• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #10, (W, 94-75), Sat, 12/8 vs Creighton (#30), (6-2) @ PBA, 5:00pm CT, BTN

Here is the Official Box Score:

(and much more at the link http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211783278)

upload_2018-12-9_10-58-56.png

upload_2018-12-9_11-0-40.png

upload_2018-12-9_11-2-3.png

Last edited:

Just a couple things...

When Thomas Allen is a threat, our starting lineup is damn near impossible to defend. He can take people off the dribble, drive, shoot, and distribute the ball. It’s starting to click for him, I hope the last two games are a sign of consistency. 18 points, 5 boards, and 4 assists along with some pretty stout defense. I don’t expect that every night, but if he can consistently score 10 points as the 5th option, we are going to be damn good. Also, he played the most minutes out of any player on the floor last night. Warrior!

Nana may have only had 3 points, but when he came flying from the baseline, dove, and beat two Creighton players (who were much closer) to the ball, it showed how important the game was to Nebraska. Just a great play.

Amir was out with strep throat and it threw off our rotation a bit. Ballock got a lot of open looks against our rotation. I have little doubt Amir would have drawn Ballock when he was in there. I think some of those shots would have been challenged a bit better. Anyway, I hope he gets healthy and is good to go for Okie State.

The “Greg’s a cheater chant” was loud as hell and consistently shouted throughout the game. The crowd was energized from start to finish. The decibel level was crazy. The PBA is so difficult to play at, I will be suprised if we lose a game there this year.

It's amazing how much the BBall board is like the football board. Win the game and the game thread only goes 2 pages past the end of the game. Lose and it goes on for 8 pages. :Corn2:

Good win, I am with Rainbow Dash, if Allen can score 10-12 a game that makes NU that much better. It is always good to beat Creighton. Wish they had a game before Saturday. Too bad they don't have an Eastern somebody coming in on Wednesday to stay sharp.

I finally had a chance to watch the game with fewer distractions, and it was as close to a perfect game as I've seen from the Huskers in a while. The defensive intensity was excellent, and while the Jays still managed to shoot 40% from the 3 point line, they didn't get as many 3 point looks as I'm sure they wanted. One thing about basketball, is it's not a hard game to be successful at, if you are hitting. There are numbers that really reflect why this went from a pretty competitive game, to a beat down. Both teams took the exact same number of shots. Honestly, I can't recall a game with exact numbers, with the exception of 1 more free throw from the Jays. That's it, just one shot difference. Same 2s, same 3s, basically same free throws, just a big difference in shooting percentage...it's not a hard game when you are hot. 53% from the field, 52% from 3s and 80% from the line is excellent! Those are usually one player having a great game stats, not an entire team over an entire game. The Jays at 43%, 40% and 57% weren't awful, but those differences in percentages amounted to 12 points, 9 points and 4 points...competitive game vs. beat down.

The thing the Huskers need to always try to control is their defense. They have so many really good athletes, that they made a pretty good shooting team look not so good. They can win games with their defense, but when you add in shooting well, they can create beat downs. On offense I didn't really see a great deal of difference in what we were doing, beyond a little better distribution. That's not terribly unique when guys are hitting well, because hot shooters automatically open passing lanes in a defense. Guys also kind of get caught up in that wave of energy when everyone is scoring. They take less of it on their shoulders and the game just becomes really fun.

So for me, the main area that looked improved was defense, and I saw a couple of things defensively that really caught my eye. The first was Roby. Did anyone notice he only had 3 fouls? Creighton actually has some guys who make some pretty nice interior moves, so I was really impressed he didn't get drawn into immediate foul trouble trying to stop them. Roby is not a 5. He's not even an overly big 4, so for him to cover guys inside means he's usually giving up weight and a couple of inches. Now we all know the guy can get off the floor with the best of them, and everyone expects him to rely on that to compensate for the size difference, but smart 5s aren't going to let that happen. A smart 5 is going to make him stay down by turning it into a wrestling match. When you are bumping, pushing and leaning (giving up 20 lbs), you aren't getting off the floor well. It's just hard to jump, and when you do jump, you are a second late and more likely to foul. Creighton's guys are good at that wrestling part, but to Roby's credit, he didn't take the bait this time. He stayed down, and if he didn't have the advantage, he didn't try to block, he just tried to hold his position and kept his hands up. That meant they got some pretty easy baskets, but when we were hitting 3s, trading a 2 and not getting into foul trouble was the smarter play. Nicely done, Roby, we are better with you on the court.

