• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Randy Gregory Article - Struggles with Addiction

Thank you for the feedback. This whole thing has been a learning experience for us and I'm not sure I will ever fully understand. I appreciate your perspective. My son attempted suicide in June. Fortunately he texted a girl after taking the pills and she called the police and EMS. I am trying to do what I think is right but the more I learn it seems the the less I know.

That is really tough. I'm so glad he made it through that alive. It's a daily battle and it never goes away. Just have to do the work, one day at a time.

What is the therapy? If you have the flu, a cold, cancer there are remedys, what is the remedy for addictioin?
Behavioral therapy, Contingency management, Rational emotive behavior therapy, Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, Dialectical behavioral therapy,Community reinforcement and family training, Matrix model.

Lets start there

You have to rewire the brain

Are you seriously this ignorant or are you just being contrarian?
Listen up, I have seen addiction first hand and I know more about it than all you ya hoos combined. If you think MJ is not addicting you have your head in your butt or buried in the sand.

Behavioral therapy, Contingency management, Rational emotive behavior therapy, Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, Dialectical behavioral therapy,Community reinforcement and family training, Matrix model.

Lets start there

You have to rewire the brain
Yes you do and you have to be ready to accept defeat, seems like there are remedys for the mj addiction after all. Thank you.

Listen up, I have seen addiction first hand and I know more about it than all you ya hoos combined. If you think MJ is not addicting you have your head in your butt or buried in the sand.

Nobody said it wasn't addictive. It's not physically addictive nor can you die of an overdose. Like everything else,. including tobacco and alcohol, too much of it is not a good thing.

You were questioning treatment. Now what the heck are you talking about?

You were questioning treatment. Now what the heck are you talking about?

I think probably what he’s saying is that therapy alone cannot cure addiction. There actually is no “cure” for addiction. When you’re an addict, you live with it for the rest of your life and battle it on a daily basis. Therapy alone is only a part of the armor you need for that battle, and it’s not even the biggest part.

I think probably what he’s saying is that therapy alone cannot cure addiction. There actually is no “cure” for addiction. When you’re an addict, you live with it for the rest of your life and battle it on a daily basis. Therapy alone is only a part of the armor you need for that battle, and it’s not even the biggest part.
Not a believer in once an addict always an addict. That is what keeps the stigma alive and keeps many from seeking help. I'm 32 years sober and have zero desire to ever go back to where I was with heroin. Do I have a beer or drink from time to time...yes I do. Some pot? Yes I do. Saying there is no cure, is just accepting defeat.

The hardest thing I have ever done in my life is quit smoking. I started in the Army, and am both a habit and addict smoker. It took me at least 1000 attempts before I was successful. From all I have read, Randy Gregory used pot as a method to cope with his metal problems that had never previously been diagnosed / treated. My guess is, you treat the underlying mental issue and pot use will be gone. What is unfortunate is that the drugs they will put him on that are "legal" for treating him will be much more deleterious.

Last edited:
Not a believer in once an addict always an addict. That is what keeps the stigma alive and keeps many from seeking help. I'm 32 years sober and have zero desire to ever go back to where I was with heroin. Do I have a beer or drink from time to time...yes I do. Some pot? Yes I do. Saying there is no cure, is just accepting defeat.

I meant there is no cure in the traditional sense. There's no magic serum.

I also think certain addictions are harder to shake than others. There are people in multiple programs who talk about which ones are harder to get past. I don't mean that in a way to minimize what you went through at all, but it is definitely a spectrum in many ways.

I'd be happy to talk more through private messages so I can clarify what I mean. It's difficult to talk about this in a public forum. The only people who really understand addiction are addicts.

I should also say within different addictions some people have a harder time shaking it than others. It may have been harder for you than it was for someone else to quit, and in turn it may have been harder for someone else than it was for you.

The substance or process someone is addicted to isn't the problem, it's the wrong solution. The person has to get to the root of their problems so they can fight to use a better solution to their problems. Of course, that is a gross oversimplification of "curing" oneself of addiction, especially because for a lot of people you continue to battle it for the rest of your life, but it's a decent summary. And I don't think that's accepting defeat. It's exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

Even in AA they espouse the theory that once an alkly always so. Its the core of their program. You should know that. You miss the whole point of the AA program, what you say is ready built failure. Every recovery program in existence follows the plan of AA unless of course you don't follow the program. The program says you can get well but there are those that can't because they are mentally incapable. Your kidding yourself Pops if you toke or drink.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back