• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Football Playoffs to stay at four teams

This game shows we should have 8.
why is that? Most all of the contenders for the other 4 spots lost. UCF, Michigan, Washington and Georgia all lost. Only Ohio State won.

Last edited:
Underdog wins, 1 team fro each power 5 and 3 at large. UCF last year deserved a chance.

Most years an "Alabama" wins but if 1/10 yaears a UCF wins. It's like BYU back in the day. Not the right schedule, but if they win it makes for a "Hoosiers" scenario!

Why take away two good bowl games just to replace them with Clemson and Alabama beating the living crap out of two other teams in an 8 man playoff. I can't say that I totally disagree with the fans that want to go to 8 but at the same time I think too much of it is on emotion. I really can't think of any rational reason to move it to 8 if the purpose is to find a National Champion from the top teams. They have pretty much nailed it every year. Sucks that is mostly the same two teams but that's not the playoff issue.

Every argument I've heard against expansion usually includes the statement that 'Alabama and/or Clemson will just beat the crap out of the other four teams'. I don't necessarily agree. There isn't always going to be the level of disparity between #1 and #8 that we see today and additionally, matchups can play a role in some interesting games in the 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 slots. Upsets happen and it's usually based on favorable matchups either schematically or personnel wise for the underdog. Why should we just assume #1 and #2 would boat race any potential 5-8 slot teams? You might only see one or two upsets involving teams in the top two slots in a decade and more than likely the most intriguing early games will be in the middle of the seeding slots, but I still think it would increase the overall entertainment value of the CFP, involve more schools which will increase the interest and selfishly the likelihood that Nebraska could be in the mix more frequently. I really don't see a down side to it.

They don’t need more than 4 to crown a worthy champion. They just need to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules to get there. There are too many disparities in recruiting rules, number of conference games, massive teams of “analysts” on certain staffs, etc...

Last edited:
Every argument I've heard against expansion usually includes the statement that 'Alabama and/or Clemson will just beat the crap out of the other four teams'. I don't necessarily agree. There isn't always going to be the level of disparity between #1 and #8 that we see today and additionally, matchups can play a role in some interesting games in the 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 slots. Upsets happen and it's usually based on favorable matchups either schematically or personnel wise for the underdog. Why should we just assume #1 and #2 would boat race any potential 5-8 slot teams? You might only see one or two upsets involving teams in the top two slots in a decade and more than likely the most intriguing early games will be in the middle of the seeding slots, but I still think it would increase the overall entertainment value of the CFP, involve more schools which will increase the interest and selfishly the likelihood that Nebraska could be in the mix more frequently. I really don't see a down side to it.
Just ask Hville. Wait. It looks like you just did. He’ll tell you why it’s only about watching Alab-Clem and what an awesome game it was and how found the best team without needing even a four team play-off. All we neede was to open our eyes.

The playoffs is about crowning a champion and Clemson is a very deserving champion. Imagine how much more fun it would have been to have more of the country interested in the process. I saw a few plays last night only because my wife kept turning the channel to it. Very good teams I agree. Awesome game. Clemson smacked them. It was almost like Alabama did not deserve to be there. But I am glad we got to have the game. (Sarcasm)

What Mr. Keenum is really saying is that, "We will keep the playoff format at four teams until we can figure out how we can make really obscene amounts of money by expanding it to eight teams. At that point, we will increase the number of teams to eight".
Remember this, it is only about the money. No expansion should take place until they fix the rules and that stupid poll.

This game shows we should have 8.

Baloney, it shows the difference between them and the rest of us. You could have 16 teams and the results would have been the same, Clemson vs Bama.

Last edited:
Why should we just assume #1 and #2 would boat race any potential 5-8 slot teams?
Why assume that 5 through 8 wouldn't get boat raced? Recently history suggests that is the more likely scenario.

Additionally expanding the CFP waters down the importance of the regular season - every game is important. As it is now - 1-loss doesn't necessarily eliminate your chance to making the playoff. Now an 8-team playoff opens the chance that a 3-loss team could make the playoffs. Especially if conference champs are guaranteed a spot.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back