• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bunchie

If McCaffery does RS we better hope and pray AM doesn't go down in 2019. Neither one of the current backups is good enough to win our division imo. We just saw a TRUE freshman lead a team to a NC! Yea he's exceptional but if he was red shirting this season we'd never know about him? If McCaffery is the back up in 2020 he still will have very limited playing time. Perhaps 4 games assuming we have some blowouts and he's allowed to play instead of the designated backups?

We've seen some exceptional true freshman QB's the last 10 years including our own AM....
Luke is not Tua or Lawrence. He needs work and physical development. Unless you are Alabama or Clemson, if you lose your QB1, there will always be a drop off. I wouldn't expect to win anything if AM goes down next year. It will take some time to produce the depth we need at the position.

Maybe someone asked this already but if Bunch transfers, either to a another FBS team or a lower level, since he is not a scholarship athlete does he have to sit out a year?
I don't think he has to sit out, certainly not at a lower level (NDSU would like another Nebraska QB, perhaps?). If the rule says that he should sit out (esp after starting a Div 1 game) this is the place that the waiver should be enacted to allow him to play immediately.

I don't think he has to sit out, certainly not at a lower level (NDSU would like another Nebraska QB, perhaps?). If the rule says that he should sit out (esp after starting a Div 1 game) this is the place that the waiver should be enacted to allow him to play immediately.
Rules are the same scholarship or not. Transfer down and you can play immediately.

Luke is not Tua or Lawrence. He needs work and physical development. Unless you are Alabama or Clemson, if you lose your QB1, there will always be a drop off. I wouldn't expect to win anything if AM goes down next year. It will take some time to produce the depth we need at the position.
He doesn't need to be as good as Lawrence or Tua to lead the team if AM goes down. He just needs to be better then our existing backups. Also how do we know how good he could be until we see him play? Is it unreasonable to think he could be better then either Bunch or Vedral quickly? He's 6'2" and could easy be 200 lbs+ before the start of next season. There have been plenty of excellent freshman QB's however we won't know if ours isn't given the opportunity to play. I'm hoping he'll AT LEAST get to play in 4 games next season.......

IMHO Luke will not redshirt. He will be the #3 QB and will split time at WR with Warner. I know that nobody besides me is saying it. So let me be the first.

He doesn't need to be as good as Lawrence or Tua to lead the team if AM goes down. He just needs to be better then our existing backups. Also how do we know how good he could be until we see him play? Is it unreasonable to think he could be better then either Bunch or Vedral quickly? He's 6'2" and could easy be 200 lbs+ before the start of next season. There have been plenty of excellent freshman QB's however we won't know if ours isn't given the opportunity to play. I'm hoping he'll AT LEAST get to play in 4 games next season.......
That's the thing...Next year, I don't think he can be any higher than #3 based solely on his overall lack of experience at the position. Only playing one year at the position does not set himself up well to compete against B1G teams. I think he'll get some playing time, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake if we didn't redshirt him.

I think Coach V. understands he is a high ceiling project and even Luke himself has said that he will most likely redshirt as it is in his best interest.

Last edited:
IMHO Luke will not redshirt. He will be the #3 QB and will split time at WR with Warner. I know that nobody besides me is saying it. So let me be the first.
I think he will be the #3 QB but end up redshirting. I expect plenty of current WRs to step up next year.

Devils advocate here... do you feel that would stunt his development as a QB considering he hasn’t had a ton of experience playing QB to this point?
That's it right there. He doesn't have the experience playing QB but Mario likes his skill-set and will get hold of him and not let go (to another position) unless he washes out at the QB position. But McCaffrey is on campus and if he can move forward in his progress (both physically and mentally), they will give him a lot of reps in practice (not at #1). But no way in hell he moves to WR unless Frost & Co is left with an ultimatum because of attrition, injuries and lack of performance with the current the roster. They won't toss him in at another position solely to give him PT.

That's the thing...Next year, I don't think he can be as good as NV or AB based solely on his overall lack of experience at the position. One year playing the position does not set himself up well to compete against B1G teams. I think he'll get some playing time, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake if we didn't redshirt him.

I think Coach V. understands he is a project and even Luke himself has said that he will most likely redshirt as it is in his best interest.
Could be correct but we right now we've seen almost nothing from Vedral so there is that... I wasn't impressed with Bunch but in fairness he was dealt a bad hand. Almost zero time with #1's and then forced to play in the CU and Troy game.With AM we win both of those games going away. I just don't believe Bunch or Vedral is the answer to effective backup. I'm hoping AM can avoid injury next season but the BIG is tough especially for a running QB....

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I just don't see not RSing McCaffey as a huge mistake however. I wasn't aware that he said he wanted to redshirt? Interesting...

Could be correct but we right now we've seen almost nothing from Vedral so there is that... I wasn't impressed with Bunch but in fairness he was dealt a bad hand. Almost zero time with #1's and then forced to play in the CU and Troy game.With AM we win both of those games going away. I just don't believe Bunch or Vedral is the answer to effective backup. I'm hoping AM can avoid injury next season but the BIG is tough especially for a running QB....

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. I just don't see not RSing McCaffey as a huge mistake however. I wasn't aware that he said he wanted to redshirt? Interesting...
The kid is smart. His father played the game. He knows what is best for him and he knows overall, redshirting will not only benefit his development, but give him 2 years to lead this team as the starting QB.

The kid is smart. His father played the game. He knows what is best for him and he knows overall, redshirting will not only benefit his development, but give him 2 years to lead this team as the starting QB.
What's interesting is his brother Christian didn't RS at Stanford if memory serves me right? Granted he was a RB but still..... Perhaps Luke needs more development so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

What's interesting is his brother Christian didn't RS at Stanford if memory serves me right? Granted he was a RB but still..... Perhaps Luke needs more development so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Apples and oranges both from a developmental/expereience perspective as well as a positional one. The only similarity between the brothers is their last name. ;) But you are right...it will be interesting to watch!!!! Cant wait. GBR!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back