• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

D Daniels

Red_MN_Golfer

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
Listening to DB this morning and he said coaches said Damion Daniels is really good 1st 10 snaps, good next 5 snaps then falls off (conditioning is bad- but he is working on).

With this wouldn't you want to start him on the 1st drive to set the tone. Depending upon the length of the drive he could take another series late in the 1st half.

Especially this game making sure you stop the run and make them 1 dimensional

Maybe he'll get All B1G 1st Drive team. JK JK. Its a brutal position with 650 lb double teams banging on you from the first snap.

Sounds crazy to have a guy on a 'pitch count' because of conditioning, but maybe that is what they have to do to manage productive effort.

On occasion, I think we all forget that kids like Daniels, are just that, they are kids. They are young pups who haven't grown into their body, haven't had 4-5 years of conditioning and lifting under their belts, and haven't been coached up at the college level for long. Think about it, Daniels is going up against grown men (many redshirt Sr's and Jr.s) in many cases...as evidenced last week.

If he continues to work, he's going to be special and will be the anchor for this D-line in 2 years.

Last edited:

How do you keep his mass and condition him?
You can have both. Living here in New England, I watched Vince Wilfork (who Daniels reminds me of athletically) play at 330-360lbs and play every 1st and 2nd down of every snap (he'd leave on sub packages) and he was as strong late as he was early. It can be done. I think right now, he may get a little overwhelmed strength-wise, which exacerbates the fatigue.

You can have both. Living here in New England, I watched Vince Wilfork (who Daniels reminds me of athletically) play at 330-360lbs and play every 1st and 2nd down of every snap (he'd leave on sub packages) and he was as strong late as he was early. It can be done. I think right now, he may get a little overwhelmed strength-wise, which exacerbates the fatigue.

Good comparison. Wilfork is a world class athlete, imo. I hope Daniels is at that same level.

Weight training and conditioning takes years, not months. Our players have not trained well for several years. You can't just get that lost time back. Training builds on prior training. There is no quick fix. These guys just have to start working harder and keep working harder. Effort is the key. And that is a cultural fix as well so it will take even more time.

Good comparison. Wilfork is a world class athlete, imo. I hope Daniels is at that same level.
You are right about Wilfork's athleticism. Probably a stretch comparing to Daniels, but I do think he is well above average athletically and could blossom into a freakish run-stuffer in the years to come.

Last edited:

Listening to DB this morning and he said coaches said Damion Daniels is really good 1st 10 snaps, good next 5 snaps then falls off (conditioning is bad- but he is working on).

With this wouldn't you want to start him on the 1st drive to set the tone. Depending upon the length of the drive he could take another series late in the 1st half.

Especially this game making sure you stop the run and make them 1 dimensional
Maybe we should use him on 3rd downs only until he gets where he needs to be.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back