• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HNC's quick thoughts - Wisconsin

The O line continues to hurt us. We will only be as good as those guys, and right now, they're not that good. Better days ahead. GBR .

1. Ozigbo not being used was a joke. One carry in the first half? How do you go from 170 yards rushing last week to one rush in the first 30 minutes?

2. Penalties are out of control. There were some bad calls, but the main issue is Nebraska being undisciplined.

3. Not going for 2 after the last TD was puzzling, at best.

4. Adrian Martinez is going to be GREAT. He has a ways to go, but I'm very excited about his future.

5. Mo Washington is a talent. I said it after the CU game. He's our most talented RB since Ahman Green.

6. The trio of Adrian, Mo and JD will be DEADLY! Dang good trio to build around.

7. We need an OL. The above won't mean much if we don't improve in a hurry up front.

8. Worst special teams in FBS. The punting is just laughably bad. And no other special teams unit is much better.

9. Cam Taylor needs to start over Eric Lee and Lamar Jackson.

10. Honas going down is huge. #5 just isn't getting it done. The defense as a unit is BAD. Very little fire, getting out-ran, out-muscled, and out-worked.

I still believe in Frost.
1. Badgers were vulnerable via the air. Attack their weakness. Multiple 3-and-outs and short series do not lend itself either.

2. Some real tricky-tacky calls. Two block in the back calls ( one on STs) were real weak. Seems unbalanced as well. I do not believe in conspiracy theories but ....

3. Do it on the next TD not the earlier one. Miss it and your for sure in a three score situation. Besides our short yardage offense has been so good this year.

4. He’s still making freshman mistakes but yes he’s going to be good.

5. Agreed.

6. If JD stays.

7. OL was better I thought. AM puts them into bad situations with his scrambling and unwillingness to stay in the pocket.

8. Glad they made a change at punter. Coverage teams are still poor.

9. Agreed.

10. As *** pointed out in another thread. 5 years, 5 different defensive schemes. Agree on #5.

Last edited:

The running game with Ozigbo could easily have eaten some clock and given the defense a rest. Made no sense to continue to throw in the first half and leave the defense on the field for so many minutes.

Eating the clock does not give the defense more rest. Unless you are talking about the entire game. In actual time......not clock time...….the rest opportunities between series are the same. I really don't see a reason to run the ball when you are that far behind just so you can end the game quicker.

1. Badgers were vulnerable via the air. Attack their weakness. Multiple 3-and-outs and short series do not lend itself either.

2. Some real tricky-tacky calls. Two block in the back calls ( one on STs) were real weak. Seems unbalanced as well. I do not believe in conspiracy theories but ....

3. Do it on the next TD not the earlier one. Miss it and your for sure in a three score situation. Besides our short yardage offense has been so good this year.

4. He’s still making freshman mistakes but yes he’s going to be good.

5. Agreed.

6. If JD stays.

7. OL was better I thought. AM puts them into bad situations with his scrambling and unwillingness to stay in the pocket.

8. Glad they made a change at punter. Coverage teams are still poor.

9. Agreed.

10. As *** pointed out in another thread. 5 years, 5 different defensive schemes. Agree on #5.

I totally disagree with #7. With the exception of a time or two......it was Martinez's legs that kept the play alive. He was usually exiting it because there was no open receivers and or no pocket. Everyone forgets that you can't stand there all day if all the receivers are covered. At some point you need to do something and exiting a breaking down pocket is taught.

No open receivers? That's not at all true.

We should have had 600 yards passing against these guys. We might not have been able to control the clock, but we should have been able to run up the score on this weak Badgers squad. They knew our freshman QB doesn't read pre-snap well and kept Martinez distracted. We had guys running free in their secondary all night. I can't believe we only connected on one long throw. The Badgers are replacing quite a few studs from last year and were vulnerable to big plays worse than I ever remember them being in the past decade.

Our O-line takes a lot of undeserved criticism. They are not terrible at pass protection and they had good surge off the ball all night. If everyone was on the same page we could have scored 60 tonight behind that line. Honestly, I don't see the abject failure that people keep bemoaning about.

