• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Pola-Mao will not be visiting before NSD

CornhuskerinWI

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
Everybody is well aware of current Cornhusker target Noa Pola-Gates, the highly rated DB out of Arizona, but it seems that his cousin Matthew Pola-Mao has been offered a scholarship today. He's a 4-star Composite on 247 ... 6'2, 295 lbs. I haven't watched any film, but perhaps @N2FL can shed some light on him. It's very interesting that they've offered him, but I'm excited to see what comes from it. Absolutely, two guys that would be much needed on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Everybody is well aware of current Cornhusker target Noa Pola-Gates, the highly rated DB out of Arizona, but it seems that his cousin Matthew Pola-Mao has been offered a scholarship today. He's a 4-star Composite on 247 ... 6'2, 295 lbs. I haven't watched any film, but perhaps @N2FL can shed some light on him. It's very interesting that they've offered him, but I'm excited to see what comes from it. Absolutely, two guys that would be much needed on that side of the ball.

Looks like some crafty (a tip of the hat to the Bush family) strategery!

Given his relationship to Noa and the fact that he is a 4* player at a position of great need, I'm kind of surprised it took this long for us to offer him. Hopefully we're not too late to the party here.

How great would it be to pull three four-star defenders out of Arizona?

This is an offer I mentioned Nebraska should make in the summer IIRC. Noa and Matthew are extremely close. Best friends / "brothers, not cousins" close.

I'm just seeing this so i'm not sure where Nebraska likes him, but he could play NG or OG. The Huskers could use either. He's missed a lot of time in HS because of injuries, then missed four or five games because he transferred schools. This could be a trump card over Alabama for Noa. I know Matthew doesn't plan to sign early and still hasn't taken any OVs and I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for a mid to late January visit. If they can get a visit, I could really see them both going to Lincoln. Matthew's brother plays at USC, and Arizona State is still a finalist for Matthew and Noa, so it's not a slam dunk.

This is an offer I mentioned Nebraska should make in the summer IIRC. Noa and Matthew are extremely close. Best friends / "brothers, not cousins" close.

I'm just seeing this so i'm not sure where Nebraska likes him, but he could play NG or OG. The Huskers could use either. He's missed a lot of time in HS because of injuries, then missed four or five games because he transferred schools. This could be a trump card over Alabama for Noa. I know Matthew doesn't plan to sign early and still hasn't taken any OVs and I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for a mid to late January visit. If they can get a visit, I could really see them both going to Lincoln. Matthew's brother plays at USC, and Arizona State is still a finalist for Matthew and Noa, so it's not a slam dunk.
I don't want to jinx our chances with these guys, but I think it would be fun to work for or play for Herm Edwards. Something about his personality that resonates with me in a good way.
Given his positive impact on the ASU program so far, ASU is likely our 1-on-1 competition here.
We still need another 4/5 season NG/OG force; so this one is now on my recruit-love/crush poster board.

Let's do this, boys. EVERY MEAL can be a family reunion!! How cool would it be for both to end up in Lincoln. I'm hoping that they keep an eye on the end-game rather than the climate (i.e., USC) of who's recruiting them.

Well, that’s a bit insensitive now isn’t it. Pola-Gates is pretty easy as is Pola-Moa.

I hope they both choose Nebraska!
:rolleyes: pacific Islanders are not that sensitive. I am friends with literally 100s of them. Even new about 2 dozen members of Junior Seaus family. His niece did a sleep over with my daughter when they were 10. Trust me when i say that most of them would laugh at that comment. Nice try though. My work out partner for a year and a half was Sam Samoa. One of my best friends the first 4 years in the Corps was Aaron Tufanga. Who once told me prior to a rugby game. "Thom be careful today there are Samoans on that team and they cheat." I said, Aaron your Samoan." His response, that is how i know. While living in Oside Sam became a police officer. He told me Thom if any Samoans hassle you drop my name. They all know me. Used it once when some Samoan bloods were hassling me. They left apologizing. My daughter was in the annual hula contest at Oside beach band shell. So i think I am good with the PIs.

For the record they were the ones that got me to first notice how badly the announcers screwed up even easy Samoan names. They used to base drinking games on it.

Yes let's get all of the PIs with the unpronounceable names. (Love watching the announcers struggle) They are generally strong and mean.

Oh man, did you hear Kevin Kugler butchering RB Mohammed Ibrahim’s name in the Minnesota game? Kugler made no effort to get it right. He called him eye-braham, ee-braham, eye-brahime, I was embarrassed for Kugler. It would have taken one call to a Minnesota rep to get it right.

'Ee-bra-heem.

Professional sports announcers encounter foreign names all the time, and the good ones work get the names right. It’s important to those kids families. It’s professionalism.

You can do better, Kugs!

Last edited:

:rolleyes: pacific Islanders are not that sensitive. I am friends with literally 100s of them. Even new about 2 dozen members of Junior Seaus family. His niece did a sleep over with my daughter when they were 10. Trust me when i say that most of them would laugh at that comment. Nice try though. My work out partner for a year and a half was Sam Samoa. One of my best friends the first 4 years in the Corps was Aaron Tufanga. Who once told me prior to a rugby game. "Thom be careful today there are Samoans on that team and they cheat." I said, Aaron your Samoan." His response, that is how i know. While living in Oside Sam became a police officer. He told me Thom if any Samoans hassle you drop my name. They all know me. Used it once when some Samoan bloods were hassling me. They left apologizing. My daughter was in the annual hula contest at Oside beach band shell. So i think I am good with the PIs.

For the record they were the ones that got me to first notice how badly the announcers screwed up even easy Samoan names. They used to base drinking games on it.

I played club rugby against Samoans and Tongans here in Az back in the day. I never saw any cheat, but they did pound the crap out of us at every opportunity. Those interior guys had legs like tree trunks. I loved to play them. They played hard and partied harder.

I would love to see the Huskers get Polynesian pipeline going. The ones I’ve known were hard working, high character folks.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back