• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WBB Game #14, (L, 77-71), Thu, 1/3, @ Iowa, (9-3) (0-1), 7:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Huskers Fight to Finish at No. 19 Iowa
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785526
Iowa City - Freshman Leigha Brown scored a career-high 20 points, including six in the final 3:30, to help Nebraska rally from a 12-point deficit to cut the margin to two with 26.8 seconds left, but No. 19 Iowa hung on for a 77-71 women's basketball win at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursday night.

Brown, a 6-1 wing from Auburn, Ind., scored 20 points in just 19 minutes, while junior guard Hannah Whitish pitched in 14 points, including five points in Nebraska's furious rally in the closing minutes. Freshman Sam Haiby added three of her nine points in a three-minute stretch where the Huskers scored 14 points to cut a 69-57 deficit to just 73-71 with 26.8 seconds left.

Nebraska slipped to 7-7 overall and 2-1 in the Big Ten, while Iowa improved to 10-3 overall and 1-1 in the conference.

Senior All-American Megan Gustafson led Iowa with 28 points and 17 rebounds but the 80 percent free throw shooter missed four free throws in the game's final 11 minutes that could have put Nebraska away. However, she drew 12 fouls on the Huskers in the game.

Fellow senior Hannah Stewart made the game's biggest plays for the Hawkeyes with a pair of offensive rebounds on missed free throws by teammates Tania Davis and Alexis Sevillian in the final 30 seconds that allowed Iowa to push the lead back to two possessions. Stewart finished with 14 points and four boards on the night. Davis, another senior, added 11 points, while junior point guard Kathleen Doyle pitched in 11 points and nine assists. However turnovers and fouls by Doyle and Davis late in the game allowed Nebraska to fight its way back into a one-possession game in the final minute.

Nebraska hung with the Hawkeyes despite shooting just 38.7 percent (24-62) on the night. The Huskers did hit 42.9 percent (9-21) of its threes and 14-of-17 free throws (.824). The two teams both committed 17 turnovers, but Nebraska won the battle of the boards, 41-36. However, Nebraska outscored Iowa 16-5 on second-chance points in the game, even though both teams had 11 offensive boards.

Iowa, one of the nation's top scoring offenses, hit 49.2 percent (30-61) of its shots from the field, including 4-of-12 threes. One of the nation's top free throw shooting teams, hit just 65 percent (13-20) of its free throws.

Husker Ladies (7-6) (2-0)

- 2019 - Happy New Years! :Cheers:

Next-Up:
Thu, 1/3, @ Iowa, (9-3) (0-1), 7:00pm CT, BTN Plus

Huskers Take Aim at No. 19 Hawkeyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO LADY :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:Hooray: LET'S GO LADY HUSKERS!!!!! :pirate: BEAT THE HAWKEYES!!!!! :Hooray:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRIT; NO QUIT LADY HUSKERS!

o Huskers Game Page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785364

o VIDEO: BTN Plus
- https://www.btn2go.com/game/nebraska-at-iowa-on-01032019

o Audio Links:
(Huskers.com: http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
(TuneIn: https://tunein.com/radio/Husker-IMG-Sports-Network-s230240/?_branch_match_id=586027771734753162)
Matt Coatney & Jeff Griesch on the Call

o Live Game Stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=iowa

o Game Notes: http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5480834.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Huskers Take Aim at High-Flying No. 19 Hawkeyes

• The Huskers enter Thursday’s game with the Hawkeyes in a three-way tie atop the Big Ten standings with 2-0 Rutgers and 2-0 Indiana. Michigan State (1-0), which defeated Iowa 84-70 on Sunday in East Lansing, is the only other Big Ten unbeaten through the first week of conference play.
• Nebraska is coming off its first road win of the season, a 78-69 come-from-behind win at Ohio State on New Year’s Eve.
• Junior Nicea Eliely led Nebraska’s second straight fourth-quarter comeback by scoring 10 of her 14 points in the final period, as the Huskers outscored the Buckeyes 27-16 in the fourth.
• Freshman Leigha Brown kept the Huskers within striking distance of the Buckeyes by scoring a career-high 19 points through the first three quarters.
• Senior Maddie Simon is averaging 13.0 points in two Big Ten games. The 6-2 forward has hit 11-of-18 shots (.611) in conference play.
• Freshman Sam Haiby has averaged 10.0 points per game off the bench in Nebraska’s two Big Ten wins. The 5-9 guard is NU’s leading scorer overall at 10.8 points per game.
• Overall, Nebraska’s top two scorers on the season are both freshmen, as Sam Haiby (10.8 ppg) and Leigha Brown (9.6 ppg) help give the Huskers eight players averaging better than 8.0 points per game. A third freshman off the bench, Ashtyn Veerbeek has contributed 8.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. The 6-2 Veerbeek ranks second on the team in rebounding and blocked shots.

