• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

12 team playoff

Conference champions from D1A should all get in. Any remaining slots covers the shoulda woulda. Rank them 1-16 and play a bracket. The top teams have the path of least resistance. First two rounds at home if they can accommodate 60,000 seats; else NCAA has neutral regional sites available to favor higher seed. Ticket sales split 50 home team, 25 away tea, and 25 to NCAA to fund tournament. Win or don't complain.
These are students not pro ball players and these are not basketball teams, its football.

These are students not pro ball players and these are not basketball teams, its football.

It's a tournament of actual conference champions. The NFL playoffs are a joke in comparison.

I get it, you only want Power 5 teams. It's rather narrow-minded IMHO.

It's a tournament of actual conference champions. The NFL playoffs are a joke in comparison.

I get it, you only want Power 5 teams. It's rather narrow-minded IMHO.
I think his point is, 20-year-old kids aren't typically built to withstand a 16+ game season. It wasn't long ago when playing 12 games in a year was a big deal. In my Dad's day, they only played 9. The bigger you make the playoff, the more likely that injuries will factor into who wins out -- and it's more likely to not be the best team from the regular season.

Some HM members may recall seeing this in past years. Before the new CFP, while it was already seeming to be inevitable, a buddy and I were kicking around what type of playoff system would be best for keeping the regular season as meaningful as possible, encouraging good non-conference games, keeping fan travel to a minimum, and giving all teams a chance to be in the field (even the G5). What we came up with was a 12 team field, with three 'tiers' to lessen the chance that teams would just try to cruise into neutral site games without really playing anybody.

Based on Massey Composite Ranking (although I can update with real CFP rankings tomorrow night...). This will change quite a bit with the two big SEC games coming up this weekend (Alabama/LSU & Georgia/Kentucky).

#9 Ohio State at #8 Kentucky
- Winner at #1 Clemson

#12 West Virginia at #5 Michigan
- Winner at #4 LSU

#11 Penn State at #6 Notre Dame
- Winner at #3 Georgia

#10 Florida at #7 Oklahoma
- Winner at #2 Alabama

Bubble Teams to Watch:
#13 Utah
#14 Iowa
#15 Wash State
#16 Central Florida
#17 Mississippi St
#18 Fresno St
#19 Texas
#20 Texas A&M

Alternatively, maybe a 6 team field, with the champions of each P5 conference and the top G5 team or ND (maybe with a certain minimum ranking requirement?)?

#7 Oklahoma at #6 Notre Dame
Winner at #1 Clemson

#13 Utah at #5 Michigan
Winner at #2 Alabama

Last year's playoff of conference champs would have been...

#12 Central Florida at #8 USC
Winner at #1 Clemson

#5 Ohio State at #3 Georgia
Winner at #2 Oklahoma
Jesus, when will this ever stop? Every single solitary year some guy and his buddy were kicking around an idea about a playoff system that makes the regular season meaningful and something about bowl games and crap.

We already have too many playoff teams. I thought playoffs were supposed to be the magical fix it all to any doubts about who's champ?

Gimme back the ambiguity. That was at least more fun to debate than who's playoff format is more bestest and why we need more teams.

It's ridiculous.

Until expansion to 6 or 8 no team that doesnt win its conference belongs in. Period.

Bama...if they are smart...will rest starters against LSU. No reason to risk playing in a title game

I agree with Bilsker about Alabama as it's going to take two losses by them to keep them out of the playoffs on any given season apparently.

An Alabama shouldn't fear playing first round against a Sun Belt, Mid-American, American Athletic, Conference USA, or Mountain West champion. Excluding these teams from a tournament of champions is saying the Power 5 are afraid.

You also need a way for Independent teams to earn berths. The Power 5 shouldn't be too soft to not include Notre Dame, BYU, Army, etc.

Last edited:

Jesus, when will this ever stop? Every single solitary year some guy and his buddy were kicking around an idea about a playoff system that makes the regular season meaningful and something about bowl games and crap.

We already have too many playoff teams. I thought playoffs were supposed to be the magical fix it all to any doubts about who's champ?

Gimme back the ambiguity. That was at least more fun to debate than who's playoff format is more bestest and why we need more teams.

It's ridiculous.

1. I never mentioned bowl games.

2. I prefer the old BCS rankings and bowl matchups, with all of the debate that goes with the ambiguity.

3. The premise here is that you MUST come up with a playoff system of some sort. It was inevitable when we originally kicked it around.

Just simple 8 team playoff with 5 Power 5 Conference Champions ( if those are chosen from the Divisions they set up, so be it). Then add 3 WC’s that cannot be a losing team from the Conf Championship Games (so in effect those games make it a 16 team playoff...win that CCG and you’re in the CFP). This makes the regular season ultra important and meaningful as if you just win your Division, then you have a shot to get in the CFP by winning the CCG. Every sport has a playoff to determine their champions and their reg season matters only in that they have to be a Division winner to guarantee themselves a shot...THAT keeps Cinderella alive for CFP. By eliminating CCG losers, you then take the highest ranked three other teams. I don’t think ND could stay independent under this system as they would only be able to get in via WC. Not easy. What I like about this is it would create excitement for every Division in Power 5, as even the down year Divisions (like B1G West and PAC12) would be out of any CFP, but in this scenario they would still have a shot at CFP. So a game like NW-Iowa, would be HUGE coming up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back