I thought another big difference defensively was keeping a lid on Alexander. I think most of us have seen him go off in games, but not only did he only shoot 20% from the field, but he only had 3 assists, so he wasn't creating opportunities for others to score. That was some excellent team defense. We weren't watching guys continually attacking the lane, and that also helped Roby stay out of trouble. The area that we can, and need to control night in and night out is defense, because I think that's our best asset as a team at this point. Shooting 50% is a great thing, but we all know that isn't going to happen every night.

Great win overall!

Last edited:
I thought another big difference defensively was keeping a lid on Alexander. I think most of us have seen him go off in games, but not only did he only shoot 20% from the field, but he only had 3 assists, so he wasn't creating opportunities for others to score. That was some excellent team defense. We weren't watching guys continually attacking the lane, and that also helped Roby stay out of trouble. The area that we can, and need to control night in and night out is defense, because I think that's our best asset as a team at this point. Shooting 50% is a great thing, but we all know that isn't going to happen every night.

Great win overall!

Good post. Made me think about why I was so nervous when Mintz started hitting - sometimes it works out that keeping the second scorer down on a team is more effective than running out at the lead scorer. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference like with Amir Coffey - that guy was going to score all of the points. But keeping Alexander down worked out, and hope springs eternal.

I am really liking the minutes that Heiman and Borchardt are giving, and wondering where they can find a replacement for Borchardt for next year. Austin Allen would be nice if he wasn't busy - Logan Strom just transferred to UNO, so missed that one. I know you should be aiming higher for scholarship recruits, but this role seems like something UNL should be able to fill for next year until Roby is gone. Maybe grad transfer would work out, like Okeke.

Good post. Made me think about why I was so nervous when Mintz started hitting - sometimes it works out that keeping the second scorer down on a team is more effective than running out at the lead scorer. Sometimes it doesn't make a difference like with Amir Coffey - that guy was going to score all of the points. But keeping Alexander down worked out, and hope springs eternal.

I am really liking the minutes that Heiman and Borchardt are giving, and wondering where they can find a replacement for Borchardt for next year. Austin Allen would be nice if he wasn't busy - Logan Strom just transferred to UNO, so missed that one. I know you should be aiming higher for scholarship recruits, but this role seems like something UNL should be able to fill for next year until Roby is gone. Maybe grad transfer would work out, like Okeke.
I hope there isn’t the notion to bulk Heiman up to be a true 5. That kid has his own game, and he can be very effective continuing to play that fundamentally solid finesse game. If they try to match him consistently with big bodies, it’s going to suck the life out of his offense.

This is an example of what trying to create a guy into something he’s not can do. Lucas played a minimal amount, and was ineffective as a 5. Toward the end of his senior season he had games that he hit multiple 3s and several assists from the wing. He was a 4 at best, and was wasted when he could have contributed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rgj.com/amp/4161789

Last edited:

I hope there isn’t the notion to bulk Heiman up to be a true 5. That kid has his own game, and he can be very effective continuing to play that fundamentally solid finesse game. If they try to match him consistently with big bodies, it’s going to suck the life out of his offense.

This is an example of what trying to create a guy into something he’s not can do. Lucas played a minimal amount, and was ineffective as a 5. Toward the end of his senior season he had games that he hit multiple 3s and several assists from the wing. He was a 4 at best, and was wasted when he could have contributed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rgj.com/amp/4161789

I don't think it is possible to bulk Heiman up to a true 5. If he ever sees anything about 235 in his playing days I will be surprised.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back