• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WBB Game #12, B1G OPENER, (W, 70-56), Fri, 12/28, vs Michigan (9-3), @ PBA, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Huskers Storm to Victory Over Michigan
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785154
Lincoln - Nicea Eliely scored all of her game-high 14 points in the fourth quarter to fuel a dominant 33-13 surge in the period, as Nebraska rallied to a 70-56 women's basketball win over Michigan on Friday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Eliely, a 6-1 junior from Colorado Springs, Colo., went 3-for-3 from the field with a three to open the fourth and 7-of-8 shooting at the free throw line in the final period, single-handedly outscoring the Wolverines 14-13 in the period. She also had three steals, two defensive rebounds and an assist in the quarter to help the Huskers open Big Ten play with a victory and improve to 6-6 overall. Nebraska also notched their fifth consecutive home win at Pinnacle Bank Arena, which attracted a season-high 4,450 fans for the conference opener with the Wolverines.

Prior to the fourth quarter, Eliely had not attempted a shot in the game, as the Huskers entered the final period trailing the Wolverines (9-4, 0-1) 43-37.

But Eliely wasn't the only Husker to erupt in the fourth, as freshman Sam Haiby scored 10 of her 12 points for the game in the final period, including a pair of game-sealing three-pointers to allow Nebraska to surge to the 14-point win.

In the fourth quarter, Nebraska hit 9-of-15 field goal attempts (.600) including 3-of-4 threes (.750), while knocking down 12-of-14 free throws (.857). The Big Red also outworked Michigan on the glass, 12-3, including five offensive rebounds on their eight missed shots in the quarter. Nebraska entered the fourth quarter minus-10 on the glass to a Michigan team that ranked among national leaders with nearly a plus-14 average rebound margin entering the contest.

In a fourth quarter that saw Nebraska outscore Michigan 33-13, the Huskers beat Michigan 10-0 in points off turnovers and 9-0 in second-chance points, while the Nebraska bench outscored the Wolverine bench 14-0. The Huskers forced seven turnovers by the Wolverines, while committing just one in the final period.

"That was really rewarding as a coach to see all the things we have been preaching to our players - like staying locked in on defense, putting great ball pressure on the dribbler and closing out possessions with defensive rebounds - come together in the fourth quarter," Nebraska Coach Amy Williams said. "We played good defense for four quarters today, but especially in the fourth."

Husker Ladies (5-6) (0-0)

Next-Up:
Fri, 12/28, vs Michigan (9-3) (0-0), @ PBA, 6:00pm CT, BTN

Huskers Open Big Ten Play with Michigan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOOOOO LADY :Huskers:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:Hooray: PACK PBA & GET 'ROWDY'!!!!! :pirate: BEAT THE WOLVERINES!!!!! :Hooray:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRIT; NO QUIT LADY HUSKERS!

o Huskers Game Page: http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785058

o VIDEO: BTN - https://www.btn2go.com/game/michigan-at-nebraska-on-12282018
Chris Vosters and Brenda VanLengen on the call

o Audio Links:
(TuneIn: https://tunein.com/radio/Husker-IMG-Sports-Network-s230240/?_branch_match_id=586027771734753162)

(Huskers.com: http://www.huskers.com/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100
Matt Coatney & Jeff Griesch on the Call

o Live Game Stats:

http://www.huskers.com/liveStats/liveStats.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&DB_OEM_ID=100

o Game Notes:
http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5480702.pdf
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Huskers Open 18-Game Big Ten Schedule with Michigan Friday
(This will be the first of eight BTN telecasts for the Huskers this season)

• Nebraska will try to extend its four-game home winning streak and stop Michigan’s two-game streak at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Huskers have won four straight in Lincoln since a narrow 83-77 season-opening loss to Missouri Valley Conference power Drake.

• Friday’s game will feature two of the nation’s top centers in Nebraska sophomore Kate Cain (9.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg) and Michigan senior Hallie Thome (12.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg). Cain is averaging 10.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.8 blocks while shooting 62.8 percent from the field at home.