Scouting the Iowa Hawkeyes
• 17th year Head Coach Lisa Bluder brings an explosive and experienced Iowa team, led by All-American Megan Gustafson, into the game vs Nebraska. Gustafson is Iowa’s all-time basketball scoring leader with a career total of 2,124 points, and 1,130 rebounds in 111 career games.
• Gustafson, a 6-3 senior forward, averages 26.8 points and 12.6 rebounds while shooting a remarkable 72.9 percent from the field and 79.2 percent at the free throw line.
• Senior forward Hannah Stewart is averaging 12.6 points and 5.9 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field and 79.2 percent at the line. Stewart and Gustafson have not attempted a three-pointer this season.
• 5-3 Senior guard Tania Davis is averaging 11.2 points and 4.6 assists through 12 games. She is shooting 37.7 percent from three-point range and 87.5 percent from the free throw line.
• Junior guard Kathleen Doyle, recently returned from a broken left hand, has averaged 12.2 points and 4.6 assists.
• Junior guard Mackenzie Meyer has pitched in 10.6 points, a team-leading 4.8 assists per game and 23 three-pointers (.324). Meyer is also a perfect 18-for-18 at the free throw line
• Sophomore guard Alexis Sevillian is averaging 7.7 points and 3.2 assists this season and Junior Amanda Ollinger is averaging 3.2 points and 4.1 rebounds. The Hawkeyes have played just a seven-player rotation in recent games.
• The Hawkeyes are averaging 83.6 points per game while surrendering 71.2 ppg. All five starters average in double figures. The Hawkeyes are shooting a blistering 51.8 percent from the field, 34.2 percent from three-point range and 79.6 percent at the free throw line. Iowa also carries a plus-7.0 rebound margin and averages a whopping 22.1 assists per game. The Hawkeyes do own a minus-1.1 turnover margin, but eight Hawkeyes carry positive assist-to-turnover ratios.

Last edited:
I'd be at the game if it wasn't a weeknight where kids needs some shuttling. Would rather be at Sunday's win than tonight's likely loss anyway.

To Whom It May Concern: :Lol:

I can't seem to find the audio broadcast with Matt & Jeff on Huskers.com (no link is listed :Eek:) but I am getting it on Tune-In.

Last edited:
Hannah scores first with a trey

Taylor follows up with another trey! :Cheer2:

13-8 IA, TO. Our offense in the paint is not nearly as good as Iowa (meaning if our treys are not falling, we are falling (behind) but Haiby just entered the game so maybe she can get our rim game going. :Cheer2:

We're in a :Catfight:. IA leads 37-34 @ the Half;

Stats:

upload_2019-1-3_17-45-57.png

To Whom It May Concern: :Lol:

I can't seem to find the audio broadcast with Matt & Jeff on Huskers.com (no link is listed :Eek:) but I am getting it on Tune-In.

I had same issue while waiting to pick up my son. Now watching at home on BTN Plus.

Tune-in works well if you want to listen to Matt & Jeff (I have their mobile app on my phone) :)

Iowa seems to have a better inside game than we do (maybe Gustafson is the difference).

Good Nicea to Veerbeek assist for 2.

We need a Run!

Last edited:

Iowa Wins: 77-71 :(

Good Game Ladies, hanging with Iowa. You showed a lot of GRIT; NO QUIT to end the game :nod: We are really going to be a dangerous team next year (or at the end of this year). We'll get another chance; this time on Our Court! :)

(Doyle is a hot-head; Some may disagree, but I'm just as glad she didn't choose to come to Nebraska :mad:)

Final Stats:

Three stats that stand out to me (maybe the difference in the game):
FG%: 39 vs 49
Pts in Paint: 24 vs 43
Assists: 14 vs 21

upload_2019-1-3_19-32-12.png

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back