• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Randy Gregory Article - Struggles with Addiction

I don’t know about the substance being addictive, but you can get addicted to feeling better taking it over feeling crappy if you don’t.
Kind of a main point of addiction :Whiteflag:

It's just that some drugs are way more powerful in their effects on the dopamine and serotonin levels etc..
Regardless, I wish him well and hope he is past his demons so to speak. Also kudos to the helpers and folks in his corner as this is a tough enough journey to fight, even more so alone...

Gregory has pissed away great gifts. His personal problems are just that, at some point a guy has to grab himself by the stacking swivel and get his act together. He has had more second chances, in one lifetime, than ten people combined.

Gregory has pissed away great gifts. His personal problems are just that, at some point a guy has to grab himself by the stacking swivel and get his act together. He has had more second chances, in one lifetime, than ten people combined.
No one realizes it more than he does. No one is harder on him than he is. You stating it says more about you, in the wrong way, than it does about him. When dealing with the issues Randy is dealing with it isn't just "grabbing yourself by the stacking swivel and getting it done". To say it is simply a light switch type operation that a guy should just do, showcases a stunning ignorance to the complexity and depth of the human mind. Life is all about chances. Everyone gets more than 1. Everyone. In fact, we all get hundreds of chances to do the right things, make the right decisions, own up to our mistakes, make good on past indiscretions and help those who we may have wronged. All of us. Most aren't required to do all of that so publicly as Randy is.

Maybe take a step back and put yourself in others shoes instead of demanding they try on yours.

I'm guessing you have never dealt with addition yourself or watched a loved one self destruct due to addition. Most, not all, but most addicts know they need to stop what they are doing and get their act together and most are actually trying to do just that. Unfortunately the power the addition has is usually stronger. It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of second chances and if you're lucky you can gain enough power to hold the addition at bay every day for the rest of your life. If not you can end up in a life long cycle of winning and losing to the addition. The really unfortunate never gain power over their addition at all.

I have a 25 your old son who has been winning and losing to his addiction with alcohol for several years now. We talk daily and I know how hard he is trying but for whatever reason, it just has an immense hold over him.

I still hold him accountable for becoming an addict in the first place because that is on him. But piling on him and throwing that in his face doesn't help in his recovery. I only bring it up when he tries to blame others for his problems.

Good discussion. I don't know of much "hard science" in this area. The opinions-statements I made are from empirical evidence(from my own family) and anecdotal. I certainly have empathy for some of the circumstances stated above. I too hope Gregory is successful in overcoming his problems. However, I do believe tough love can be very effective in dealing with some of these problems.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back