• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What away games have you been to?

2000 Alamo Bowl against Northwestern
2 Iowa games
2005 USC

Hoping the fall kids' sports schedule allows for a trip to Colorado. Likely another three seasons away from being empty nesters. Might have to consider the Illinois game with Diboy.

Missouri in 73
OSU 75
Penn St 82
Syracuse 84
S Carolina 86
ISU 92 (Part of radio broadcast team)
Notre Dame 2000

Went to NU and have a lot of college friends but still have a core group of Columbus High buddies. Upon graduating from NU in '90, and some from other colleges, we Columbus guys started taking a guys only weekend trip to an away game. Has taken place every year beginning in '90. Started out with about 14 or 15 of us but that has decreased to about 8 guys that still make the trip most every year. Was pretty crazy when we first started as we were in our early 20s and most of us weren't married. No one had much money in the early days so we kept it the Big 8 teams as we could drive and had a blast car pooling. I haven't made the trip each year.
My away games attended are limited to all of the Big 8 schools and the Citrus bowl in Orlando in '91 when we got smoked bad. How about you guys?

That's a Columbus thing--still having "a core group of Columbus High buddies" (I wouldn't limit it to Columbus High; it's just a Columbus thing), which is why it is such a glorious place.

For me: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State (twice), Missouri, Colorado (multiple times), K-State (multiple times), KU (multiple times), Music City Bowl vs. Tennessee '16, Northwestern. Having trouble warming up to the Big 10.

Next time DONU comes to Evanston, we need to set up a get together for all the Cornhusker fans in the area!

I forget the name of the bar an L stop away from Evanston that became a Husker fan pre-game gathering in '16. But the bar hadn't figured out yet how we travel, and they literally ran out of beer (somewhat tragic). And It was a huge place. We just swarmed it. You could see it on the faces of the managers and bartenders--"Who are these people?"

Last edited:
Nebraska 3 times
osu 3 times
Oregon
Washington
Air Force (would love to go back)
Colorado 3 times
Iowa State 1 time
Kansas 3 times
Kansas State 4 times
Missouri 2 times
Texas A&M 3 times
Baylor 6 times
TCU 1 time
Texas Tech 2 times
Texas (Dallas) 25 times
West Virginia 1 time
Miami
Alabama
Notre Dame 2 times
Tulsa
Florida State
Big 12 Championship games 4 times
Cotton Bowl
Orange Bowl

I've been to 61 games away from Memorial Stadium in Lincoln

Cotton Bowl
K State 3 times
Iowa State 4 times
Mizzou two times
Colorado 4 times
Kansas 4 times
Oklahoma 5 times
Iowa 3 times
Minnesota 3 times
Arizona St 3 times
Fiesta Bowl
Big 12 Championship 4 times
Orange Bowl
Washington
Baylor
Ok St both in Stillwater and KC
TAMU 4 times
Texas
Notre Dame
Rose Bowl
Penn St
Wake Forest
Holiday Bowl
Tex Tech
Ohio St
Wisc
Purdue
Michigan
Northwestern
Miami
Rutgers
Indiana

I hope to get to two or three in 2019

When I started to list these, I was amazed at how many Bowl games I have attended. Since we live in Texas, we have also been to many of the Big 12 games that were played close to home to include all teams in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, each quite a few times. Somewhere in there we also went to Shreveport, LA for a bowl game but not sure what year or what team. I have also been to at least 3 or 4 Big 12 Championship games in San Antonio, Kansas City, and a couple in Dallas before we moved to the Big Ten. Not too many away games since then since nothing is close to home anymore. Since we have season tickets, my son and I do get up to Lincoln for 4 or 5 home games per year, but I consider these away games for us.

1999 Fiesta Bowl versus Tennessee (Payton Manning)
2000 Alamo Bowl versus Northwestern
2001 Rose Bowl versus Miami
2003 Alamo Bowl versus Michigan State
2005 Alamo Bowl versus Michigan
2006 Cotton Bowl (when it really was the Cotton Bowl) versus Auburn
2009 Gator Bowl versus Clemson
2011 Capital One Bowl versus South Carolina
2013 Gator Bowl versus Georgia

Last edited:
Since I live in AZ and fly back for every home game, they are all away games for me in Lincoln. :thumbsup: (2000-present)

Minnesota 1990?
ASU 1988
ASU 1990
UCLA 1993
Fiesta Bowl v FLA 1995
ASU 1996
Fiesta Bowl v Tennessee 1997
Cal 2000?
Notre Dame 2002
Holiday Bowl v Arizona
USC 2007
Washington 2010
Michigan 2012
UCLA 2014?

Last edited:

Not as many as some, but those I recall:
1979 Houston (age 2, don't remember cuz I was on my mom's lap)
1981 Clemson (age 4, don't remember but I was there) NC game
1983 Miami (age 6, vaguely remember parts) NC game
1986 South Carolina (thought we would win big)
1984 Kansas
1987 Colorado
1987 Kansas
1991 Kansas (Calvin Jones went nuts for 294 yards)
1992 Oklahoma
1994 Miami NC game
1995 Mich State
1997 TaM in San Antonio
1997 Tennessee NC game
1999 Texas BIG XII game
1999 Iowa
2000 Notre Dame
2000 Texas Tech
2000 KSU
2001 (2002) Miami in Pasadena
2010 Washington
2010 Iowa State
2011 South Carolina
2013 Minnesota
2015 Minnesota
2017 Minnesota

Last edited:
My most memorable was Nebraska vs. Hawaii on December 4th, 1982. I was stationed on a Coast Guard Cutter on Sand Island, Honolulu, Hawaii.

I was a scatter brained youngster far from home, but had enough coherence to know NU was traveling to the islands.

NU was losing 13-0, Gill had back spasms and couldn't start. Nate Mason and Mathison were ineffective. Gill came in late and rallied us to a 37-16 win.

Went to the 1983 Oklahoma-Hawaii game, where the same scenario played out in that Hawaii jumped ahead and threatened to win till late. Any other NU fans sitting there that beautiful day so long ago?

Last edited:

Went to all the former Big 8 and 10 stadiums. Haven't been as aggressive getting to the B1G yet other than Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Out of conference UCLA, Fiesta in Tempe, Orange Bowl and Pittsburgh in 2004 as I was out there on business.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back