Ozigbo is pretty good, but Washington was hot. You stick to hot players. Washington truly showed some flexibility in how he can be utilized, which has to absolutely terrify teams further down the schedule. He could eventually play on Sundays whereas Ozigbo - for as much as I like his grit - just doesn't have the speed and acceleration to likely get drafted.

The biggest problem on the team is penalties, with special teams a close second. And then we have a defensive front seven getting blown off the ball from week to week. Not a lot of playmaking going on with the D. Solve those three issues we at least get to .600 ball. I'd like to see .875 ball, but we are short a few dozen workhorses for that.

Last edited:

Eating the clock does not give the defense more rest. Unless you are talking about the entire game. In actual time......not clock time...….the rest opportunities between series are the same. I really don't see a reason to run the ball when you are that far behind just so you can end the game quicker.
Don't tell Oklahoma that

The defense played well in the first half but being put back on the field after two incomplete passes or a sack puts them back on the field too quickly . The Huskers were in the game at 3-0 6-0 and even 13-3 but not being able to drive the ball with the run game in the first half kept the defense on the field. Nebraska’s defense fresh in the first half but got tired in the second half. They need more points in the first half but that’s going to come. Martinez is 18 years old and missed his entire senior year. A solid running game helps wear out the opponents defense opening up the passing game.
I guess the point I’m making is Nebraska needs more run -pass balance in the first half because it wears down the opponents defense.I was listening to the Wisconsin radio the first half and they were surprised Ozigbo wasn’t being used. After his 172 yards last week they thought they’d see him all night.

As to #1: You do know the game plan changes every week and is tailored to the team we are playing. I thought we had a good overall game plan and that the coaches called a good game. IMO

+1

The game plan was to work their shorthanded secondary and they did a decent job of it.

We maybe could have seen a few more carry’s by Ozigbo, but probably not like last week.

The running game with Ozigbo could easily have eaten some clock and given the defense a rest. Made no sense to continue to throw in the first half and leave the defense on the field for so many minutes.
Seems like you are just looking for something to whine and criticize about. So you would have gone with only running Ozigbo and eschewing the pass in the first half? Have you seen the game stats? Note the number of passing yards NU gained. The game plan was to attack Wisky's weakness--their secondary and mix in the run around that. I think they did a good job of working that game plan. We moved the ball on them but penalties, as usual, killed our offensive consistency.

Not happy with the penalties again, but they were more "stomachable" this time around. 2-4 ticky-tack calls that shouldn't have been made. Most of the holding was due to our guy simply getting beat by a better player and trying to do what they could. Those last kind aren't good but they are understandable. They are made by guys who are giving one last effort to keep their QB safe. They kill us, but they aren't dumb mistakes, as such.

I totally disagree with #7. With the exception of a time or two......it was Martinez's legs that kept the play alive. He was usually exiting it because there was no open receivers and or no pocket. Everyone forgets that you can't stand there all day if all the receivers are covered. At some point you need to do something and exiting a breaking down pocket is taught.
I agree with you that Martinez had to roll out are scramble to keep plays alive. Lots of quarterbacks do that and their lines don’t hold. I also think AM bailed a few times when he shouldn’t have but can we blame him! Our line cost us on at least two drives that looked like we could get points on. The defense just doesn’t have the dudes to be good. I think it’s that simple on defense. I also agree the game plan was good.

BYU beat Wisconsin by going into Madison and running all over the Badgers. I'm not saying Ziggy should have had 20 carries, but 1 carry in the first half? When Martinez and the offense were struggling a bit?

What? In the 4th quarter, Nebraska was down 24 points. They scored a TD to bring it to 18 points. Had they gone for two and gotten it, they would have been down 16 points, or two scores. Instead we kicked the XP and stayed down 17 points, or three scores.

A few minutes later, with 5 minutes left we were driving down 17 points when we could have been driving down just two scores. Terrible decision to not go for 2.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back