• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Defense gassed?

There needs to be some definite changes, but I think the right personnel will go a long way. Let’s be honest, didn’t our first 5 offensive possessions yield about 3 points while our defense was hanging in there? We can’t just keep running our defense out after using up 45 seconds against a team like Wisconsin.

Lots of layers of suck right now.
That's an excellent point imo. The D was left hanging to stop a team that averages about 6'6" 321lbs across the front. Now toss in one of the top RB's in the country and how long can most D's stop them? Both teams scored 21 points the 2nd half so I'd call that pretty much even..........

So in your OPINION:
1. Our coaches cannot teach proper technique.
2. Our coaches cannot develop players.
3. Our coaches should sit players not doing the job because we have enough depth to do that.
4. You don't think coaches are substituting properly.
Did I get it right?

You forgot that a natural DE making his 2nd or 3rd start at NT should be playiing as well as Tom Brady does at QB.

That is how HCSF runs offense. The defense is on the field a lot. I do not think we execute very well on offense or defense. There are lots of fundamental break downs like not making a pile when you get double teamed. Our defenders are turning their shoulder and not taking on blocks head up. Fix the basics and good things happen.
It’s fine to run it that way when you are getting points or not having consecutive three and outs. Needs to bleed some clock at times because the more gassed you are, the less fundamental you get. Again, when we weren’t that gassed, we hung in really well against the best OL and best back we are going to see.

Last edited:

I do believe if the double teaming had been defended more effectively then they certainly wouldn't have near the success against NU. The big runs came when double teams interfered with the linebackers. They didn't have a lot of success when they did not use combination blocks. This is a case where one specific break down in technique amplified the results.

That is how HCSF runs offense. The defense is on the field a lot. I do not think we execute very well on offense or defense. There are lots of fundamental break downs like not making a pile when you get double teamed. Our defenders are turning their shoulder and not taking on blocks head up. Fix the basics and good things happen.
I know if I got double teamed by those dudes I would make a pile real quick. :nod:

I do believe if the double teaming had been defended more effectively then they certainly wouldn't have near the success against NU. The big runs came when double teams interfered with the linebackers. They didn't have a lot of success when they did not use combination blocks. This is a case where one specific break down in technique amplified the results.
The double-teams are part of a zone blocking scheme, which is also what Nebraska's O-line uses. It's designed to get double-teams wherever possible and shove the D-lineman to the 2nd level to then slide off and pick up a LB. The double-teams were effective not just because of some magical play-calling or complicated scheme; it was effective because these are really good, big, strong linemen with a lot of years of experience, and they were shoving around mostly under-sized, young, inexperienced D-linemen on the Nebraska side who don't have the techniques or reads mastered yet. Wisconsin's O-line was pretty much a carbon copy of Nebraska's O-line from the 80s and 90s, right down to their scheme, technique, age, and multiple years of training before being able to contribute.

We need time, good bodies, coachable kids, more strength and conditioning, more coaching/drilling of techniques and making reads,... and more time. It takes 3-4 years to build an O-lineman, and you need 3-deep depth across the board, both for cycling guys through, and for emergencies. It's pretty much the same on the defensive side. When we switched from the 4-3 to the Diaco 3-4 to this attacking 3-4, it was like starting over, 2x. While the coaches and players might mean it when they say that this wasn't Year 0, it was definitely Year 0 for the entire D-line and for any of the O-line that didn't get most of the reps last year.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

Squats are for power, and though they may help some for endurance, they do not substitute for cardio exercises. Some posters here ought to know that, but prefer to make jest of our "gassed" team's power training because it fits their narrative. The real reason they were gassed, is that they aren't very good right now, can't get off the field, and have offensive partners that haven't been doing them any favors.

Last edited:
The real reason they were gassed, is that they aren't very good right now, can't get off the field, and have offensive partners that haven't been doing them any favors.

That's it. End of conversation. I'd be 'gassed' too if I spent most of the first half on the field regardless of the opponent. Add to that the quality of the opposition and it takes it's toll. Increasing the defenses endurance is great and does need to happen. Not having them out on the field constantly wouldn't hurt either.

Pretty much has already been covered by other posters . . . the defense is still learning yet another new system with new coaches and is thin, while the offense and special teams have given that defense pretty much ZERO help up to this point. That has to stop. The offense needs to get points on the board and stop going 3 & out or having very short drives. Then the special teams needs to turn the field over.

I don't see how you could have asked the defense to do much more in the 1st half against Wisconsin. They kept holding the badgers when the offense and punt units sucked it up and kept them on the field (and in bad field position). Then the offense has a chance to score before the half and goes the wrong direction and again leaves the defense in a bad spot where they give up a drive. This corvette offense needs to stop being a beat up Pacer with bald tires and needs to start doing that early in games and not when it's deep in a hole.

When Frost's offense is humming, it's scoring and putting pressure on the other team to score and keep up . . . and that's when you get mistakes and turnovers in greater numbers, when the other team is taking chances and pressing.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back