• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Gurus

skerinks

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
With these coaching changes happening after the early signing period what are the chances a kid could get a release from his commitment and sign somewhere else without penalty?
Are there any recruits that Nebraska was in on that this could directly affect?

Thank God I sucked so I didn't have to worry, although there was a little battle for me between the Marine Corps and air Force.

I had a similar situation between Army and Navy. Not for my football skills but for my brains. Joke was on them!

As for those player who signed early, that’s a tough call. A coaching change for whatever reason could decimate a class and put a team in a pretty huge hole. Part of me thinks maybe it should depend on the circumstances of the exit; but to the player that is likely irrelevant.

I had a similar situation between Army and Navy. Not for my football skills but for my brains. Joke was on them!

As for those player who signed early, that’s a tough call. A coaching change for whatever reason could decimate a class and put a team in a pretty huge hole. Part of me thinks maybe it should depend on the circumstances of the exit; but to the player that is likely irrelevant.
Why would we worry about the team tho and not the player? Who cares if the team is put in a huge hole? The coach these recruits pledged to play for and/or the AD made this decision, it the kid who is basically forced to sign this LOI. That’s up to the AD to have a transition happen like what Moos did where you can weather the storm and get it done before NSD. Don’t penalize the 17/18 year olds based on an adult(s) decision.

Last edited:
Why would we worry about the team tho and not the player? Who cares if the team is put in a huge hole? The coach these recruits pledged to play for and/or the AD made this decision, it the kid who is basically forced to sign this LOI. That’s up to the AD to have a transition happen like what Moos did where you can weather the storm and get it done before NSD. Don’t penalize the 17/18 year olds based on an adult(s) decision.

Especially when the adults making these decisions are the only ones actually getting paid.

While true, if it’s all about the players why not let any kid transfer whenever they like for any reason wothout sitting out. A lot of times the coaches to whom they commit on the recruiting trail are not the same coaches that show up in the team meetings or on the field. The team has to at least have some consideration. Moos did a great job in the transition, but many times the AD is not the one initiating the change. He might get Holgersoned out of nowhere. It’s a tough situation.

If a HC is fired and the next coach isn't from within, kids should get a free window to transfer (two weeks'ish). Keep it short enough that the school/next HC knows what he's working with quickly but long enough that kids can look around.

If a HC quits, I think the kids should be "stuck" at the school they signed with. That's not on the school, it's on the HC and should be viewed by potential future kids as someone you may not want to play for because he could easily leave any minute.

While true, if it’s all about the players why not let any kid transfer whenever they like for any reason wothout sitting out. A lot of times the coaches to whom they commit on the recruiting trail are not the same coaches that show up in the team meetings or on the field. The team has to at least have some consideration. Moos did a great job in the transition, but many times the AD is not the one initiating the change. He might get Holgersoned out of nowhere. It’s a tough situation.
Because transferring whenever you want would be happening after you are already there. We are forcing kids to go somewhere before they even set on campus due to signing a LOI.

The Holgerson example is perfect to what I’m referring. The guy who took the LOIs from these kids bailed. Let them out of the LOI that was accepted by someone that’s not even going to be there anymore. The AD could give Holgerson what he wants to “avoid putting his school in a hole.” If the AD can’t fix it, it shouldn’t be on the kids who haven’t even set foot on campus yet.

If a HC is fired and the next coach isn't from within, kids should get a free window to transfer (two weeks'ish). Keep it short enough that the school/next HC knows what he's working with quickly but long enough that kids can look around.

If a HC quits, I think the kids should be "stuck" at the school they signed with. That's not on the school, it's on the HC and should be viewed by potential future kids as someone you may not want to play for because he could easily leave any minute.
Slippery slope. I’m of the opinion that if the HC leaves before you’re on campus, you have the option to void your LOI and sign somewhere else. It’s ridiculous this happens after signing day. Nebraska did it right, and then got their hire right.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back