• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

I wonder how much of Bo's legend was from circumstance. At Youngstown, he was able to bring in some key D1 talent from NU. At NU inherited some amazing talent ondefense. When that early talent faded, so did his defense.

Imagine where this current team would have been if Frosrt had talent like Suh, Crick, Steinkuhler, Amukumara, Dennard, Dillard, Asante, and Hagg on the roster.

I wonder how much of Bo's legend was from circumstance. At Youngstown, he was able to bring in some key D1 talent from NU. At NU inherited some amazing talent ondefense. When that early talent faded, so did his defense.

Imagine where this current team would have been if Frosrt had talent like Suh, Crick, Steinkuhler, Amukumara, Dennard, Dillard, Asante, and Hagg on the roster.

Very good point. To the degree that Callahan was a bad coach, he was also quite a decent recruiter. He recruited a lot of studs that he couldn't coach, but Pelini could. When the Callahan pipeline ran out, the record declined a bit.

I think Pelini was always going to be good for 7 to 9 wins a year, with an occasional 10 win season in there somewhere. He just ticked off the AD who also happened to be a jerk - nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise he'd still be walking our sidelines.

Certainly Pelini didn't have the ceiling that HCSF has, but not many do. Frost seems to have the schemes, the coaching, and the recruiting. That spells more wins.

HOGWASH...

Pelini is still a good football coach and only got 2 players for Nebraska to transfer... both guys that he recruited to Nebraska and desperately tried to keep at the school through turmoil (Alexander and Moss)... The fact is Bo does not enjoy recruiting, we all know this but the MVC is just ridiculously tough.

The NCAA was tired of the MVC dominance over the past decade and decided to snub the conference this year and give out only 3 bids while giving 6 to the Colonial... turns out the Colonial was HIGHLY overrated and Indiana St got absolutely screwed. The Colonial this weekend lost 4 playoff games and the only win was by JMU was over another Colonial team (Delaware).

Meanwhile the Northern Iowa team that YSU beat the snot out of just 3 weeks ago...(which I was all but certain was going to knock them out of the playoffs)...went on to win their first rd playoff game.

YSU is going to be much better next year... mark my words.

I don't want to dog on Bo or his family, because I think they are good people. But you can see the football results are not working. I hope Bo and his family have a happy life, but maybe he is just best running a defense and focusing on that alone.

I kind of thought that, plus what they are paying DC's these days, take the 1/2 to 3/4 million or more, coach only defense and not have to do very many interviews. Makes sense.

UNI on to the 2nd round of the FCS playoffs... still think they are "middle of the road"? They play Cal Davis (#6 seed) this weekend... we will see how middle of the road they really are I guess...

The seedings were a complete joke. I wouldn't doubt if UNI comes out of the lower portion of the bracket. Eastern Washington might be their only real competition.

They definitely are trying to make NDSUs path for #7 out of 8 as difficult as possible.

YSU lost to Butler 23-21. No, I'm not talking about a basketball game. Yes, Butler actually has a football team.

YSU fans are calling for Bo to be fired.
He will soon be vilifying the Administration, pointing fingers and holding an off campus meeting with players.

*Note to players: Get your recording devices ready.

By 1 score to a team that beat the crap out of FBS Colorado St in Fort Collins... You love to tell the story with records with no context.

So 6-5 Illinois State beat Colorado State? And? 3-9 CSU is a terrible football team. CSU's 3 wins were against teams with a combined 8-28 record. The records of the only 3 teams CSU beat?

2-10
3-9
3-9

You love to make excuse after excuse for Bo Pelini. YSU finished 4-7 in a year in which you predicted they would have a winning record. You predicted that even after they lost their first game of the year to a team that doesn't even hand out scholarships for football players.

This was a bad year for YSU and Pelini, and no amount of spin from you can change that simple reality.

Last edited:
So 6-5 Illinois State beat Colorado State? And? 3-9 CSU is a terrible football team. CSU's 3 wins were against teams with a combined 8-28 record. The records of the only 3 teams CSU beat?

2-10
3-9
3-9

You love to make excuse after excuse for Bo Pelini. YSU finished 4-7 in a year in which you predicted they would have a winning record. You predicted that even after they lost their first game of the year to a team that doesn't even hand out scholarships for football players.

This was a bad year for YSU and Pelini, and no amount of spin from you can change that simple reality.
You absolutely know that FCS schools beating even crappy FBS schools is an accomplishment... let alone by more than 2 TDs... Same Colorado St team that had beaten Arkansas 2 weeks prior to meeting Illinois St...

YSU had a crap year and the Butler fluke loss is inexcusable... no denying it but if you know the conference then you know 4-7 in MVC (with 1oss being to a very good WVU team) might be 9-2 or 8-3 in any other FCS conference in America... That is what you don't comprehend...still to this day.

YSU had a crap year and the Butler fluke loss is inexcusable... no denying it but if you know the conference then you know 4-7 in MVC (with 1oss being to a very good WVU team) might be 9-2 or 8-3 in any other FCS conference in America... That is what you don't comprehend...still to this day.

So, you're saying the MVC is too good for Bo. Definitely appears that way after consecutive seasons with a non-winning conference record. I hope someday Bo finds a place where he fits. ;)

I have a sense you are in greater defense of Bo than the majority of YSU fans. Why?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back