• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dabo Swiney and Scott Frost

Let's allow Frost to compete for a couple of NC's before any comparison.

Anybody remember this exact conversation a few years ago as : Bo vs Dabo ?? :Redface:

I've only lived in South Carolina for 15 years, but honestly I had no idea that Clemson was isolated and hard to recruit to. I can understand why young kids wouldn't want to live in mountains 3 hours from the beach, 2 hours from 2 of the largest cities in America. Oh an Dabo has been steadily building his program and has had it at an elite status for at least the last 6 years.....let's give Coach Frost at least 4 years to build Nebraska back to a competitor, overnight success doesn't happen like UCF everywhere.

1 - it took Dabo 6 years not 10. They were at or near this level 4 years ago.
2 - The hiring of Bret Venebles and keeping him, is argueablely his greatest move.
3 - Otherwise, you've got a lot of good points made, although I think Dabo has some X & Os skills you are discounting

2 - The hiring of Bret Venebles and keeping him, is argueablely his greatest move.
3 - Otherwise, you've got a lot of good points made, although I think Dabo has some X & Os skills you are discounting

Back in the Bo years, I always said Dabo was a cheap imitation of Bo. Crow sure is tasty.

Anybody else catch Dabo yelling at one of the coaches on the sideline in the first half? ("Do your damn job!") Didn't catch who he was yelling at but he was not a happy camper.

Saban is definitely old school. In terms of coaching style, I'd bet his day-to-day is more like Bear Bryant than Dabo Swinney. Guys like Frost and Swinney do appear (at least from an outsider's perspective) to be a bit more "touchy feely" for lack of a better phrase, which probably plays well with today's youth.

Saban is the best recruiter since at least Barry Switzer. He isn't much of a game-day coach though (he's said so himself). His strategy is to hire the best possible assistants and let them do their jobs. To my knowledge, he's never made a "buddy hire" and seems to have little need to surround himself with familiar faces or loyal assistants. I'm sure there is position coach or two who's been around a while but when it comes to OC and DC, Saban doesn't mess around.

On this score, Swinney out-Sabaned Nick Saban. If there is a better college DC than Brent Venables, I can't think of who it would be. Put him on the other sideline, and it's a different ballgame last night. It's astonishing that Oklahoma demoted him for Mike flippin' Stoops. OU fans are still weeping.

Frost has a similar demeanor and rapport to Swinney with the kids, but he definitely falls into the category of coach who needs to have a loyal staff. TO (and obviously many others) proved that both approaches can work. That said, if Frost proves to be good but not great in the coming few years, fans are going to take aim at his staff faster than you can say Craig Bohl.

Last edited:
Saban is definitely old school. In terms of coaching style, I'd bet his day-to-day is more like Bear Bryant than Dabo Swinney. Guys like Frost and Swinney do appear (at least from an outsider's perspective) to be a bit more "touchy feely" for lack of a better phrase, which probably plays well with today's youth.

Saban is the best recruiter since at least Barry Switzer. He isn't much of a game-day coach though (he's said so himself). His strategy is to hire the best possible assistants and let them do their jobs. To my knowledge, he's never made a "buddy hire" and seems to have little need to surround himself with familiar faces or loyal assistants. I'm sure there is position coach or two who's been around a while but when it comes to OC and DC, Saban doesn't mess around.

On this score, Swinney out-Sabaned Nick Saban. If there is a better college DC than Brent Venables, I can't think of who it would be. Put him on the other sideline, and it's a different ballgame last night. It's astonishing that Oklahoma demoted him for Mike flippin' Stoops. OU fans are still weeping.

Frost has a similar demeanor and rapport to Swinney with the kids, but he definitely falls into the category of coach who needs to have a loyal staff. TO (and obviously many others) proved that both approaches can work. That said, if Frost proves to be good but not great in the coming few years, fans are going to take aim at his staff faster than you can say Craig Bohl.

Defense wins Championships, I hope SF is willing to make changes to DC if needed.

C

On #2, a question I have is why is Brent Venebles not a head coach right now? And after last night, his stock will hardly ever be higher...why would he not be bolting for the HC job of his choice?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back