can get more impressive gains in muscle mass?

:Sarcastic:
Lol. Well played. It’s more a pet peeve of mine to hear a staff member publicly quote a scientifically impossible muscle mass gain, also a pet peeve to hear them say we didn’t squat before. Those don’t really bother me as I know both aren’t true and I go on with my day. I’ll take the four star that’s played before tho rather than the alternative.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back