• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who has the coaching carousel Scoop?

Always liked PJ. Seems like a great guy and I love his offense.
CPJ retiring has made me sad.... Tech has a truly special kid stepping into the starter role at QB (Tobias Oliver)... I really hope that Jeff Monken comes from Army to take over the reigns... would be seamless since he ran Paul's offense for years and years.

I like Paul Johnson a lot. His talks at coaching clinics (and on DVDs) are quite good. He's a very sharp guy. I also liked that he didn't suffer fools lightly, either, and he called B.S. when appropriate. I would have loved to have played for a coach like him.

That's a great hire.....10 years ago.
Yep.

Same with Gene Chizik as the coach-in-waiting, if that turns out to be the case. Gene will be in his 60s when Mack is done -- what are we waiting for?
I will disagree, if that is the HC,DC, and OC I think that is a pretty good trio, depending on position coaches they could do pretty good. I get they are older, but they also have a lot of experience.
I'm not convinced the game didn't pass Mack Brown by. His last few years at UT were dreadful. And now he hasn't been coaching in five years.

I actually like Mack Brown, so I hope it works out for him at UNC. Would North Carolina hire him if he hadn't been a successful coach there in the 90s? I'm going to guess, probably not.
Mack to UNC is laughable.

It would be interesting to see what that program could do with a really good coach...i e. If Mack had stayed there the first time around and built a program.

Nobody is mentioning that Mack Brown has a sterling reputation when it comes to running a program, and UNC could use that, right now. I would expect him to lend his name to the program, help with organizational stuff, and serve as a world-class fundraiser with the boosters. I also think it's right to consider the ASU/Herm Edwards experiment as a model. UNC is not going to out-recruit Clemson, FSU, and Miami, but Mack Brown in the living room, talking to Mama about taking care of her boy is a pretty darn good trump card to have. If UNC can bring in Brown for just a few years to lend his name and credibility to the program, and they can have another big-name coach (or coaches) with similar reputations waiting in the wings, how is that not a good situation for UNC to have?

Nobody is mentioning that Mack Brown has a sterling reputation when it comes to running a program, and UNC could use that, right now. I would expect him to lend his name to the program, help with organizational stuff, and serve as a world-class fundraiser with the boosters. I also think it's right to consider the ASU/Herm Edwards experiment as a model. UNC is not going to out-recruit Clemson, FSU, and Miami, but Mack Brown in the living room, talking to Mama about taking care of her boy is a pretty darn good trump card to have. If UNC can bring in Brown for just a few years to lend his name and credibility to the program, and they can have another big-name coach (or coaches) with similar reputations waiting in the wings, how is that not a good situation for UNC to have?
Mack loves the CEO/Figure Head role. I can see him bringing stability to the program, then handing it off to someone groomed to fill the role.

Brohm staying a Purdue. If they can find a QB next year, they will be a tough out.

Last edited:

It's fine I guess,but I really dont think he'll meet the expectations fans will have because it's Mack Brown. I would have made a very high offer to Scott Satterfield instead of Mack Brown

Also, when Mack was at UNC he wasn't out recruiting those schools back then. I don't see it happening now either. The realistic expectation is just.beat State.and Duke.

Also, when Mack was at UNC he wasn't out recruiting those schools back then. I don't see it happening now either. The realistic expectation is just.beat State.and Duke.

I wouldn't expect him to have out-recruited those schools then or now, but what I was saying is that he will be a better recruiter because of his reputation than most of the other options that they could have. Even if they got a great, young coach, unless he has ties to the school, they won't keep him anyway. I think that they know this. I think that, like Arizona State, they're hoping that a CEO coach with former ties to the school and the region will be able to provide the stability while recruiting and developing the young coaching talent for the staff that will do the work. It's not ideal, but it is a sensible plan, and I think that a lot of the schools that are in that range of being consistently middle-class or lower in the P5 conferences are going to consider it as an option going forward, especially if they happen to have a famous alum who would make a great figurehead as the CEO. If Frost wasn't an option for us, Osborne could have done that. I think that a lot of us would have preferred that to much of what we've seen for the past 15 years.