• In two meetings against Cain and the Huskers last season, Thome averaged 17.0 points and 6.5 rebounds while shooting 52 percent (13-25). Cain averaged 9.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.0 blocks against Thome and the Wolverines while shooting 45 percent (9-20).

• The Big Ten opener also features several of the conference’s best freshmen, including Nebraska’s Sam Haiby, Ashtyn Veerbeek and Leigha Brown, along with Michigan’s Naz Hillmon and Amy Dilk.

• Haiby is NU’s leading scorer, averaging 11.0 points while coming off the bench in all 11 games. Hillmon, a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week, is Michigan’s leading scorer and rebounder with 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while coming off the bench.

• Hillmon (2nd, 12.6 ppg), Haiby (6th, 11.0 ppg), Veerbeek (8th, 8.8 ppg) and Brown (9th, 8.6 ppg) all rank among the top 10 freshmen in the Big Ten in scoring. Over the last four games, Veerbeek is averaging 12.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.

• Brown, a 6-1 wing from Auburn, Ind. was a runner-up to Michigan’s Dilk for Indiana’s Miss Basketball award last season. Dilk has started all 12 games for the Wolverines and is averaging 6.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

Scouting the Michigan Wolverines
• Michigan enters Big Ten play riding a four-game winning streak, while producing a 9-3 overall record. The Wolverines are receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches Top 25.

• The Wolverines finished 23-10 overall last year, including 10-6 in the Big Ten. Michigan finished sixth in the Big Ten standings before falling to Nebraska in the Big Ten quarterfinals. The Wolverines went on to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

• Michigan features a good blend of experience and youth. The Wolverines feature preseason All-Big Ten center Hallie Thome. The 6-5 senior is averaging 12.2 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, while leading Michigan with 11 blocked shots. Last season, Thome averaged 17.4 points and 7.0 boards per game.

• As a team, Michigan is averaging 75.6 points per game, while allowing 55.8. The Wolverines have dominated the boards (44.7-30.8) and own a plus-2.5 team turnover margin. Michigan is shooting a solid 45.1 percent from the field, but just 29.4 percent (57-194) from three-point range. Michigan has also hit 68.1 percent of its free throws.

Last edited:

This is shaping up to what could be a most interesting Game; One I think we can win despite the comparative record and statistics.

If we are 'ON' we can put up a lot of points real fast; then I think it could be just a matter of maintaining focus and hanging-on for the Win. Experience matters, and we are gaining it every day.

(In an oddity, this is one game where the Ladies will be on BTN (the first of Eight BTN appearances for the Ladies this season); And the Men are on BTN Plus. :Redface:)

Great game tonight ladies. :Mfclap: :Hooray: Way to take over the 4th quarter with a 33 point explosion...and the defense played awesome. :Rockon: :Shout: 1-0 in conference. :Cheer2: :Cheer2: :Cheer2:

Last edited:
:Woohoo: Wow!!!! What A Game (So sorry I had to miss it :Redface: but I recorded it to watch this morning. Imagine my disappointment when I couldn't find Matt & Jeff's broadcast to sync with BTN - I guess NeuLion hasn't archived it yet. :mad:).

Thanks for picking up the slack, @huskermike.:Mfclap: (and it's good to see some of the other WBB fans posting too, especially after such an exciting finish.)
During the Fourth Quarter the Ladies were playing like :Hair Fire: I think we can expect a lot more of the same during conference play. This Team can light it up real quick when they are 'ON' and one thing we already know is they Never QUIT!
index.php

Well, it's off to watch the Men's game vs Southern Minnesota. (on BTN Plus :Lol: no less!)
:Gobigred:

I couldn't get the Live Stats Page to work, but here is the final Official Box Score:
(Look at that Attendance: 4,450 :eek: :Bow:)

upload_2018-12-29_10-46-7.png

upload_2018-12-29_10-48-35.png

I couldn't get the Live Stats Page to work,

I had the Live Stats up through the game. Shortly after the final stats were put up they all disappeared. I couldn't get game or player stats either. I don't know what happened. :Unsure:

After the Arkansas game I posted that I really like their Stat Box. It's a really good display and has a lot of extras as well.

Final Stats:

index.php

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back