Last edited:

I wouldn't expect him to have out-recruited those schools then or now, but what I was saying is that he will be a better recruiter because of his reputation than most of the other options that they could have. Even if they got a great, young coach, unless he has ties to the school, they won't keep him anyway. I think that they know this. I think that, like Arizona State, they're hoping that a CEO coach with former ties to the school and the region will be able to provide the stability while recruiting and developing the young coaching talent for the staff that will do the work. It's not ideal, but it is a sensible plan, and I think that a lot of the schools that are in that range of being consistently middle-class or lower in the P5 conferences are going to consider it as an option going forward, especially if they happen to have a famous alum who would make a great figurehead as the CEO. If Frost wasn't an option for us, Osborne could have done that. I think that a lot of us would have preferred that to much of what we've seen for the past 15 years.

My issue with Mack is look how his tenure at Texas ended. Add 5 years to that. Unless he hires dynamic OC, I feel the game has passed him by as far as.his offensive philosophy.
Satterfield is from the county that UNC is in,so that's his home area. He is an App St alum so it will take a lot to get himto leave, if he ever does. But I would have called him before anyone.

My issue with Mack is look how his tenure at Texas ended. Add 5 years to that. Unless he hires dynamic OC, I feel the game has passed him by as far as.his offensive philosophy.
Satterfield is from the county that UNC is in,so that's his home area. He is an App St alum so it will take a lot to get himto leave, if he ever does. But I would have called him before anyone.

Honestly, I know nothing about Satterfield, so you have a solid point with him. Is it possible that they did talk to him, but he wasn't interested?

I also agree with how Mack's tenure ended at Texas, but I think that he's also aware of what happened. He stopped coaching players a long time before the wheels came off, and I think that he was spending too much time with alums. He also let discipline slip, which was probably the most unusual thing about the whole process. If he takes this job with the expectation of being a CEO, he can hire the coaching talent and delegate the disciplinary details to someone he can handpick. If they give him the money to compete with facilities and staff hires, I really do think that he can do well there. At the very least, like you said, he should beat Duke and NC State.

I couldn't agree more. I've always been a Gdowski fan. Imagining him in Colorado makes me want to throw up.
Dad still lives in Fremont, family is close by so if Gerry were to go with him it would be better for his family. That said the Godowski's have all been out of Nebraska High School sports for a long time so a lot won't remember who he is. But yes, it would suck.

Dad still lives in Fremont, family is close by so if Gerry were to go with him it would be better for his family. That said the Godowski's have all been out of Nebraska High School sports for a long time so a lot won't remember who he is. But yes, it would suck.

I got to know Ben Sasse when I was in college, and he had nothing but good things to say about the family. My time in college overlapped with Gdowski's sister, who ran track, but I never knew her. That family had some good genes.

Honestly, I know nothing about Satterfield, so you have a solid point with him. Is it possible that they did talk to him, but he wasn't interested?

I also agree with how Mack's tenure ended at Texas, but I think that he's also aware of what happened. He stopped coaching players a long time before the wheels came off, and I think that he was spending too much time with alums. He also let discipline slip, which was probably the most unusual thing about the whole process. If he takes this job with the expectation of being a CEO, he can hire the coaching talent and delegate the disciplinary details to someone he can handpick. If they give him the money to compete with facilities and staff hires, I really do think that he can do well there. At the very least, like you said, he should beat Duke and NC State.

Its possible they called Satterfield but this thing moved so quickly that I wonder if they had Mack in mind for weeks. I do think it will take a great situation and a lot of money to get Satterfield out of Boone because he played and coached there. He's a great young coach who's building something pretty cool.
Good point on Mack and the boosters. What will help him at UNC is he already knows all the big wigs and they're generally more concerned about bball than football. It all hinges in his coordinator hires.
Also, I don't think he will tank. I just hope people aren't expecting 10 wins like the last time he was here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back